[Gameplay] - Very low FPS in main menu.

Remulux

Bug Submission:

Category: Gameplay

Issue Title: Very low FPS in main menu.

Issue Description: Hello, I have very strange problem, when I enter game I have only 1-3 fps in menu, what's more during creating world or playing, FPS are normal arround 30-40.

This problem occurs only in game menu.

Sorry for my english.

Steps to Reproduce: I normally entered game.

I think this problem is caused by background.

I know that my PC is a little old, also 1 gb of ram is very low, but Don't Starve Together works normal while playing but not in menu.

Also I have Don't Starve with 2 dlc's and works normal for me, even in menu etc.

Sorry @Remulux for not getting replies, this would probably be addressed once the devs have all fully returned from their Holiday break. I'll make sure to ask them too on the next developer stream too. In the mean time, I don't know if there is even an option for static background menu. But I'd suggest you try and change the settings.ini located in Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether, and toggle the notebook_mode = true and use_small_textures = true. I don't know if it will help, but try that at least, then change it back once you're in game if the graphics are too blurry for you. I'll be tagging @Gottzar too, so they get notified of this post and see if it'll help them too.

Report back if it helps, if not I'm sorry. Cheers.

@Remulux, they stream every Thursday at 3:30PM PST in their twitch page found here. Have you tried minimizing the resolution and keeping the game windowed when you start it up? The settings.ini can be configured for that too. Try it. If it doesn't work , I'm sorry but you'd have to wait a little while longer. Cheers.

Hey guys @Remulux, @Gottzar, while the devs haven't created a static background option for players with low-end computers yet, I've made a possible workaround that would hopefully reduce the animations played in the background on the Play Menu, Main Menu and the Server Select Menu. I do not know if it'll work for you but give it a try at least.

Warning: This is a very poorly-made workaround that I've figured out without any actionable knowledge on the repercussions of these changes. It may or may not work.

First you must have notepad++ (source) so you can easily find and edit the lines by just looking up the number. Now go under Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together Beta\data\scripts\screens and follow the instructions below:

1. Open mainscreen.lua with notepad++ and change the following line numbered as: ***Do not include the double apostrophes***
62 -> "--   self.fg = self:AddChild(TEMPLATES.AnimatedPortalForeground())"

2. Open multiplayermainscreen.lua with notepad++ and change the following line numbered as: ***Do not include the double apostrophes***
63  -> "self.fg = self:AddChild(TEMPLATES.AnimatedPortalBackground())"
132 -> "--    self.fg.trees:Kill()"
156 -> "--[[   self.shadow1 = self.fg.character_root:AddChild(Image("images/frontscreen.xml", "char_shadow.tex"))"
242 -> "]]--"
281 -> "--[[   self.wilson:Show()"
286 -> "]]--"

3. Open serverlistingscreen.lua with notepad++ and change the following line numbered as: ***Do not include the double apostrophes***
76 -> "self.fg = self:AddChild(TEMPLATES.AnimatedPortalBackground())"

Take note that you should only replace the WHOLE line in the respective lua files with the text inside the double quotes(") shown above. Do NOT include the " when replacing lines.

Now open the game, the game's main menus and server select screens should now be loading less animations and hopefully making it bearable. If you happen to make mistakes and can't undo your changes, just verify the integrity of the game cache and you can start the haphazard workaround from the beginning again. If the game crashes, verify the game cache and try the workaround again.

I really do hope this works for you, report back if your screen looks something like the ones below in the spoiler. If it doesn't help, I'm sorry for wasting your time. The devs really are your last hope. Cheers.
post-474697-0-90397200-1451858544_thumb.
post-474697-0-23846300-1451858553_thumb.
post-474697-0-10360100-1451858564_thumb.

Guys @Gottzar, @deathy0u, the workaround I mentioned above was only meant to reduce the graphical lag caused by the animated backgrounds in the game menus. It isn't for reducing your pings to other servers.

Does the game really just show all 300/500 ping servers for you guys? Mind sending screenshots?

I think your issues lie with your router's configuration to your internet, I do not however have the necessary know-how to give you proper or even at the very least haphazard workarounds for it. If your internet connection is perfectly fine on other internet dependent games, then I think you should try the methods discussed in this Steam Forum Thread (Network and Performance Troubleshooting Guide). Aside from that, I'm totally clueless.

I'm sorry, cheers.

Well yep, that helped a lot, now i have arround 15 fps in main menu, 6-12 in server browser, and 4 in options (this fog makes fps drop).

Servers have normal pings for me:

t5lmxw.png

I hope dev's add an static background or do something with this problem.

Also very good job, and great thanks to you Zillvr

• Developer

Hi everyone,

Sorry there was no response over the holidays. 

My wife has the same issue with her computer, but we were ignoring it because the game runs fine in-game, and I haven't heard of anyone else was having this issue.

Could anyone having this issue please do a profile capture?

Steps:

- Start the game and find your favorite slow screen

- open the console, press: ~

- run the command: TheSim:Profile()

- wait 3 seconds or so

- there will be a file called profile.json located in Documents/Klei/DoNotStargeTogether

- post that file here so we can have a look.

Adding the log.txt file and a dxdiag results would be helpful too.

• Developer

Another thing that would be helpful to try, is if someone with the slow menus could go into their video card settings and change the v-sync setting to be disabled. I'm not sure if it would help (and personally I can't stand playing that way) but it would be nice to know if this can solve the issue or not.

NVidia steps:

open NVIDIA control panel, 3D Settings, Adjust image settings with preview, select: Use The Advanced 3d image settings. Then press the Take Me There text beside it. In the Global Settings tab, find Vertical Sync and change it to Off. Press Apply, then run the game and see if it helps. Feel free to play with the other settings too. 

Note: If you do this, I strongly recommend changing it back to the default: "Use 3d application settings" after the test.

ATI steps: Sorry, you will have to google it.

@ScottHansen, thank you for helping

I can't upload the profile.json here, if you say some site to upload i will do that. 

I don't know if the dxdiag result is this.

Sorry for my bad english.

@Zillvr, about the screenshots that you ask, here you are.

post-767586-0-30284000-1451936347_thumb.

log.txt

post-767586-0-49604300-1451936713_thumb.

post-767586-0-53750000-1451936714_thumb.

post-767586-0-20416200-1451936925_thumb.

post-767586-0-54927800-1451937087_thumb.

@deathy0u, I only asked for screenshots of your Server List cause you said all the servers ping to 300. Based on those photos, I'd say 100-300 is pretty much normal. Below 150 ping is actually playable. If you still want to get better ping to servers hosted by other players, there is probably no other way for that to happen unless the server you want to connect to is closer to you. If you looked into the Steam Forum Thread I mentioned above (Network and Performance Troubleshooting Guide) you'll see that your Geographical Distance From Hosts plays a role with the ping connection.

With regards to the .json file, try if you can enclose/archive it into a .zip or .rar and then try attach it again. Cheers.

• Developer

@Remulux I had a look at the dxdiag report and your video card is below the official min spec we have listed on steam (it has half the required deticated ram). The menus have a number of large textures and lot of text which is probably causing a lot of grief on your video card. 

@deathy0u Could you click on the "Salvar Info...." but and post the log file? It has some info that isn't displayed on the screen. I would suspect though that your video card is also below min spec and that @Zillvr's lua changes may help you as well.

I'll chat with some of the guys in the office about creating some sort of "netbook mode #2" option in the settings menu that incorporates some of Zillvr's work. I cannot promise a delivery date though.

PS. Thanks again Zillvr!

• Developer

@deathy0u: Yep, the video card slightly below min spec. Dedicated Memory: 248 MB is concerning.

We are going to look into a fix/improvement since the game seems to run well enough once you past the menus.

@deathy0u, @Remulux, and @Gottzar

Does the frame drop when you are experiencing full screen effects such as insanity, hunger, heat or freezing?

ScottHansen - In game effects don't destroying my FPS (fullscreen and windowed mode). During the game I always have arround 30 fps, even when is rain, winter, many monsters etc.

As I mentioned before, I have Don't Starve with 2 dlc's and they work normal for me.

Zillvr method gived me FPS boost (from 3 fps to 15 :grin:), but it's still too low to comfortable playing.

Archived