Palm trees and treeguards (mostly trees)

Hello everyone!

Is it just me or do fully-grown palm trees give 3 logs (including stump), 1 coconut and 1 palm leaf? That's too low! How am i supposed to get enough palm leaves (day 100+) whenever i chop one, 3 others become treeguards. Those dumb treeguards! They are so easy to kill but to annoying when i just need palm leaves (and they don't drop any).

Let's get to logs.

I am well-accustomed with getting 4 logs per tree. It makes my stacks neat when all are divisble by 4. When i get 3, its annoying because a) I like neat stuff only in this game, and b) When i need boards, i need to chop 2 trees to get one. It's more of a nuisance considering the amount of treeguards that spawn. I'll never make a beach base.

Now the Coconuts.

With all other trees (except spike and lumpy) you get 2 seeds. With palms, 90% of the time i only get one. This means that i can never use one in any crafting recipes or for eating without thinning the no. of trees.

So, there's my rant. Not really a big deal, but it's the minor details :-)

OR

Maybe i cut them too early and they have another stage of growth.

Also, do the trees (both) take longer to mature? It feels that way.

I am positive that a tree gives you only 3 logs(if you use axe only.) Each 5% durability of an axe gives you 1 log in normal DS for a total of 20 logs with 100% durability used.

Now, palm tree gives you at it's third stage only 2 logs and 1 palm leaf + 1 or 2 coconuts but at its first and second it gives 1 or 2 logs respectively + 1 palm leaf. As for tree guardians they are very rare and what would you need palm leafs for at 100+ days anyways?

I never had a problem with lack of coconuts, I think there is slight visual difference between 1 or 2 coconuts but I never really paid attention.

I never had palm leaf or coconut shortage so I have no idea what you have to do to fix your problem.

Beaches are everywhere so just cut till you have enough.

They have a 33% chance to drop an additional coconut. So it's not too bad, you can definitely grow your patch or use some for crafting, although there's not much worth using them for. Also, treeguards always drop 2 coconuts, so that also increases your count.

Palm trees have exactly the same growth time as the normal trees (1.5-2, 5-7, 5-7), although jungle trees do take longer (4.5-5, 8-13, 8-13).

I am positive that a tree gives you only 3 logs(if you use axe only.) Each 5% durability of an axe gives you 1 log in normal DS for a total of 20 logs with 100% durability used.

Now, palm tree gives you at it's third stage only 2 logs and 1 palm leaf + 1 or 2 coconuts but at its first and second it gives 1 or 2 logs respectively + 1 palm leaf. As for tree guardians they are very rare and what would you need palm leafs for at 100+ days anyways?

I never had a problem with lack of coconuts, I think there is slight visual difference between 1 or 2 coconuts but I never really paid attention.

I never had palm leaf or coconut shortage so I have no idea what you have to do to fix your problem.

Beaches are everywhere so just cut till you have enough.

I was including the stump in the 4 log part.

Tree guardians are rare? I am so unlucky, i got 3 of them in diff. sizes by just cutting one tree! It took me two days to finish all three. And abigail got killed both days. 100 sanity gone.

Coconuts, i don't actually really use them, but they are used in some recipies and i want to get them. But when i cut a tree, it hurts a bit knowing it can't be replaced.

Palm leaves i need because i need to increase the wildbore population on my island. And sandcastles.

I know my reasons are stupid. It just irks me though.

They have a 33% chance to drop an additional coconut. So it's not too bad, you can definitely grow your patch or use some for crafting, although there's not much worth using them for. Also, treeguards always drop 2 coconuts, so that also increases your count.

Palm trees have exactly the same growth time as the normal trees (1.5-2, 5-7, 5-7), although jungle trees do take longer (4.5-5, 8-13, 8-13).

Just saying, i tried to multiquote, it didn't work.

33%! I have got like two coconuts 3 times in my playthrough. The treeguards..well i always get more than one, so i pacify one, kill the other. Abigail dies. It's night. Morning comes and i kill the other. That's two days for only 4 coconuts and no leaves.

THATS why i am feeling the trees take too long to grow. I never really bulk cut palm trees, so i won't know but thanks for the info!

Palm trees are only really useful for palm leaves and coconuts, both of which are used in crafting. Otherwise, I'd opt for jungle trees because they drop 3 logs when fully grown (with an extra 1 for digging the stump), drop a bunch of useful stuff fairly frequently - like bananas and eggs - and have no treeguard equivalent, although they do drop hostile snakes sometimes.

The palm treeguards are very annoying. You can get a ton of coconuts from them (their ranged attack seems to drop the coconut sometimes) as well as living logs, but they're otherwise a nuisance as they are usually quite hard to kill because they do so much damage, both with their ranged attack and with their melee attack. They do have a larger delay between attacks however and have less health than pine treeguards, but they often spawn in groups of 3-4 which makes kiting them VERY difficult as their slow speed means that they tend to stay in close proximity to eachother.

But the palm treeguards are incredibly useless though, they have very little health and you can literally just stand still because their coconuts barely even fly in your general direction.

Then you can just build a campfire and lure them over it and they will stand in it until they burn to death killing them easily.

Oh also, if you didn't know. Some of the coconuts they throw turn into pickable coconuts... (but it is quite rare) allowing you to farm as many as you want since you can stand outside of their sanity aura, so there you go with your coconut problem.

As far as I've seen (and I've seen a lot of them), palm tree guardians always spawn in threes but they're at the same rate of appearance as normal guardians. I think it's just a percentage per tree in the immediate area so if there's a lot of trees near by then there's a higher overall chance you'll get a guardian.

As for palm leaves, I've never really needed many? I use a few for a thatch pack, a few for a thatch sail and sometimes for sand castles and (I think?) boar houses. If you're worried about having any around after 100 days I'd say you're playing it wrong haha. That would mean you've explored every island and cut every tree and used every leaf which is pretty unlikely. Even if you lived long enough to complete that task, it would mean you'd have all the items to go to the adventure mode and voila problem solved (plenty of trees and death through the portals).

Archived