Can somebody tell me what this is?

It's a new feature, Resource Variants, added in

Starting Variety controls how many of these resource changes are present at the time of the world creation.

Changing Resources controls how many of these resource changes occur during later the gameplay.

Hi !

I know this topic is going to be old now, but i don't think it's necessary to make another one for my question...

Can you explain more than

On 22/04/2016 at 11:56 AM, Muche said:

Starting Variety controls how many of these resource changes are present at the time of the world creation.

Changing Resources controls how many of these resource changes occur during later the gameplay.

please ?

Can you give some examples (or may be a lot) because i do not really understand what will happen if i select :

- Highly random + None

- Highly random + Maximum

- Classic + None

- Classic + Maximum

- Default + None

Etc...

If someone would have the kindness to explain really clearly these features... i would be really pleased.. (because my english is not perfect yet ^^)

Edit : And what affect the "start" option in custom ? i don't understand "plus" and "dark" ...

• Developer

Hey Ov3rlord91, 

Some resources now have new ways they can be gathered. For example,there are two types of basic "twig" generators. Saplings, and Twiggy Trees. There can only be one type in a world at a time.  

Starting Variety is used to control what resources the world is generated with. Saplings are a default item. But if you turn this on, you might see Twiggy Trees instead, starting from Day 1. 

Changing Resources is used to control how many resources will change each game year. For example, If you want a chance that after a year or two in game yourTwiggy Trees will go away and the world will be populated with Saplings, turn this on. 

- Highly random + None =  Many of the default resources will be of a new variety, Grass Gekko's, Twiggy Trees, Juicy Berries, and they will stay forever, the original default items will never replace them over the years. 

- Highly random + Maximum = Many of the default resources will be of a new variety, and many of them will change back and forth to their original variety each year.  

- Classic + None = this will be like the old game. No new resources, nothing changes from year to year.

- Classic + Maximum = The world will start like the classic game, but each year, new stuff will swap out the old stuff. 

- Default + None = Default means that there will probably be one, maybe two of the new resources from the start. Though, there could be no new ones. It might be all original variety. It's random. And, whatever gets randomly chosen will stay forever and not change through the years.

8 hours ago, Ov3rlord91 said:

And what affect the "start" option in custom ? i don't understand "plus" and "dark" ...

See

, the post uses identifiers as they are used internally in the game, not as as they displayed in the UI, but it gives a good overview IMHO.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Hey Ov3rlord91, 

Some resources now have new ways they can be gathered. For example,there are two types of basic "twig" generators. Saplings, and Twiggy Trees. There can only be one type in a world at a time.  

Starting Variety is used to control what resources the world is generated with. Saplings are a default item. But if you turn this on, you might see Twiggy Trees instead, starting from Day 1. 

Changing Resources is used to control how many resources will change each game year. For example, If you want a chance that after a year or two in game yourTwiggy Trees will go away and the world will be populated with Saplings, turn this on. 

- Highly random + None =  Many of the default resources will be of a new variety, Grass Gekko's, Twiggy Trees, Juicy Berries, and they will stay forever, the original default items will never replace them over the years. 

- Highly random + Maximum = Many of the default resources will be of a new variety, and many of them will change back and forth to their original variety each year.  

- Classic + None = this will be like the old game. No new resources, nothing changes from year to year.

- Classic + Maximum = The world will start like the classic game, but each year, new stuff will swap out the old stuff. 

- Default + None = Default means that there will probably be one, maybe two of the new resources from the start. Though, there could be no new ones. It might be all original variety. It's random. And, whatever gets randomly chosen will stay forever and not change through the years.

I know I wasn't the one asking, but this clarifies a lot. Thank you.

Can the "Changing Resources" part be explained with details? So that means the world naturally "regenerates" by default without any mods? Does it only swaps diceased resources or burned resources too?

• Developer

When a resource changes, it doesn't replace each single item with a new item. All of one type of an item goes away, and a new type of item will begin to fill the world. The new items follow similar rules for density and growth location as in the world gen. It just happens over a few days. 

If you somehow managed to burn down every twiggy tree in your world, and sometime in the year, twiggy trees became diseased (though you wouldn't see it cause they are all gone), you would start finding saplings growing in places saplings usually grow in. 

Archived