[Multiplayer Balance] Spiders, Spider Dens, & Spider Queens

For multiplayer, spider dens get out of control in long lasting servers. They spread everywhere and try to take over the entire server, which makes it difficult for new players. So I suggest spiders to behave differently which will make it more fun and challenging for players who actually play the game rather than players who recently started playing a server. Also, this new suggestion will have spiders always appear near you, rather than you having to go out and look for spiders which are very demanding but annoying when going out of hand.

Spider Dens

• Will no longer be randomly generated with the world.
  • Overtime a spider den will eventually spawn near but not on top of player created items.
  • Will no longer drop eggs at tier 3.

Spiders

• No longer attack walls or any other structures unless provoked.
  • During the night, they will wander around to pick up items left on the ground and bring it back to their sticky web where they will drop it. Spiders can only pick up one item at a time and when killed, they will drop whatever they're holding. Before they return to their den, they will drop whatever is in their inventory.

Spider Queens

• Will also no longer attack walls and structures unless provoked.
  • Spider Queens will only spawn if the egg is at tier 3 and part of the nearby base isn't within sticky webbing.
  • Will have a new ability, called webbing. She will web structures, saplings, trees, and everything else around her except items and players. This will prevent players from using these structures and plants unless you unweb them first with the action key.
  • Overtime the spider queen will spawn another den around player created structures. If none are found or if the base in impossible to get to because of a wall, the spider queen will eventually disappear.

How will this improve the game?

• You can finally be looted, making chests more important to use.
  • A camp that isn't looked after, will be taken over.
  • Abandons player camps will be taken over by spiders, no longer making it become free loot.
  • Walls will have a much bigger purpose.
  • Spiders will not get out of control for long running multiplayer servers. They will spread based on the amount of camps within a server.

• Developer
During the night, they will wander around to pick up items left on the ground and bring it back to their sticky web where they will drop it. Spiders can only pick up one item at a time and when killed, they will drop whatever they're holding. Before they return to their den, they will drop whatever is in their inventory.

Spiders, the new monkeys.

Will no longer drop eggs at tier 3.

I like the idea of dropping spider eggs, since it gives a chance to reproduce them like the pigs or the bunnies oder time.

they will wander around to pick up items left on the ground

This is unfortunate for Webber :-( - except he can access the den like a chest

Will no longer be randomly generated with the world.

Spiders with their silk can be important for some player aiming to get silk for top hat and so on. Silk is not a late or high level item

Overtime a spider den will eventually spawn near but not on top of player created items.

How about with naughtiness? The limit of naughtiness can be reached much easier then now and instead of krampus other bad mobs can be spawned like the spider queen. Background is the ying-yang balance. The more you killing good things, the evil will spread easier.

Spider Queens will only spawn if the egg is at tier 3 and part of the nearby base isn't within sticky webbing.
Overtime the spider queen will spawn another den around player created structures. If none are found or if the base in impossible to get to because of a wall, the spider queen will eventually disappear.

Spider Queens and maybe other evil mobs can create a spreading creep, which turns everything more to evil (evil flowers, living trees, permanently rabbits, bunnies, pigs, ....). This evil must be fight of by brave heroes. As side effect in fighting evil, the world gets also more and more good mobs, being able to help you (for example spawning pig houses, beefalos, ... around)

Abandons player camps will be taken over by spiders, no longer making it become free loot.

Thats nice with the combination of 'evil creep' explained before. The player can side the evil or the good and can create their buildings with its specific karma. When the evil reaches the good karma buildings, it gets disabled. Maybe something otherwise can also be thought of.

I like the idea of dropping spider eggs, since it gives a chance to reproduce them like the pigs or the bunnies oder time.

Spiders dens will continue to spawn around your base without you requiring to plant them. Therefore they will reproduce overtime without the need of planting.

This is unfortunate for Webber :( - except he can access the den like a chest

Can he? I didn't know that. Yet, I don't get why spiders would want to store items inside their den/eggs.

Spiders with their silk can be important for some player aiming to get silk for top hat and so on. Silk is not a late or high level item

When I said overtime I didn't mean an entire season or longer, I meant like after a few days a den will spawn. In fact it'll be easier to farm silk this way than actually looking for it since spider dens can sometimes be very hard to find on a new server.

How about with naughtiness? The limit of naughtiness can be reached much easier then now and instead of krampus other bad mobs can be spawned like the spider queen. Background is the ying-yang balance. The more you killing good things, the evil will spread easier.

That could be another way of fixing it, however I really think this game needs mobs that threaten your base and items without destroying them.

Spider Queens and maybe other evil mobs can create a spreading creep, which turns everything more to evil (evil flowers, living trees, permanently rabbits, bunnies, pigs, ....). This evil must be fight of by brave heroes. As side effect in fighting evil, the world gets also more and more good mobs, being able to help you (for example spawning pig houses, beefalos, ... around)

Thats nice with the combination of 'evil creep' explained before. The player can side the evil or the good and can create their buildings with its specific karma. When the evil reaches the good karma buildings, it gets disabled. Maybe something otherwise can also be thought of.

That seems like more a RPG type of game. I'm more into this game for it's survival and crafting, not to have an ongoing battle with evil forces. I'm already annoyed with the on-going battle of spider dens on long running servers, it's just not fun for me or new players who just joined the server.

Spiders dens will continue to spawn around your base without you requiring to plant them
When I said overtime I didn't mean an entire season or longer, I meant like after a few days a den will spawn. In fact it'll be easier to farm silk this way than actually looking for it since spider dens can sometimes be very hard to find on a new server.

But why do they spawn around you? Because it is else boring? To farm easier silk? If you ve a problem with exploring (like me) then better lets change the exploring and not to work around on some symptoms. Don't you think so, too? :-)

Can he? I didn't know that. Yet, I don't get why spiders would want to store items inside their den/eggs.

I meant, that it can be implemented that webber can use dens as chests, because else you make the life for webbers more restrictive and difficult. Not every webber want his things be picked up by his slaves and moved around. And these slaves are his only friends.

That could be another way of fixing it, however I really think this game needs mobs that threaten your base and items without destroying them.

Yeah, I understand, but don't know how I or others will react when the spiders transport gems, magic stuff and gold away (and I/they never find again)

I'm already annoyed with the on-going battle of spider dens on long running servers, it's just not fun for me or new players who just joined the server.

I was also tired of that and joining now only newly genereated server. It has just no effect fighting these regenerating, endless hords of black eight-leg clones. A more dynamic effects, different mobs and strategies would be nice. And help would be nice for example from other (good) mobs to achieve a real change on the world.

Archived