Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

wefoij

Obsidian questions

wefoij    60

I want to be an obsidian master smith. I want to build 2 chests completely filled with obsidian spears and armor.

So before I go plan this playthrough, got one important question: What's the best way to renew obsidian?

Is it:

1. Gather a s*** ton of ice while waiting for dry season

2. dance around on an island during dry season waiting or volcano eruptions

3. Use the ice on the resulting lava pits to get obsidian.

I don't like this because this ain't year-round.

The other source is Obsidian boulders, but the don't starve wiki is kind of mum on their respawn mechanics. Is it also dry season volcano eruptions? How do you people get the massive amounts of gunpowder required to mine these boulders? How do you renew nitre in SW? Is it better to farm slurtles for their slime in a RoG world and bring a massive supply of them over?

FreyaMaluk    5859
2 hours ago, someonenoone11 said:

I want to be an obsidian master smith. I want to build 2 chests completely filled with obsidian spears and armor.

So before I go plan this playthrough, got one important question: What's the best way to renew obsidian?

Is it:

1. Gather a s*** ton of ice while waiting for dry season

2. dance around on an island during dry season waiting or volcano eruptions

3. Use the ice on the resulting lava pits to get obsidian.

I don't like this because this ain't year-round.

The other source is Obsidian boulders, but the don't starve wiki is kind of mum on their respawn mechanics. Is it also dry season volcano eruptions? How do you people get the massive amounts of gunpowder required to mine these boulders? How do you renew nitre in SW? Is it better to farm slurtles for their slime in a RoG world and bring a massive supply of them over?

if you have woodlegs with you, this is not a problem since he can make coconades and gunwoder renewable...

wefoij    60
7 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

if you have woodlegs with you, this is not a problem since he can make coconades and gunwoder renewable...

I gotta be wendy, no debate about that :(

Main reason I play this game is because of abigail. I only play games where I can summon a powerful minion.

So I take it obsidian boulders only respawn via volcano eruptions, meaning it's also dry season exclusive?

wefoij    60

Volcano Staff destroys obsidian boulders? That's awesome. I'll choose this method.

Can someone please tell me how Obsidian Boulders renew themselves?

FreyaMaluk    5859
On 9/20/2016 at 9:36 PM, someonenoone11 said:

Can someone please tell me how Obsidian Boulders renew themselves?

They don't, but can make obsidian renewable if you extinguish lava pools on land with ice.

FreyaMaluk    5859
On 9/19/2016 at 11:46 PM, someonenoone11 said:

I gotta be wendy, no debate about that :(

Main reason I play this game is because of abigail. I only play games where I can summon a powerful minion.

So I take it obsidian boulders only respawn via volcano eruptions, meaning it's also dry season exclusive?

Obsidian Boulders do not respawn

wefoij    60

" Obsidian Boulder is also the only boulder type that respawns(other than Moon Rock Boulders). "

Don't Starve Wiki.

Hmm, I wonder why they put that in there then. Maybe someone should remove it.

DarkXero    2892

Obsidian boulders DO respawn.

local function SetEmpty(inst)
	local sm = GetSeasonManager()
	local days = sm:GetSeasonLength(SEASONS.MILD) + sm:GetSeasonLength(SEASONS.WET) + sm:GetSeasonLength(SEASONS.GREEN) + sm:GetSeasonLength(SEASONS.DRY)
	inst.components.growable:StartGrowing(days * TUNING.TOTAL_DAY_TIME)
	inst.Physics:SetCollides(false)
	inst:AddTag("NOCLICK")
	inst.MiniMapEntity:SetEnabled(false)
	inst:Hide()
end

When they are empty (you mine them), they will be full again after a full year worth of days.

Volcano Staff destroys obsidian boulders? That's awesome. I'll choose this method.

Vocano mining is nice and badass, but don't forget to take some stuff to prevent overheating, or you will be forced to retreat and wait very often during your "mining", and / or to loose a lot of life.

FreyaMaluk    5859
On 9/22/2016 at 5:41 PM, DarkXero said:

Obsidian boulders DO respawn.

local function SetEmpty(inst)
	local sm = GetSeasonManager()
	local days = sm:GetSeasonLength(SEASONS.MILD) + sm:GetSeasonLength(SEASONS.WET) + sm:GetSeasonLength(SEASONS.GREEN) + sm:GetSeasonLength(SEASONS.DRY)
	inst.components.growable:StartGrowing(days * TUNING.TOTAL_DAY_TIME)
	inst.Physics:SetCollides(false)
	inst:AddTag("NOCLICK")
	inst.MiniMapEntity:SetEnabled(false)
	inst:Hide()
end

When they are empty (you mine them), they will be full again after a full year worth of days.

Wow.... that's news flash for me

Thanks.... it's very useful to know how to read the source code oft this game..