Account issues with Steam

KittyBabyMan

Hi there.

I used to play Don't Starve Together  on a cruddy, old laptop that suited my needs when I had no cash on hand. I -played with friends, had the fun time, blah blah blah.

Getting a new PC, I returned to some fun games that I owned on steam. DST being one of them. Logging into my account, hopping on to play again, I'm told to make an account.

I already made an account, so that's an issue. Checking my settings on the forums and all, the steam account and the Klei account are linked.

Pressing Link account and entering my DoB and Accepting ToS, I entered the email I've used with my Klei account, thinking that would fix things up.

It didn't.

It's denying me from entering the game and all, and I can't really look into making a new email, since the email i'm using is my one and only i've been using for years.

Recap:

• I have not changed accounts on Steam
  • I am running the game on a new PC, other than the one I started with
  • I have not changed my Email for this
  • The accounts are supposedly linked already
  • I registered my Klei account VIA popup that asks for an account

I will try to get video in about what exactly is occurring if it's needed.

Hey there @KittyBabyMan

I am going to poke @nome Just incase this has all the information he needs to investigate. 

I am sure there is just a mixup here somewhere, because you should be able to play from your steam account regardless of the machine that it's being played from. Just to note, at the present Klei Accounts and forum accounts are not linked, so it's still possible that if you have more than one Steam account, you may be using the wrong one (which is often times the case in situations like this). 

Because we will need information that you shouldn't post publicly on the forum, can I have you head over to support.kleientertainment.com and send us a ticket and provide the email address that you are attempting to use as well as the steam account ID that you are using?

4 hours ago, JoeW said:

Hey there @KittyBabyMan

I am going to poke @nome Just incase this has all the information he needs to investigate. 

I am sure there is just a mixup here somewhere, because you should be able to play from your steam account regardless of the machine that it's being played from. Just to note, at the present Klei Accounts and forum accounts are not linked, so it's still possible that if you have more than one Steam account, you may be using the wrong one (which is often times the case in situations like this). 

Because we will need information that you shouldn't post publicly on the forum, can I have you head over to support.kleientertainment.com and send us a ticket and provide the email address that you are attempting to use as well as the steam account ID that you are using?

Should be sending a ticket in a moment. It may be a possibility that I am on the wrong account, but I believe I am on the same account for the situation. I'll be sure to double check.

• Developer
4 hours ago, KittyBabyMan said:

Should be sending a ticket in a moment. It may be a possibility that I am on the wrong account, but I believe I am on the same account for the situation. I'll be sure to double check.

When the game starts up, we look up the steam account you're playing as. If it's recognized, off you go, otherwise you're prompted to give your email address and validate it. So getting this error definitely means you're using a different steam account than you were before. I've also confirmed that the steam account you gave (which does not yet have an email associated with it) is different to the one that has your email address associated with it.

There's a trick you can do with gmail addresses though. If you have bob@gmail.com, you also have bob+anything@gmail.com. So you've got an infinite number of email addresses, all of which go to the same account. As an added bonus if there's a matching label (for example if there's a label called anything and the email goes to bob+anything@gmail.com) the label will be automatically applied when the email comes in, no need to write a filter.

3 hours ago, nome said:
7 hours ago, KittyBabyMan said:

When the game starts up, we look up the steam account you're playing as. If it's recognized, off you go, otherwise you're prompted to give your email address and validate it. So getting this error definitely means you're using a different steam account than you were before. I've also confirmed that the steam account you gave (which does not yet have an email associated with it) is different to the one that has your email address associated with it.

There's a trick you can do with gmail addresses though. If you have bob@gmail.com, you also have bob+anything@gmail.com. So you've got an infinite number of email addresses, all of which go to the same account. As an added bonus if there's a matching label (for example if there's a label called anything and the email goes to bob+anything@gmail.com) the label will be automatically applied when the email comes in, no need to write a filter.

I'd add the + and make a label in my mail coordinating with that?

Like, example email is 'example@gmail.com' Make a label 'xyz' and do the email as xyz+example@gmail.com ?

3 hours ago, nome said:

Making the label is optional. You can just provide your email as bob+klei@gmail.com and be done with it. Making a matching label is optional, if you wanted to filter that email.

Argh..

So, it's actually verifying that it's sending the email to entered email, with the xyz+ added at the end of it. Not, i'm unsure i'm even getting the validation email sent. All attempts end up with no validation email or whatnot. 

EDIT: I'll wait this out, and check on it another time. Too sleepy. Yawn.

I checked our logs, and I see your attempts, but you must use the +whatever@gmail.com after your normal email address it must be yournormaladdress+anything@gmail.com

Gmail ignores the + and anything after it, so if you put it at the beginning of the address, it won't work. 

Archived