Don't Starve Speedruns and Challenges

BluesyBuesy

Hello. I'm a big fan of pushing games to their absolute limits via speed and challenge runs. I first caught on to the idea of challenges in Don't Starve by watching komeny182; as a simple noob, I was fascinated by his old-school 'only winter' series. I've been doing challenges ever since, but now I'll record 'em and post them in here too!  

My channel: youtube.com/Joeshmocoolstuff

Edited by BluesyBuesy
  • Like 10

My first video is a doozy: Lights Out Adventure Mode as Wimpy Wes with 1 HP. 

Yeah, a single tick of damage will end this run. Lightning is a OHKO. Freezing damage is a killer. It also means no typical sanity restoration with cactus or cooked blue/green shrooms, and with permanent darkness sanity will be a huge problem. 

Usually with 1 HP you'll want to shy away from battle, but I don't use safe strats. There is LOTS of fighting in this, from nightmare creatures to clockworks.

This video is a whopping six hours, so strap yourself in for some miming goodness!

Edited by BluesyBuesy
  • Like 8

My second video is a solo speedrun kill of Don't Starve Together's Dragonfly. I managed a world record time of 12 minutes and 46 seconds (from the character select screen to her death). 

DST's Dragonfly has an insane 27,500 health and spawns firey minions. For reference, DST's Deerclops only has 4,000 health.

This is a no walls & no exploits speedrun. Just a fair fight between mighty Wolfgang and the Dragonfly queen. 

Enjoy!

Edited by BluesyBuesy
  • Like 6

So I was watching @Flare2V's latest vod (love his PvP streams), and apparently speed running in Don't Starve is different than normal speed running in that it should be composed mostly of blind luck rather than skill and execution or else it's not legit. I honestly don't understand the logic there, but a few other people commented about the map being too convenient in the seeded run, so hey, if the community prefers blind speed runs then I can play ball. 

I believe with this I've beaten @truMadness's seedless, glitched record by 3 minutes and 38 seconds. I don't expect my record to last long considering I managed to accomplish this on my second attempt. 

I did generate the map twice to prove that it is indeed unseeded. I figured there might be some doubt about that. Oh and the video is kind of messed up. I wasn't really paying attention to OBS. This was a spur of the moment sort of thing. I think it's because I was switching in and out of full screen, and OBS didn't update? Oh well. 

Enjoy!

Edited by BluesyBuesy
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, ImDaMisterL said:

You used Wes in your first challenge. And boy, what a challenge!

You have my attention, sir!

Thanks! I was afraid that the length of the adventure mode run would discourage people from watching, so I'm glad that you like it. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BluesyBuesy said:

So I was watching @Flare2V's latest vod (love his PvP streams), and apparently speed running in Don't Starve is different than normal speed running in that it should be composed mostly of blind luck rather than skill and execution or else it's not legit

Horribly misquoted. I said seeded runs in Don't Starve should have their own speedrun category as a seeded run is quite different from a randomly generated run. By no means is your run illegitimate; it's just in a seperate speedrun category.

Edited by Flare2V
  • Like 1

This is a challenge I came up with that I've wanted to try for a while. The only way to survive is to craft a meat effigy before you starve to death. No eating, healing, or other forms of resurrection. I did this in Don't Starve Together, but comically forgot that the meat effigy recipe was changed in DST to exclude cooked meat, so I wasted a bit of time getting ingredients that were completely unnecessary. I'm thinking that getting 4 meat should just be a rule though even in DST, because really what is a meat effigy without meat? :-)

• Like 4

For this challenge, I have 2 days to enter the ruins. Once inside, I can't resurface. It'll just be the ruins and what I gathered along the way. How long can I survive? That depends a lot on the supplies that I get in this episode. The single player ruins is completely devoid of the most basic materials -- grass, twigs, wood, pinecones -- that are necessary for sustainability, so I'll have to fill my inventory wisely.

• Like 2

I have to gather all of the 'things' and travel with the teleportato in default lights out without using torches. If you don't know, lights out is a game mode that forces eternal night/darkness. As you might suspect, light sources will be helpful in this challenge, so excluding torches is crippling, especially early on.

• Like 1