mid to late game discussion

So there are a few things i wanted to discuss about SW for mid to late game. 

With the inclusion of the Quacken 

Spoiler

that is spawned by trawl netting and once killed wont respawn until 20 days after being killed

and the loot drops which are awesome, creates a little bit of chaos at sea. When the Quacken is killed he drops a chest and a bag. with every time you kill him he drops another indestructible chest and a bag. the issue i have seen is that floaty boaty knights spawn from these immovable and indestructible chests and once you have killed about 6 quackens you have an armada of knights trying to kill you every time you go out to sail.

It also seems like the knights are a little bugged because after killing them they will respawn in the same area as soon as a couple of days later, for no reason.

With the huge benefits of trawl netting to acquire, typically non renewable, resources. i have found that at the same time you acquire waste items(compass, razors, etc.) that cant be disposed of and take up space. i think it would be nice if there was a disposal system that could get rid of unwanted items. something like a stone backpack that once filled up with stuff and dropped in the ocean would destroy unwanted items. 

I lastly wanted to talk about people opinions of the obsidian tools rework. I completely agree that obsidian tools are awesome and before the "release the quacken" update they became so easy to get that Gold no longer became a concern. since the update these items have become a luxury, which i completely agree with because of their usefulness. My issue then becomes related to the excessive amount of obsidian you acquire in attempt to get a dragoon heart for a single obsidian tool. So a few more uses for obsidian would be well received or maybe allowing obsidian to be used as fuel for obsidian fire pits would also solve this little issue.

Let me know what you guys think and keep it civil. Lol

5 hours ago, martinezxerxes said:

the issue i have seen is that floaty boaty knights spawn from these immovable and indestructible chests and once you have killed about 6 quackens you have an armada of knights trying to kill you every time you go out to sail.

It also seems like the knights are a little bugged because after killing them they will respawn in the same area as soon as a couple of days later, for no reason.

Boat knights spawn in locations where you have killed anything on the ocean. One set will spawn after a cool down period when you visit a place that you have killed anything on the sea. Wiki has more details on this, but basically this is the reason: Boat nights are the navy, and they investigate "suspicious" deaths (= all deaths caused by player) on the ocean. I agree with the problem of boat knights filling the world though. I'd not mind a more permanent solution to having boat knights around.

With the huge benefits of trawl netting to acquire, typically non renewable, resources. i have found that at the same time you acquire waste items(compass, razors, etc.) that cant be disposed of and take up space. i think it would be nice if there was a disposal system that could get rid of unwanted items. something like a stone backpack that once filled up with stuff and dropped in the ocean would destroy unwanted items. 

Disposal isn't the problem, those items should not be in the trawl net loot list. You can dispose of items by using lureplants or krampus. You can also put them in the holding area of the cargo boat, then hammer the cargo boat (but this is a bug, and I believe is going to be fixed in the next update).

excessive amount of obsidian you acquire in attempt to get a dragoon heart for a single obsidian tool

You can still fill the world with obsidian fire pits. This is a generic problem with rare drops. I'd not mind if this particular version is resolved by allowing obsidian to be used to "repair" obsidian tools (and maybe reduce their max uses to compensate?).

(I am still not used to being a part of the people who survive to late game haha, so sorry if I don't mention something that happens when you go from day 1000 and something, onwards)

Stone Backpack <3 

I have a bunch of razors, compasses, spoiled fish, etc. lying around. 

The issue is though, that trawling will pick up the sunken things if you're in their area, so a stone backpack is really the only way even things who can sink, wont be picked back up again. (That, and lureplants, because they're always the best when it comes to getting rid of items)

More uses for obsidian would also be fantastic. I still do want some expensive-ish Obsidian tiles who cannot be flooded no matter what, but you cant cover the entire base with them, because of some greater risk(they simply cannot be put next to each other, take a lot of resources, overheat you, can ignite stuff, or any other reason, really).

I don't feel like the obsidian tools are a luxury right now, but then again somehow RNG in Don't Starve likes me(Save for Krampus Sack, but hey, I only found 2 krampi so far in this run, so...). I do really like them though. the rework made them so good. I can't believe I ended up replacing even my cutlass supreme with the obsidian spear thanks to the re-work.

As STL said, obsidian being used to repair obsidian tools would be so cool, and even add to their uniqueness.

I really hope we get more things that require gears as well, like many people suggested, using gears to refuel the iron wind for example. Because late game you drown in them(Even before if you kill enough stuff in sea), and they have no use. 2 uses in the vanilla game, 3 more in RoG, and 3 in SW, and each of these requires so few gears that the abundancy of gears ends up as something you try to get rid of. 

Archived