Late Game

Alright, no major changes will be done. I can live with that. But there's a severe lack of endgame/late game content in SW beyond Coffee, abundance of Gears, and doydoys(all 3 of which are also not really late game, but lategame you will have nothing else to focus on but these 3, really).

Vanilla also lacked endgame content, but it had Caves and Ruins. RoG added so much lategame(giants who kept you playing for at least 3 in game years, the years becoming less repetitive, new challanges, tumbleweeds to renew resources who ran out already, new characters to make the exprience fresh again, etc.).

I'm at day 200 and something in SW and honestly? All the endgame content that is left to find out, is found out. at the same time I have a RoG run at the same amount of days, but still is going. 

Please Klei/Capy, add endgame. Look at what worked for RoG and Vanilla and imitate that. 

I actually think that SW's endgame is far better than RoG's, if you're the sort of guy that wants a megabase.

For a starter, you don't need icefling-o-matics covering everything. This means that your bases can be massive, which was something that I found problematic with RoG. I have a Wilson world at day ~300 in RoG and have a decent base. But the problem of smoldering means that it only covers the area of about 3 ice fling-o-matics, and expanding it further would make Summer hell.

Secondly, having 3 ruins was the worst design choice ever. Once you've cleared out one, you don't really need to do the others (I only use 1 houndius shootius, and that's in my berry farm); and if you do choose to clear them out, you may lose the will to live because it gets hella repetitive. I had to completely stop a Wolfgang world at day ~400 because the ruins were so boring to clear out, and I was aiming to get everything. Now, I'm not saying that Shipwrecked did this better by having only one volcano. But they could've improved RoG's late game by having one ruins entrance that spawns in one of the caves that would be the combined size of 3 ruins.

Thirdly, in Shipwrecked it is much more time consuming to gather all the plantables on the map. Whether you do this or not, it's a cool way to pass time late-game and gives you the biggest, most awesome farms (even bigger now without the need for fling-o-matics). In RoG, I usually have 80% of the berry bushes in my base and fertilised by the first Winter. For this reason, I very rarely leave base later on. 

And that leads on to my final point. In Shipwrecked, there are a bunch of things that you need to travel to if you want them. These things - like swordfish, the slot machine, Yaarctopus and brainy sprout - are useful even in the late game. But in RoG, you don't really need to leave base because the majority of important stuff is replantable or non-renewable. And some of the things that are static yet still important - like the pig king and caves - are rarely visited because you can get everything you need from them in one sitting.

Here are my own ideas for how end game could be improved, and this also includes RoG's mistakes as well as SW's:

*Expand the volcano. As many others have noted, it's a bit bland at the moment. If you're not going to add anything new, at least make it generate the inside a bit larger and give it some more dragoons.

*Mix up the boss loot. Make it so that there are multiple different items that a giant can drop, and there's a random chance of some or one of them dropping when it has been killed. This would remove the problem of every boss you killed after the first just provided extras, except the Moose/Goose, of its drops. It would also keep gameplay interesting over the course of a few years rather than just 1 lucky season cycle.

*IF you add more cave-like stuff to Shipwrecked, make it different to the volcano! If RoG and the vanilla game can teach you anything, it's that having 3 entrances to the same sorta thing is basically pointless.

*Make new stuff spawn on islands every year. This would give us reason to leave our base and explore in the late-game, and would remove the 'end point' of base building where there are no more plantables left. 

13 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

least make it generate the inside a bit larger and give it some more dragoons.

*Mix up the boss loot. Make it so that there are multiple different items that a giant can drop, and there's a random chance of some or one of them dropping when it has been killed. This would remove the problem of every boss you killed after the first just provided extras, except the Goose/Moose, of its drops. It would also keep gameplay interesting over the course of a few years rather than just 1 lucky season cycle.

*IF you add more cave-like stuff to Shipwrecked, make it different to the volcano! If RoG and the vanilla game can teach you anything, it's that having 3 entrances to the same sorta thing is basically pointless.

*Make new stuff spawn on islands every year. This would give us reason to leave our base and explore in the late-game, and would remove the 'end point' of base building where there are no more plantables left. 

Base building is great, but these points. These are what I meant. 

On 3/25/2016 at 1:04 PM, AnonymousKoala said:

Alright, no major changes will be done. I can live with that. But there's a severe lack of endgame/late game content in SW beyond Coffee, abundance of Gears, and doydoys(all 3 of which are also not really late game, but lategame you will have nothing else to focus on but these 3, really).

Vanilla also lacked endgame content, but it had Caves and Ruins. RoG added so much lategame(giants who kept you playing for at least 3 in game years, the years becoming less repetitive, new challanges, tumbleweeds to renew resources who ran out already, new characters to make the exprience fresh again, etc.).

I'm at day 200 and something in SW and honestly? All the endgame content that is left to find out, is found out. at the same time I have a RoG run at the same amount of days, but still is going. 

Please Klei/Capy, add endgame. Look at what worked for RoG and Vanilla and imitate that. 

I can't agree more.After you survive the first year the game has nothing more to offer than basebuilding.I know to do something  like  the caves/ruins takes alot of time.But the game will be completed if they add something for late game other than basebuilding(Dry season boss and more creatures in sea would be cool too but that's off topic.

I just thought I'd mention that RoG becomes a waiting game for the next Autumn once you start exploring the ruins.

I can assure you that this gets incredibly boring, especially if you're doing 1 ruins per season. At least I can just leave on my boat and live like a nomad for a year in Shipwrecked if I want to, right?

On 3/26/2016 at 10:56 AM, Bianto said:

I can't agree more.After you survive the first year the game has nothing more to offer than basebuilding.I know to do something  like  the caves/ruins takes alot of time.But the game will be completed if they add something for late game other than basebuilding(Dry season boss and more creatures in sea would be cool too but that's off topic.

Messing around with game mechanics. One reason why crafting tables need to be merged with RoG/SW.

Honestly the best design choice that could be made to improve end game Don't Starve right now since unlimited worlds/ruins raiding is now a thing. It adds a ton more creativity to the game and gives people stuff to tinker with. 

1 hour ago, DeputyDeath said:

I just thought I'd mention that RoG becomes a waiting game for the next Autumn once you start exploring the ruins.

I can assure you that this gets incredibly boring, especially if you're doing 1 ruins per season. At least I can just leave on my boat and live like a nomad for a year in Shipwrecked if I want to, right?

Disagree with this. Ruins can easily be explored any and all seasons very easily. Winter and Summer have more mild temps in caves and Springs rain can actually be used to your advantage with the morning star and quick mushroom regrowth. 

Spring = Raincoat, moggles, morning star, and all the blue mushies grow back really quick because of rain, and body armor.

Summer = Chilled amulet, moggles, and body armor.

Winter = Hibernation vest for sanity and warm, moggles, obsidian spear, and body armor.

On 3/25/2016 at 4:34 PM, DeputyDeath said:

I actually think that SW's endgame is far better than RoG's, if you're the sort of guy that wants a megabase.

For a starter, you don't need icefling-o-matics covering everything. This means that your bases can be massive, which was something that I found problematic with RoG. I have a Wilson world at day ~300 in RoG and have a decent base. But the problem of smoldering means that it only covers the area of about 3 ice fling-o-matics, and expanding it further would make Summer hell.

Secondly, having 3 ruins was the worst design choice ever. Once you've cleared out one, you don't really need to do the others (I only use 1 houndius shootius, and that's in my berry farm); and if you do choose to clear them out, you may lose the will to live because it gets hella repetitive. I had to completely stop a Wolfgang world at day ~400 because the ruins were so boring to clear out, and I was aiming to get everything. Now, I'm not saying that Shipwrecked did this better by having only one volcano. But they could've improved RoG's late game by having one ruins entrance that spawns in one of the caves that would be the combined size of 3 ruins.

Thirdly, in Shipwrecked it is much more time consuming to gather all the plantables on the map. Whether you do this or not, it's a cool way to pass time late-game and gives you the biggest, most awesome farms (even bigger now without the need for fling-o-matics). In RoG, I usually have 80% of the berry bushes in my base and fertilised by the first Winter. For this reason, I very rarely leave base later on.  

I disagree and think RoG end game is a lot more in depth, especially for base building. SW is really lacking end game at the moment.

Most people with large bases don't stay in their main base for the Summer so you don't need flingomatics to cover everything.

Fun fact: A lot of the more advance players are teching in either lureplants or mobs/items that can start rain to counter smouldering.

Smouldering is easily counterable by lureplants. Lureplants always smoulder before anything else on screen. They'll catch on fire before anything else ALWAYS if they're on screen. They will also catch on fire and put themselves out three times before burning to death. Meaning you can just beat them up and replant them once at the start of Summer and once in the middle. I've had them in my Summer base for 1k+ days and stuff has never started smouldering before my lureplants. Crack a Mossling egg in your summer base, keep the Mosslings penned, and you'll have permanent rain all Summer. I've been using Mosslings every other Summer and it completely prevents smouldering from even happening. If you start rain when something is already smouldering, the smouldering effect stops after two seconds. SW has made it even easier with the introduction of the conch, and the dripple pipe.

That's right... you can remain in your huge base without any flingomatics if you drop some plants or control the weather! Weather control is the kind of end game I was begging for before Shipwrecked was released, but I do wish there were more consequences of abusing/controling the environment.

I like that there are three ruins compared to one and clearing out the ruins was the most fun part during my adventure to my current world. I wish there more to be honest. Now I'm in my final world after hopping "six" times and wish I had more houndius. I guess it's different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't stop playing a save because I didn't want to raid the ruins though, I'd find something else to do.

As for gathering materials/plantables end game, this is not something that I consider "end game." We need less pointless grind. Rarely leave base? You have to make the whole world your base. The biggest canvas is the entire map. Thanks to SW, I'll finally be able to clear out a lot of the empty space in my current world's map.

As for adding more end game and more content in general SW, I really like Ack's, KCDA's and my suggestions here:

Bonus older pictures of my summer lureplant setup:

Lureplants bby

Lureplants 2

14 hours ago, Moon64 said:

I disagree and think RoG end game is a lot more in depth, especially for base building. SW is really lacking end game at the moment.

Most people with large bases don't stay in their main base for the Summer so you don't need flingomatics to cover everything.

Fun fact: A lot of the more advance players are teching in either lureplants or mobs/items that can start rain to counter smouldering.

Smouldering is easily counterable by lureplants. Lureplants always smoulder before anything else on screen. They'll catch on fire before anything else ALWAYS if they're on screen. They will also catch on fire and put themselves out three times before burning to death. Meaning you can just beat them up and replant them once at the start of Summer and once in the middle. I've had them in my Summer base for 1k+ days and stuff has never started smouldering before my lureplants. Crack a Mossling egg in your summer base, keep the Mosslings penned, and you'll have permanent rain all Summer. I've been using Mosslings every other Summer and it completely prevents smouldering from even happening. If you start rain when something is already smouldering, the smouldering effect stops after two seconds. SW has made it even easier with the introduction of the conch, and the dripple pipe.

That's right... you can remain in your huge base without any flingomatics if you drop some plants or control the weather! Weather control is the kind of end game I was begging for before Shipwrecked was released, but I do wish there were more consequences of abusing/controling the environment.

I like that there are three ruins compared to one and clearing out the ruins was the most fun part during my adventure to my current world. I wish there more to be honest. Now I'm in my final world after hopping "six" times and wish I had more houndius. I guess it's different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't stop playing a save because I didn't want to raid the ruins though, I'd find something else to do.

As for gathering materials/plantables end game, this is not something that I consider "end game." We need less pointless grind. Rarely leave base? You have to make the whole world your base. The biggest canvas is the entire map. Thanks to SW, I'll finally be able to clear out a lot of the empty space in my current world's map.

As for adding more end game and more content in general SW, I really like Ack's, KCDA's and my suggestions here:

Bonus older pictures of my summer lureplant setup:

Lureplants bby

Lureplants 2

I just cover my whole base with fling-o-matics. After using my massive berry farm to produce manure, you really don't have to worry about the fuel cost.

Archived