I gotta ask about the 'wet = insane' thing

Just now, hotflungwok said:

Um, nope, 10 minutes is still 'minutes'. For some characters it doesn't even take that long.  And neither of those time ranges make sense, how do you go completely insane standing in a puddle in 1 day?  The san loss from being wet is a bad as standing next to some monsters. 

Um, nope you. Let me make this easy to understand ok?

Don't Starve is a videogame. Unlike real life, days in Don't Starve don't last 24 hours, they last 8 minutes. That's because every minute is the "equivalent" of 3 hours.

No, they don't go insane from standing in a puddle. I already said, you're grossly exaggerating the effects of wetness sanity drain. I went so far to boot my game and take screen shots just for you:

1- You sanity won't drain until it's over 55. You're not getting insane from "puddles".

Spoiler

TtzkDid.jpg

2- Here I am completely wet yet somehow i only lost like 13 points of sanity after around half a day.

Spoiler

5mTo6FF.jpg

Vs5A4if.jpg

If that somehow not enough, look again at the pictures and notice that the arrow is small. Tam is 6.7 and has a big arrow, so  there is no logical way Wetness alone drains more than that. In fact, i'm sure it drains much less than darkness (5 san per minute). The shortest drain from monsters is 40 per minute, not even comparable.

Yes, there is sanity loss but nobody is going "completely insane" for standing in a puddle like you think.  Don't Starve characters aren't scouts camping, they're just average people locked in a crazy world without any idea if they will live another day and now have to deal with all the inconveniences of surviving while completely wet. If anything they're handlingg it pretty well.

The sanity drain is only significant if you wear wet clothes, and that's a balance decision on else sanity clothes would counter the draining. Regardless of making sense or not, wetness was always one of the easiest things to overcome, with Umbrelas + hat giving full protection and rain/snake hats easy to do.

And you always just walk around with nothing but 1 flint, a bottle, and sword?  You go around in the two rainy seasons nekkid?  Wearing or wielding a wet item make a huge difference, and most of the time people have at least one of the two, if not both.  Go ahead and try your little experiment again wielding a wet weapon or tool and a backpack or armor, and see what the difference is.  In fact, you might want to try it the way I originally suggested it, standing in in a flooded area.  Watch how fast you get completely soaked just standing there, and then have a look at how fast your sanity drains.  Unless you're suggesting people just stand around and do nothing any time they could get wet then your data sample isn't realistic. 

6 hours ago, hotflungwok said:

Um, nope, 10 minutes is still 'minutes'. For some characters it doesn't even take that long.

So while you're playing DS, do you feel your body wasting away from malnutrition after half an hour or, in DS terms, Three and a half days?

Or do you keep several full course meals next to your chair, going through 2000 calories every eight minutes?

6 hours ago, hotflungwok said:

And neither of those time ranges make sense, how do you go completely insane standing in a puddle in 1 day?

Given that there puddles are deep enough to slow you down, flood your crockpot/refridgerator and support the spawning of poisonous insects, I think we can take it to mean they're actually pretty deep. Like at least knee height. I'd see that as pretty uncomfortable.

Archived