Are two dedicated server still required for caves?

Hi,

Does anybody here know if two dedicated servers are still needed to run caves? I'm talking about renting a dedicated server. Would I need to have 2 dedicated servers and then connect them? Or has the game been updated to where you only need 1 now? Thanks!

Hey @Luis95R @SKOLLIE, I don't have any personal experience with Rental Dedicated Servers so I can't help you with configuring two unique servers to work together but I do still believe that the current way dedicated servers work still requires two separate dedicated servers. Based on the dev's Dedicated Server Quick Setup Guide in step 11 the StartDSTServers.bat has two separate lines that start the dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer program in c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin. Here's the Linux Guide if you're interested.

I only personally run my dedicated server through my own machine locally. So I don't think I can help any more than this. Sorry, The only next best thing I can suggest is to look around in the Server Bulletin and see if anyone else is running their server with caves on the same rental service you are already eyeing and ask them for help with it.

I appreciate everyone's answers, I will definitely look into it some more. It would suck though if I still need 2 rented dedicated servers if that's all I can get my hands on to run caves more smoothly instead of personally hosting it myself.

Just to make sure and avoid missunderstandings.

Definitions

(rented) dedicated server: Piece of hardware with memory, cpu, network card and so on

DST dedicated server: Software downloadable with steamcmd to run a service called 'DST server'

DST server: Process of a DST dedicated server with its own configuration files. Hosts a world. A world can be a type of a regurlar upper world or caves.

DST cluster: One or more DST server connected with eachother in that way, that player can migrate from one world to another through cave entrances and cave exits.

With steamcmd you can download DST dedicated server as many times as you want on a (rented) dedicated server. You can also copy this software or move around the filesystem.

If you want to host a DST cluster with upper and cave world, then you need two DST server. These server can use the same DST dedicated server-software, but with different configuration. The configuration tells, if a cave and a upper world is hosted. Means, you need just to download 1 time the DST dedicated server on 1 (rented) dedicated server and start this software 2 times. One time with cave configuration, another time with upper world configuration.

Check these links out:

and :-)

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Guides/Don%E2%80%99t_Starve_Together_Dedicated_Servers

Archived