Why do the caves, ruins, and now volcanoes still break the game so tremendously?

I really, really love this game. I can't think of a whole lot of games I've gotten this many hours out of. But one thing is really starting to irk me as my new Shipwrecked save becomes a mess: why in the world do the caves, ruins, and now volcanoes still turn the game upside down? They've been implemented for three years now, and these weird problems with world time and seasons and stuff are still an issue. Why is it still like this?

I left one of the world's two doydoys die in Shipwrecked. I'd rather not explain why; suffice it to say I felt pretty stupid. Because of this, I decided that after prototyping as much stuff as I could stand to and amassing as much of some of the more precious resources as I could that I'd hop worlds. Got all the teleportato pieces together, moved along. World's days played counter didn't turn over for some reason (could be intended I guess? It had an unexpected effect on my first hound attack) but whatever. As I was exploring, looking for swordfish spawn points and what have you, I discovered the volcano for the first time, and decided to go in and have a look, and instantly, the clock went nuts. A half a dozen days or so suddenly went missing, seasons seemed to bug out, the works. After fooling around for a little I went to establish a base and when the next full moon came it lasted four days before time seemed to return to normal. The next full moon came earlier than I thought it should -- not sure if I lost track of time or it was still messed up -- and when it did I decided I'd save and quit for some no-hassle spawning of mushtrees since I needed some logs anyway. Save looks fine in the menu, but when I start it up? The mushtrees spawn, alright, but the game rewinds a day and a half. Okay, whatever. Wait a day for the full moon to come back and try saving and quitting again, and the exact same thing happens.

Yeah, I know it's a Shipwrecked world and it's still buggy and what have you but the exact same sort of thing /still/ happens in the base game. Why is this still so messed up? Can we maybe set down DST for a bit and get stuff like this worked out? It seems completely unreasonable for these features to still be broken the way they are. Apparently the rock lobster thing got fixed; how are beefalo doing in the caves? Do they still ceaselessly try to move towards a location that doesn't exist?

Archived