Sickness, injuries & overall health

There have been some posts covering these ideas, but they are now old.

I like the idea of an overall health system. I don't want it to be too realistic because it can end up being annoying but additional compilations beyond damage is interesting. In addition to taking damage and curing it:

• Limits on healing per day - I can only eat so much honey or whatever in a sitting
  • Damage that causes injuries - broken bones, severe wounds
  • Sicknesses - various
  • Loss of vision or hearing - temporary or partial
  • Depression - pets, familiars
  • Malnutrition - poor diet
  • Memory loss - maps and location awareness

Again, I wouldn't assume these would all be taken seriously. This is just food for thought. As others have mentioned, there can be crafted remedies for these. There are many ways these could be implemented be it through diet, battle or just chance...

4. Loss of vision or hearing - temporary or partial

Sounds interesting, would be a suitable effect for the game. The plan is not to starve, not beeing able to hear for a set time or having a blurry vision could generate a scary atmosphere. That would require a fitting occasion how this effect happens tho, and all I could imagine is suffering this effect from a battle. If this effect could be properly linked with the art of just trying to stay alive, rather than combat, it would be nice i think.

Sounds interesting, would be a suitable effect for the game. The plan is not to starve, not beeing able to hear for a set time or having a blurry vision could generate a scary atmosphere. That would require a fitting occasion how this effect happens tho, and all I could imagine is suffering this effect from a battle. If this effect could be properly linked with the art of just trying to stay alive, rather than combat, it would be nice i think.

Perhaps the sound of hounds when they attack would cause the partial loss to hearing. For vision I guess every so many hits would be to his face with a chance to degrade his sight?

Thats the thing, the attention is set on not to starve, to die from hunger or other natural causes. Fighting as I understand the game concept is a smaller side factor. I do like the effect, I could imagine it ingame to create a scary atmosphere, just as that moment you realise you forgott to chop wood and the night is starting any moment. It generates a bit of panic for the player. But sadly I see this effect only linked to fighting.

If my vision in-game went blurry i would quit playing.

I could see others agreeing with that if taken too far. However, I think you're probably taking the comment out of context. My guess is that the end result, once the game comes out of beta, there may be select-able difficult levels before you begin. At any rate, the idea is to add temporary difficulty. You'll have to run if it happens mid-battle. That sort of strategy-type thinking.

I think its a great idea, however. As noted above, the game is about survival. It really is a pointless game if all you want is an easy way to survive for the longest amount of days. I would rather the game being difficult through all sorts of circumstances. Temporary or partial blindness (non-permanent of course) would certainly fit right in with the theme. I posted this from the perspective of things that happen in general. These could happen from eating something bad (monster meat), a bite from a yellow spider, or taking too much damage (which already puts red on the screen).