I Shouldn't Be Alive: Shipwrecked Edition

It was the hurricane season. Dusk is almost over, the night is coming. Strong winds silence everything else around. I hear noises in the wind; what is that, hounds? I am prepared for this, I feel ready. I pick up my lantern this time instead of my miner hat for the first time, equip my armor and make way to my tooth trap field. Sure enough, a number of hungry hounds start chasing me. Between lightning flashes and the intermittent light from krissures, hounds are taken out one by one. Then I notice an unfamiliar sound, like the wind, but not quite. At that fateful moment, a new krissure erupts, revealing a dreadful sight of a tornado, fighting hounds. Once I process what I'm seeing, I freeze in horror for a second, then start running for my life. Too late. Next thing I know, I'm flying towards the Sealnado. A few seconds later it spits me out. I've taken damage but I'm still alive. If had chosen to wear my miner hat instead of using a lantern in favor of wearing a football helmet, I'd be dead.

It isn't over yet. Hounds are still around, and I have a Sealnado to deal with. Then I realize something: My tooth traps... they are all gone... sucked in by the Sealnado and scattered all around. Not much of a choice, I equip my cutlass, and first go after the few remaining hounds. I kill the remaining hounds that were after me. But Sealnado isn't attacking? Why? Because some hounds went on to attack the Sealdano. If Sealnado was still attacking me, I'd be dead.

Hounds seem to be gone. Next target: Sealnado. If I step away, I will get sucked in again, and I can't survive another, so I put on my game face and begin to tank the Sealnado. More hounds come, how many of these things are there? But luckily they come from behind the Sealnado, distracting it while I mercilessly keep cutting it with my cutlass. Screen is becoming pale... I'm losing sanity fast; I close my eyes, accepting defeat, but then a new sound. Sealnado is dead, and I'm still alive. Quick look at the status... 0 sanity, a bit of health left. Shadow creatures start spawning... And another hound appears behind me. I realize it had been distracted by the monster meat scattered around by the Sealnado. It comes and kills the seal, starts eating the meat. Still safe. I dispatch two shadow creatures, get some sanity back, then kill the hound. I have even saved two pieces of meat. Is it over? Finally. I take a deep breath.

I am not sure what had exactly transpired, but I have survived. Then day breaks. Wait a minute... I was using my cutlass, I have a football helmet and log suit on... How did Charlie not get me? Then I see my lantern, the lantern that got yanked out of my hands when I got first sucked in, on the ground, still on, close enough for me to remain in its light radius during this entire ordeal.

I guess the moral of the story is: Lanterns save lives.

Now I need to go and find the rest of the items I had in my inventory when I got sucked in. Some of them are probably eaten by the nearby lure plant, but luckily there was nothing irreplaceable in there.

Archived