With Newest Update, Monkey Island = Best Island

Okay, first off let me establish that I as a player hate monkeys to no end. The vermin always end up taking something valuable even if I so much as put down an item for a second or lack chest space. My typical tactic for dealing with them was to run in, smack one of them to get them all angry, try to dodge all the poop, and then go about my merry way collecting resources, and by all means don't set up camp near the little devils.

That was all before the update.

It started during my newest save as Webber which I used to unlock Wilbur (got insanely lucky in finding the crown early one) where I reluctantly settled on an island absolutely infested by monkeys, but the island had one of every biome except for swamp, so I settled on the meadow section as far away as possible. After settling I found out the island is also infested with snake vines, and that every night the two races have one of the biggest civil wars I've seen in game, with the monkeys coming out on top, but usually not without casualties. Now the fun part began when I got my hands on a banana from chopping a tree, so I gave it to one of the monkeys so that I could command it to attack a tier 3 spider hut. The instant I gave out that banana, every single monkey in the surrounding area began emptying their inventory and throwing it at my location, so I quickly became buried in snake skins, monster meat, morsels, and other random things. Being Webber, I used the monster meat as a reliable source of food, but I still ended up with 2.5 full stacks of snakeskin. In any matter, with that newfound knowledge I believe that I may have stumbled across what is quite possibly my single best base thus far...even if I do have more snakeskin than I know what to do with. At the moment I'm trying to cover my base in snakeskin carpet for monsoon season. 

So basically if you have a spare banana and have a large group on monkeys that have collected a bunch of stuff, you can bribe them to get everything back and they'll stop harassing you so you can collect more things without them interrupting. 

1 minute ago, Kill3r86X said:

that works with all characters? I thought all the time that it was a wilbur only ability as he's the monkey king and the other monkeys are looking up to him and throw items at thair king.

yeah i had that happen with Wilson, i just had to give out 1 banana and i had 2 dozen monkeys throwing stuff at me.  Seems to me to diminish the Wilbur perk if other characters can get the same result with just a single banana.

5 minutes ago, jj42883 said:

yeah i had that happen with Wilson, i just had to give out 1 banana and i had 2 dozen monkeys throwing stuff at me.  Seems to me to diminish the Wilbur perk if other characters can get the same result with just a single banana.

You need a rare Spider hat to replicate Webber's ability but with Wilbur all you need is a single banana.

i'm not sure if this behavior was intention by them or not, but i think that only the monkey that gets the banana should throw its stuff at you.  that seems much more balanced.

How i think it should be:

• with wilbur all monkeys constantly picking up stuff and throwing it at you.
  • with others, give 1 banana to a monkey and that monkey throws max 3 things at you (picked randomly from the things in it's inventory)

7 hours ago, Misaki said:

You need a rare Spider hat to replicate Webber's ability but with Wilbur all you need is a single banana.

Let's not forget the sanity drain for every second you wear the hat, and the fact that the hat has durability so it wont last forever (not sure if you can sew it)

I noticed this when poring over the code changes in the update. From the code, it looks pretty intended to me, it's quite a clear statement:

local function IsPlayerFriendOfPrimeapes()
    return GetPlayer().components.leader:CountFollowers("primeape") > 0 or GetPlayer():HasTag("monkey")
end

(Wilbur being the character with the "monkey" tag, obviously)

Archived