Lots of Newbie Questions

1. According to this post by a staff member:

Spider Queens aren't supposed to leave a tier 1 spider den behind when they emerge from their nest, but the wiki disagrees, and is quite specific in its mechanics.

So my question is, are spider eggs a renewable item to all characters other than webber? Can I eventually cover the entire map in spider dens if I wanted to? OR, is this a glitch, spider eggs are non-renewable, and the wiki is just describing a bug?

2. Is Maxwell a balanced character? Or is he a super-hard-to-unlock-mega-powerful boss character?

3. Whats the best source of renewable, reliable, consistent meat? I've been building an ungodly amount of pig houses (20), shoving monster meat I got from spiders down their throats, and killing the resulting werepigs. Is there a better way?

4. Those of you who use night armor, how do you control your sanity? -10sanity/min + 10% of the damage turns into sanity. I'm using the Football Helmet to reduce the damage part of the sanity drain, as it also makes the night armor last longer too and gives me 99% damage reduction. Better than a tam o'shanter in my opinion. I'm also currently using massive amounts of Jerky like a fuel pump to keep my sanity above 30. Is there a better method? The other sanity increasing items are too hard to acquire en masse.

5. Giant spawn location. What are the exact mechanics? Do they spawn near me, or do they spawn near the first time I get a warning sign? They've wiped out my spider farms one too many times and I'm scared they might wipe out my camp! If its the former I plan on jumping down the nearest wormhole and making the destination a fire-pit-lit arena. If it's the latter I'm screwed. Like how close do they spawn near you? Sometimes deerclops spawns right under me and starts destroying my base, other times he spawns so far away I have to hunt him down.

6. What are the exact mechanics of shadow creatures disappearing? I've noticed sometimes, once they disappear when hit, they don't reappear, resulting in 0 nightmare fuel after wasting weapon durability. Do they disappear if a pig comes by? If they touch a campfire?

7. Has anyone tried to perpetually stay at 0 sanity? Like fight bosses and such. If there was a trick to this it would make my life a ton easier as I can survive solely on monster jerky and do the werepig thing soley for hambats.

8. What do you guys do in winter and summer? This is what I do:

Autumn: Build most of the base
Winter: Skip. Stay in base and amass food supply by jerkifying spiders and pigs
Spring: Build the rest of the base
Summer: Farm a ton of Nightmare fuel while dancing around a twig-powered endothermic fire. Also use a siesta to skip most of it since it is sooooo boring.

Autumn:Spelunking, adventure mode, other stuff.

9. For those who start in spring, what do you do? I'm scrambling like hell to get enough resources to survive spring's sanity apocalypse caused by rain, and when I do make it past that, I just spend the entire summer eating cacti while sitting around an endothermic fire pit with the wood I massed in the earlier season. 0 progress in the game until I hit autumn. Is starting in spring just a painful 2month delay to the game for you guys too? Or can you guys actually make progress in your base construction in spring and summer even without an ice flingomatic?

I can't really answer all of these but i can answer some.

1. I don't know about this one since i haven't fought many spider queens lately, the last 2 i fought didn't leave a den behind so i think the wiki is describing an old bug that got fixed? (maybe)

2. Not sure what to say here, he can have alot of his shadow companions from the Codex Umbra to help him, and he can use the night armor and sword more efficently. But he does have only 75 health which goes down even more if you are out of touchstones and build a meat effigy. He has alot of advantages, but that also means alot of disadvantages.

3. To get pigs killed quickly, i feed some of them the monster meat and order them to attack the other pigs which can result in a war, you can easily kill the rest (if any survive) by kiting.

4. I usually maintain my sanity by eating taffy which can be made with 4 honey in a crock pot (i think there is a way to make it with some honey and a filler) Honey is easy to get with a couple bee boxes and a fair amount of flowers nearby.

5. Giants spawn near you, they won't spawn on the other side of the map, after the warning they will spawn somewhere near you, but not too near to you to attack you out of nowhere

6. I noticed that they sometimes dissapear without reapearing when hit aswell, i think this might be if a fight takes too long, i don't know. But shadow creatures will dissapear if you are running, and you don't let them hit you for some time

7. There are items that when equipped drain your sanity. However, perpetually staying at 0 would just kill you because you'd have to never kill a Nightmare Monster, since that yields some sanity points.

8. During Autumn I build a temporary but solid base unless I find this setpiece, upon which I always mount my permanent base, and prepare for Winter. I always like to have a Koalefant track near me in the last day of Autumn, since I can then right away hunt for a Winter Koalefant Trunk and make the Puffy Vest. If I have found a MacTusk campsite, I surround it with Spider Dens, which makes for an amazing farm of silk and hound's teeth, as well as possibly Walrus Tusks and Tam O' Shanter. In Winter I do two things: explore (in order to keep resources abundant and gather lots of ice) and kill mountains upon mountains Snowbirds, in order to farm for a Krampus Sack and also have lots of Azure Feathers, which I then use mostly to make Blow Darts. In Spring I do whatever is most convenient, but since Frog Rain is >the< thorn straight up in my side, I almost always end up spelunking and starting a base in the Caves. Besides that, this is when I normally gather the rotten eggs left by Penguins and make them into Gunpowder to kill the Dragonfly or farm some Nightmare Fuel. In Summer I always try to keep myself far away from my base, and mostly use it to explore the deserts thoroughly, farming for hound's teeth, and wait for the Giant. Autumn again, I start making my killing grounds, making farms, herding beefalo, etc. etc.

9. I get no big difference from starting in Autumn, it's just a bit harsher and requires a bit more care. 

On 7/16/2016 at 1:56 PM, someonenoone11 said:

So my question is, are spider eggs a renewable item to all characters other than webber? Can I eventually cover the entire map in spider dens if I wanted to? OR, is this a glitch, spider eggs are non-renewable, and the wiki is just describing a bug?

Tier 3 Spider dens always drop a spider egg sack... a queen will emerge when a tier 3 den is left long enough... with that, kill the queen, get a sack from her, wait for the den she left behind to grow to tier 3 and wait for another queen...

2. Is Maxwell a balanced character? Or is he a super-hard-to-unlock-mega-powerful boss character?

"Hard" to unlock would be subjective based on a player's experience, but it's a decent run if you're starting out... he comes with a Dark Sword, a Night Armor, a Purple Gem, and some nightmare fuel... but he has a max 75 health so he's very weak against damage although he has passive (and massive) sanity regen... equipping his Night Armor early game is recommended (or get a log suit as it is cheaper) as his sanity perk will nullify the sanity drain from a Night Armor... (basically, he's a reward character)

3. Whats the best source of renewable, reliable, consistent meat? I've been building an ungodly amount of pig houses (20), shoving monster meat I got from spiders down their throats, and killing the resulting werepigs. Is there a better way?

A werepig farm is good... 4 monster meat (raw/cooked/jerky) works for pigs to make werepigs...

Most players, myself included usually set up a Spider farm for their monster meat + a bird cage + crock pots.

Cooked monster meat ----give to bird in bird cage---> eggs (I'd recommend making bacon and eggs = 1 monster meat/Big meat + 1 small meat/big meat + 2 eggs)

4. Those of you who use night armor, how do you control your sanity? -10sanity/min + 10% of the damage turns into sanity. I'm using the Football Helmet to reduce the damage part of the sanity drain, as it also makes the night armor last longer too and gives me 99% damage reduction. Better than a tam o'shanter in my opinion. I'm also currently using massive amounts of Jerky like a fuel pump to keep my sanity above 30. Is there a better method? The other sanity increasing items are too hard to acquire en masse.

As Maxwell, this is no problem... ;)

Now to control sanity, (for all characters) only equip the night armor for when you actually need to be in combat... a simple way of doing this is using a hotkey (numbers correspond to inventory slots) or using your RMB (right mouse button) to quickly equip it... that way, you don't need to worry about too much sanity drain... (wearinng it drains sanity + sanity drain per hit so minimizing the duration of you wearing it to maximize it)

To the actual combat, yes, your jerky trick is effective. Since most combat only lasts a few seconds (giants take a few seconds as well... maybe a minute or two depending on the situation) So after combat, you just wear a tophat/Tam o Shanter and you're back to normal.

5. Giant spawn location.

They spawn near you, so when you hear their calls, just go as far away from your base as possible to minimize destruction. They spawn about 1 screen away from you in any direction...

6. What are the exact mechanics of shadow creatures disappearing? I've noticed sometimes, once they disappear when hit, they don't reappear, resulting in 0 nightmare fuel after wasting weapon durability. Do they disappear if a pig comes by? If they touch a campfire?

IDK either, sorry... though I have noticed that they disappear after spawning over something else... like a firepit or a bird...

7. Has anyone tried to perpetually stay at 0 sanity? Like fight bosses and such. If there was a trick to this it would make my life a ton easier as I can survive solely on monster jerky and do the werepig thing soley for hambats.

Tried it for about 12 days... it was ok, the nightmare monsters run out after a while and appear after a few days/half a day... just make sure to plan because once I had the lucky event to have a deerclops + hounds + 2 terror beaks on my tail while I was away from base... had to distract the hounds, take on the terror beaks after, then go back to the bearger before it destroys the manicured forest I made...

(Killing nightmare monsters give sanity so yeah, monster meat/green shrooms/rotting food is good...)

8. What do you guys do in winter and summer? This is what I do:

Basically what you also stated... though in winter, you can also do the nightmare monster farming on top of the "McTusk Hunt: The hunter becomes the prey"... farm his hounds for blue gems and then make a Snow Chester (Firdge Chester using 9 Blue gems - 1 gem in each inventory slot he has then wait for a full moon to transform him)... then make 1-2 stacks of Jerky, and a few bacon and eggs and store all that in Chester then go spelunking... the Rabbits won't attack and you get a portable and mobile Ice Box... great if you want to spelunk in summer too since you can cool thermal/heat stones in him...

9. For those who start in spring, what do you do?

Well, it is a bit tougher than autumn but you can get a parasol using 6 petals, some twigs and some grass... that should mitigate wetness for a bit before you can get the good stuff... think of it as like always wearing a walking cane, but it's a parasol ;)

Green Mushrooms are a god send as well, and standing under a tree while equipping the parasol and have a camp fire close by should help as well...

Or can you guys actually make progress in your base construction in spring and summer even without an ice flingomatic?

Practice, practice, practice ;) Just remember to explore and pick up things for a base while moving and you can usually get a base with at least 2 crockpots, a tent, an icebox, and an alchemy engine ready a few days before winter... but when I start in Spring, I usually make a mock-camp with all that and spread them around so they're far enough to not spread fire, and go to my construction site where I plan to actually make my real base by making foundations (flooring and and walls to get the image and size of my base's set up)

2015-06-09_00001.jpg

(the stone walls, may or may not have been conjured up as they are only for aesthetics to make a throne hehehe the rest is legit)

8 hours ago, Masterofstarve said:

4. I usually maintain my sanity by eating taffy which can be made with 4 honey in a crock pot (i think there is a way to make it with some honey and a filler) Honey is easy to get with a couple bee boxes and a fair amount of flowers nearby.

Taffy gives same amount of sanity as Jerkies so... I don't think its efficient effort-wise.

4 hours ago, Asparagus said:

Tier 3 Spider dens always drop a spider egg sack... a queen will emerge when a tier 3 den is left long enough... with that, kill the queen, get a sack from her, wait for the den she left behind to grow to tier 3 and wait for another queen...

Sometimes the Queen does NOT leave a den behind, but I think the wiki is right. The Queens started not leaving den behinds when there was 4 in the area.

Thanks for the replies!

Theoretically, you can cover the world with spider eggs with any character

All other questions are answered I’ll just add a few things to do every seasons:

Autumn: if starting day:

Explore, Secure constant food, start base, prepare for winter. Else, Explore, expand base

Winter:

Hunt mactusk for tam-o-shanter, tusk and blue gems. Else, hunt azure feather and acquire deerclops eye, expand base

Spring: if starting day

Control wetness, secure constant food, build temp.base, prepare for summer. Else, farm down feathers expand base

Summer:

If ice chester is available, explore caves or ruins with him. Else, acquire dragonfly scales, expand base

Any season:

Make houndius Shootius

--Maxwell's fuctionality as a character others have covered--great sanity, weak HP, starts off with a cool magic book, shadow sword and armour.  As for how hard he is to unlock...to ME he's really bloody hard, but that's because I suck at Adventure Mode and find it ungodly frustrating.

--Meat--depends on how much you're looking for.  I always like to have a base near rabbits first of all, 'cos except for spring they'll give you at least SOME meat that doesn't try to kill you back, and that + 3 berries makes a filling meatball.  Also look for ponds. Beat up frogs by day and fish by dusk--but bring armour, as frogs swarm you.  Save your monster meat from hound attacks and spider raids.  Grab fish and frog legs when you explore the swamp.  Hunt the koalephants.  And, if you get desperate, try a beefalo.  Goats, moleworms, catcoons, birds and buzzards...there's a wide variety of sources.  A combination of these should net you a reasonably steady meat supply.

--Giants--far as I know, they spawn near where the warning is, but they don't like, fully...manifest? until you actually see them/see the ground shake.  Put it this way:  I've gone down a wormhole after hearing Deerclops's heavy breathing to quickly get away from him--only to find him waiting for me on the other side!

My favourite tactic for the base-wrecking giants in singleplayer is to not be AT my base when they appear, and I can safely ditch them in the wilderness until they despawn at the season change.  Killing them would be nice, but for me it's not a year-1 thing.  It takes longer to get the right resources.

--I'm kinda atypical, but I sorta keep doing the same things all year round--i.e., some building the base, and some exploring, hunting and gathering for food to keep me alive WHILE I build the base/materials for the base itself.  Advantages:  I'm often nowhere near home when Deerclops, Bearger or Dragonfy appears, and can just let them do their thing far away in the forest.  Disadvantages:  I need more wood, grass and/or nitre for fires to keep my temperature regulated when out and about in the harsher seasons, and I go through seasonal clothing a little faster.

But, seriously, in winter and summer the food doesn't grow back.  You're gonna run out, so COMPLETELY turtling isn't really an option.  I wouldn't do it even if it was, 'cos can we say BOOOO-rrriiinnnngggg!

--Starting in spring:  My main objective is to find gears so I can have a fling-o-matic and mine at least a LITTLE of the quickly-melting glaciers before they're all gone.  If I can't, I make a secondary base and stay there all season (minus hunter-gatherer time).  I also look for pigskins and spiders early on so I can make a proper umbrella.  Also pitchfork up the wooden flooring from the touchstones so lureplants can't spawn right in your camp's goddamn face. : P

....Notorious

Archived