Why was Shipwrecked ever a DLC?

Shipwrecked should have been a Standalone prequel with some sort of lore to it. Not just released willy-nilly and cutting out any trace of the story. The art style is very very different to DS in some places, for example the mangrove trees, and the ocean. Everything looks more light-hearted and colourful. It should have been it's own game with it's own art style and more content and characters

For example, SW reuses many biomes with not much change. The Jungle is basically a forest with snakes. The marsh just replaces tentacles with mini fish, even reusing the bubbles. Should be worth £15 with the cast something like...

Wilton (Starter) (The living skull and crossbones.)

Walani

Watricia

Wastien

Wallace (With changes, he could be whitebeard, or anything.)

Woodlegs

???

???

-Possibly some kind of adventure mode character-

Most of SW is reskins too which does NOT fit as a DLC.

It should have been a prequel lore wise, and a STANDALONE expansion. Maybe it's set before they come to the Don't Starve world? Maybe it's where Wilson builds the door to the DS world, or the portal to the DST world.

Also, since RoG content is in SW but locked away, why is SW content not in RoG, so if you have SW installed I could use, say, Walani, in an RoG world. (They would make no sense in Vanilla. There's no wetness, and all of Walani's perks would basically be rendered useless)

Please at least make Shipwrecked: Together standalone, with new characters, and team "Pirate Ships" with a crow nest, quarters that functions as some kind of storage, etc. It would be a lot more fun, and maybe DST could get away with the excuse they wanted to return to the Tropical World. Maybe they were all on Vacation in the tropics where the circus was? Maybe the radio factory was here? Though, for sure, DST Shipwrecked needs more content, and should be standalone, cutting out a LOT of Vanilla and RoG content to make it feel new. No Science Machine, now a See-ance (ba dum tiss) machine made with Dubloons and Seaweed? 

This is not a Klei style DLC, this is a Capy style expansion, which was wrongly released as a DLC thanks to the backlash. For god's sake please take the Shipwrecked: Together suggestions into account. Even if it doesn't contain Vanilla characters, it would finally have an excuse too. (Plus by lore Walani and her buds would have made it to Vanilla DST, but the new Together Shipwrecked exclusive characters technically didn't. But maybe they could.) So basically, the 4 SW characters to DST Vanilla

All Vanilla, RoG and SW characters in Shipwrecked: Together standalone, along with 2-4 more and new ships and content with less reskins.

PS: The Palm Treeguard art is cringeworthy :)

Also, it's still in beta, possibly Alpha. You still have time to turn this around.

EDIT: To clarify, release Standalone, with £4 discount only for those who own SW DLC. The standalone should have more content and be priority. The DLC *could* be taken off sale, or simply updated to completion, but not to the standards of the Standalone, and almost, AGAINST the lore. Just, at least give a SW standalone multiplayer and more characters. It will take longer to do but damn it will be worth it. Also, any chance DST Anim banks will come to DS and DSSW anim banks will come to DST? Recently tried to use the Cave stairs anim bank in a DS mod, and it doesn't work.

For example, SW reuses many biomes with not much change. The Jungle is basically a forest with snakes. The marsh just replaces tentacles with mini fish, even reusing the bubbles. 

That Is exactly why they should not sell it for 15 bucks, with removed old world, caves, ruins and RoG. 

(more so, this is wy they should integrate it in main game completelly, not cave-like. But this is another story)

That Is exactly why they should not sell it for 15 bucks, with removed old world, caves, ruins and RoG. 

(more so, this is wy they should integrate it in main game completelly, not cave-like. But this is another story)

Um, actually, Shipwrecked uses the same engine so the mods for new caves can be used. And SW has it's own Volcano caves. People like you are why this came out as a DLC as an excuse to do less. 

@Codsworth They never said that. They said they are adding a way to go between worlds. Learn the difference.

It should either be in the main world or a Standalone. There's no inbetween. And the main world makes no sense. Though neither of you follow the lore...

I disagree completely, SW should have never been designed as a standalone in the first place.

Also I'm not really sure people want ANOTHER expansion to dish a full price for, making Together separate was silly enough.

SW should have been part of the main game, and I don't mean via some cave-like instance but as part of the same world.

All the issues of SW stem from it trying to be a standalone experience.

Um, actually, Shipwrecked uses the same engine so the mods for new caves can be used. And SW has it's own Volcano caves. People like you are why this came out as a DLC as an excuse to do less. 

@[omember=Codsworth] They never said that. They said they are adding a way to go between worlds. Learn the difference.

It should either be in the main world or a Standalone. There's no inbetween. And the main world makes no sense. Though neither of you follow the lore...

Well, umm, yes, I'm glad that they will have to do less work, and I will have more fun :\ (Not as much as complete integration, but still)

It is true. 

The game has pretty good lore, but I still value variety and amount of content over lore. By the why, why do you think Shipwrecked is a prequel?

"SW should have been part of the main game, and I don't mean via some cave-like instance but as part of the same world."

But it's not going to be.

And this is my point. Either this should happen, or it becomes Standalone. Together didn't need to be standalone, it probably could have been an update. Or given free, like the "free update" We were promised.

At a stretch, Together can run a Single Player by itself. It could be renamed to Don't Starve, and the original taken off sale. Given to all Don't Starve owners when it's taken off sale and the original Don't Starve renamed to something, like "Old" or "Legacy" or "Outdated." Pretty simple really, like how No Time to Explain Remastered did it. And Remastered also has multiplayer but the original doesn't... Plus DST is more HD... juuuuuuuust saying.

inb4 flamewar and excuses of how it's "not possible"

Well, umm, yes, I'm glad that they will have to do less work, and I will have more fun :\ (Not as much as complete integration, but still)

It is true. 

The game have pretty good lore, but I still value Gameplay over variety. By the why, why do you think Shipwrecked is a prequel?

Glad they'll do less work. First sign of a fanboy with no logic to it. Also, you admit it has good lore, but you want it ruined? I reckon it's a prequel, at least before DST because there's no dark theme to it, no twist in the tale, no Maxwell.

Glad they'll do less work. First sign of a fanboy with no logic to it. Also, you admit it has good lore, but you want it ruined? I reckon it's a prequel, at least before DST because there's no dark theme to it, no twist in the tale, no Maxwell.

True, I should want less fun and more work for developers. Your logic is flawless.

True, I should want less fun and more work for developers. Your logic is flawless

More work = More content = More fun. Just stop being a fanboy k?

Also, shoutout to Wilbur mod for Don't Starve Together! Would make an amazing Shipwrecked character and is better than the one we have already.

I'm pretty sure it's still under Charlie's rule, But outside rule of Maxwell. Same time period.

Only real prequel I could see is about that ancient civilization in ruins. They started it!

More work = More content = More fun. Just stop being a fanboy k?

Or we could just combine old content with new and already have more content!

Stop using "fanboy" arguments k? I'm not really happy with how it turned out myself.

Or we could just combine old content with new and already have more content!

Stop using "fanboy" arguments k? I'm not really happy with how it turned out myself.

Old content is not new. You're saying "Klei please don't make these things for no reason I want less content" and then saying it would be "less fun" with more content. Those are the words of a fanboy. Being perfectly content with a very early beta.

man it's a dlc why the heck it HAVE to be on the game? it's a freaking dlc, if it WAS an update then it's okay, but it's not. there is still LOTS of things to be added. And your arguments make no logic man, what the content of the dlc have to do with how much work they had to put on it? don't starve is an extremely simple game, with no amazing graphics, no amazing mechanics but it's still an amazing game, so just stop being a jerk man.

I don't care if it's new or old content, if it's fun than it's okay for me.

man it's a dlc why the heck it HAVE to be on the game? it's a freaking dlc, if it WAS an update then it's okay, but it's not. there is still LOTS of things to be added. And your arguments make no logic man, what the content of the dlc have to do with how much work they had to put on it? don't starve is an extremely simple game, with no amazing graphics, no amazing mechanics but it's still an amazing game, so just stop being a jerk man.

I don't care if it's new or old content, if it's fun than it's okay for me.

Fanboy Circlejerk Flame War intensifies.

It needs more new content. It was originally planned standalone, and changed to DLC because of like, 8 people on one forum, as an excuse to do less work on it and make it more empty.

Old content is not new. You're saying "Klei please don't make these things for no reason I want less content" and then saying it would be "less fun" with more content. Those are the words of a fanboy. Being perfectly content with a very early beta.

1. I'm not content with early beta.

2. Even if they did more content in separate game, I would want to combine both games. So yeah, in this case less content in DLC is more fun than more content in Standalone.

3. Old content is still nice and I want to have it with new content.

I kinda replied to your points backwards...

Also, you said we should have had entirely new set of characters in SW? Great, I won't even be able to experience new content with old characters! So fun!

Fanboy Circlejerk Flame War intensifies.

It needs more new content. It was originally planned standalone, and changed to DLC because of like, 8 people on one forum, as an excuse to do less work on it and make it more empty.

Well, it's still 8 people against one.

I'm from Russian wiki, btw, lots of people there also hated SW being standalone.

Also, it's still in beta, possibly Alpha. You still have time to turn this around.

EDIT: To clarify, release Standalone, with £4 discount only for those who own SW DLC. The standalone should have more content and be priority. The DLC *could* be taken off sale, or simply updated to completion, but not to the standards of the Standalone, and almost, AGAINST the lore. Just, at least give a SW standalone multiplayer and more characters. It will take longer to do but damn it will be worth it. Also, any chance DST Anim banks will come to DS and DSSW anim banks will come to DST? Recently tried to use the Cave stairs anim bank in a DS mod, and it doesn't work.

Are you really suggesting to make a standalone version of SW where the dlc version would be like a lighter version with less content ? Why do you want owners of one of the versions to be penalized ?

There's no need to create a complete new version of SW just to justify more content, it makes no sense.

Klei won't be like "It would've been nice to implement this/that, but there's already too much content for a dlc, if only it was a standalone." The more content the better, dlc doesn't mean restriction. 

The only consequence of your suggestion would be to penalize dlc players.

For those who want SW as standalone because they don't want to mix SW and RoG world, you'll be able to start on SW world, so it's free to you to not go to RoG world, and just act as if it was a standalone.

Edit: Whatever, you sound like a moron calling people "fanboys" when they do not agree with you and who thinks making it a dlc gave the opportunity to Klei to put less effort and content in it, so don't bother to take my arguments into account.  

Are you really suggesting to make a standalone version of SW where the dlc version would be like a lighter version with less content ? Why do you want owners of one of the versions to be penalized ?

There's no need to create a complete new version of SW just to justify more content, it makes no sense.

Klei won't be like "It would've been nice to implement this/that, but there's already too much content for a dlc, if only it was a standalone." The more content the better, dlc shouldn't mean restriction. 

The only consequence of your suggestion would be to penalize dlc players.

For those who want SW as standalone because they don't want to mix SW and RoG world, you'll be able to start on SW world, so it's free to you to not go to RoG world, and just act as if it was a standalone.

Edit: Whatever, you sound like a moron calling people "fanboys" when they do not agree with you and who think making it a dlc gave the opportunity to Klei to put less effort and content in it, so don't bother to take my arguments into account.  

Tell me with a straight face that it's anything like ROG or Vanilla. it's not, it seems everyone from the Klei forum is cognitively impaired. Pathetic.

It doesn't fit the style. It's a seperate world. There's 100% reason for it to be standalone and 0% for DLC. Idiotic fanboys kek

Omg, they changed water and lighting a bit, 100% Standalone. 

I'm done with this "conversation", will see what other people have to reply. But I do not think people will want to talk to you after that.

Archived