How do I get more flint when I run out of rocks?

I've heard that the caves in the single player are the only renewable source of flint. How do they work? I've heard that if you use gunpowder in a cave it causes an earthquake and flint will fall from the ceiling. Is that the only way to get more flint once you run out of rocks? Any advice on this would be helpful.

They can appear from earthquakes, dropped by RockLobsters (But they are hard to kill),  and sometimes they appear by digging Mole Burrows(if you are playing with RoG).

If you want flint for the crafting of tools, i recomend you to use gold instead, you can get infinite gold way more easily than flint by the use of the pig king.

To be honest if you got the Alchemy Engine you should never use basetools every again and rather use the golden ones since gold as mentioned is infinite in an easy to get way while flint is a lot more annoying to gather later on.

As for Caves. Basicly the caves are not much different from the overworld. Well if we ignore the eternal darkness that is.

If you really want to get into spelunking you need a Miners Hat since you want to keep your hands and chestslots free for other items (tools, weapons backpacks and armors). Also have some spare fireflys on you to refill the hat if nessesary until you find the Lightbulb plants.

Earthquakes just happen from time to time. Not sure if there is a timer because during one of my longer spelunking sessions I had only 2 Earthquakes while I had more frequent ones during shorter sessions.

Another important thing to note is the season you want to spelunk. Cause depending on the season certaint things change like during spring you get wet 24/7 without any wetness protection. For first timers I say Autumm or Winter are the best seasons to get into spelunking.

Also just a word of advice but keep an eye open for the Bunnyman as they attack you if you have any meat in your inventory (a good idea is to store meat in chester if you have him)

20 hours ago, Soto8969 said:

They can appear from earthquakes, dropped by RockLobsters (But they are hard to kill),  and sometimes they appear by digging Mole Burrows(if you are playing with RoG).

If you want flint for the crafting of tools, i recomend you to use gold instead, you can get infinite gold way more easily than flint by the use of the pig king.

Yeah, I was thinking of looking for the pig king to just use golden tools, but I rarely ever find him. Any tips on finding him, does he always spawn? Should I be looking for him first before I make my camp?

Yes, Golden Tools are your go to options for everything after the early game. Fact is, you don't need Gold for many other things and Golden Tools have very high durability. On top of that, the Pig King makes it an infinite resource (recommended to give him Monster Jerky as it's cheap and abundant from Spiders/Hounds).

As for Flint, you should really consider making a Moleworm farm. Use any rock/flint/mineral as bait, hit them with a hammer as they come out of the ground and pick them up. Then drop them somewhere where they're not in your way but you can still get there easily. Then just keep catching and releasing them a day later without digging up their burrows. Burrows spawn a new moleworm everyday you see, so you can get as many as you want. Once you have a good amount you can just dig up all the burrows for rocks/flint/nitre/gold and let the little guys dig new ones.

Archived