[Client Crash] - Not enough memory

Jezza453

Bug Submission:

Category: Client Crash

Issue Title: Not enough memory

Issue Description: While I was playing Don't Starve Together, the game suddenly told me I didn't have enough memory and it crashed.

Steps to Reproduce: Open Don't Starve Together, join the server hosted by my friend. (he's has no mods and only installed it today)

I attached the log and dxdiag but I can't see them on the post? uh, can viewers not see the attachments and such? Or did they simply not upload? Were the files attached and I'm just being ignored? >.> Could I get reassurance that my issue is being looked into or something?...

Hello @Jezza453, welcome to the forums. Sadly, the devs are currently on a holiday break and will be back on Jan 4th. (source)

On the matter at hand, I'd like to ask a few questions:

• Did you have mods on when you joined your friend's server?
  • About attaching log files, you click More Reply Options at the bottom of this page and you'll be able to see Attach Files under the edit box. Choose your File, then click Attach This File. Then Add Reply. The attach file feature seems to be glitchy in the Bug Tracker Form.
  • Have you tried verifying the integrity your game cache yet? (source)
  • Does your PC rig/system exceed or at least meet the minimum requirements? (source)
  • Have you tried joining a random server but still getting the same error?

If verifying the game cache doesn't fix it, I'd recommend a full reinstall of the game. If that also doesn't work, I'm sorry but you'll have to wait until the devs come back on Jan 4. Hopefully one of the devs would drop by before then, so check in here daily just in case they do. Cheers.

Ahh, I spotted someone else get a response over the holiday season so I figured that there is at least one person going over things.... I have tried to verify, my pc smashes the min reqs easy, and there were no mods active, I even hosted myself after a fresh download, I haven't tried a random server, but I doubt that will solve anything as each time it has occurred when reaching about 3 days into a game (so it could be a bug going on at a certain point in time?).

(ahhh there's a little note saying add to post, I see, how silly)

Thanks for getting back to me anyway, I look forward to seeing a solution when possible :)

log.txt

DxDiag.txt

@Jezza453, were you doing anything specific every time the crash happens? From the log, all I can see is that you were trying to harvest something, then the game breaks when it tries to update your inventory repeatedly. It really does seem (to me, and I'm no techy) like the game is missing key files. You should really try reinstalling the game, no harm in trying while you wait. 

When you mentioned that it happens when reaching about 3 days into the game, that reminded me of a bug relating to snapshots that players encountered before. But from the log, it didn't seem to be like that's the cause. Just to confirm that it is not the cause, try and manually edit the settings.ini with notepad. The settings.ini should be found under Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether. Look for enable_snapshots = true and set it to false. I could be entirely wrong though, so don't get your hopes up. 

Try the snapshot thing first and if that doesn't work, try a reinstall. Sometime verifying the game cache doesn't suffice. That's all the help I can give you. Sorry for wasting your time if it doesn't help, cheers.

No, the log is different (I did the reinstall) I'm no longer getting the 'not enough memory' issue, but it seems to crash when rabbits are involved, I'm not sure about morsels though.

I get this from the log

[00:31:22]: Looking for default texture '' from atlas 'FROMNUM'.
[00:31:22]: images/inventoryimages.xml
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
        scripts/widgets/image.lua(32,1) in function 'SetTexture'
        scripts/widgets/itemtile.lua(58,1) in function 'fn'
        scripts/entityscript.lua(962,1) in function 'PushEvent'
        scripts/components/inventoryitem.lua(266,1) in function 'ChangeImageName'
        scripts/prefabs/rabbit.lua(65,1) in function 'MakeInventoryRabbit'
        scripts/prefabs/rabbit.lua(317,1) in function 'UpdateInventoryState'
        scripts/prefabs/rabbit.lua(323,1) in function 'fn'
        scripts/entityscript.lua(962,1) in function 'PushEvent'
        scripts/components/container.lua(313,1) in function 'Open'
        scripts/actions.lua(281,1) in function 'fn'
        scripts/bufferedaction.lua(24,1) in function 'Do'
        scripts/entityscript.lua(1236,1) in function 'PerformBufferedAction'
        scripts/stategraphs/SGwilson.lua(2702,1) in function 'fn'
        scripts/stategraph.lua(566,1) in function 'UpdateState'
        scripts/stategraph.lua(605,1) in function 'Update'
        scripts/stategraph.lua(123,1) in function 'Update'
        scripts/update.lua(209,1)
[00:31:35]: Force aborting...

@Zillvr ok, well I just had this error log :

[00:00:36]: images/inventoryimages.xml

LUA ERROR stack traceback:
        scripts/widgets/image.lua(32,1) in function 'SetTexture'
        scripts/widgets/image.lua(13,1) in function '_ctor'
        scripts/class.lua(181,1) in function 'Image'
        scripts/widgets/itemtile.lua(45,1) in function '_ctor'
        scripts/class.lua(181,1) in function 'ItemTile'
        scripts/widgets/inventorybar.lua(194,1) in function 'Rebuild'
        scripts/widgets/inventorybar.lua(323,1) in function 'OnUpdate'
        scripts/frontend.lua(681,1) in function 'Update'
        scripts/update.lua(94,1) 
[00:00:38]: Friends are currently playing in 0 games(s)!
[00:00:38]: You belong to 166 clan(s)!
[00:00:38]: Downloaded server listings - full: 3696 filtered: 1821
[00:01:16]: Force aborting...

I deleted all related folders and restarted my pc, none of which worked

Then I tried a solution for another game (impossible creatures) in which I closed gigabyte overclock guru, and then (somewhat conveniently) I stopped having the issue, I'll turn it back on and see what happens...

• Developer

@Jezza453 So you were just holding onto that performance enhancer program for a friend, right? Anyway, if its not too much trouble, could you turn it back on, get DST to crash again, try to remember what you were doing at the time, and send the full log file? If not, not worries and enjoy playing DST.

@Zillvr The Holiday Hero - Thanks again!

@Jezza453 So you were just holding onto that performance enhancer program for a friend, right? Anyway, if its not too much trouble, could you turn it back on, get DST to crash again, try to remember what you were doing at the time, and send the full log file? If not, not worries and enjoy playing DST.

@Zillvr The Holiday Hero - Thanks again!

Hi Scott, not sure if you were looking for the log from the out of memory crash but I have been having that issue. The log is attached. When it happens I am only at about 2 GB of memory used by DST.

Hope it helps.

Prof

out_of_memory_crash.txt

@ProfFarnsworth, Jezza453 reinstalled DST and her issues went away. Could you try the same thing and let me know if that resolves the issue. Thanks.

Can do but a word of warning: this is not a very persistent issue. So rare in fact that I wouldn't have posted if not for this thread. It has shown up maybe 5 times in ~50 hours of gameplay.

I will post back either way, but it may be some time.

Thanks for the reply.

Prof

Archived