Curiosity in item rarity

Hey all, as some items are much rarer than others for example the new Distinguished items and the Elegant items I have been curious as to whether or not anybody actually trade them for say multiple items of lower value. I personally have been really unlucky when it comes to finding my own items (only being common) and resorting to trading things such as tf2 keys just for something good. I personally don't even know if I would trade down for multiple items and would love to know how any others feel about the matter.
Thanks for reading  :happypigs:

Well, I've been offering 22 commons, 4 classies and 1 spiffy* for an elegant backpack for about a month without success, so I'd say no, probably not.  Maybe someone might trade an elegant backpack for 4+ spiffies, but you'd probably have to ask exhu about that.

*It's now 26 commons, 8 classies and a spiffy, if anyone's interested.  I'm only missing three commons but there's a dupe tan skirt in there.

Well, I've been offering 22 commons, 4 classies and 1 spiffy* for an elegant backpack for about a month without success, so I'd say no, probably not.  Maybe someone might trade an elegant backpack for 4+ spiffies, but you'd probably have to ask exhu about that.

*It's now 26 commons, 8 classies and a spiffy, if anyone's interested.  I'm only missing three commons but there's a dupe tan skirt in there.

I dont think anyone would be ok to trade even for that much stuff :-). Maybe 4 spiffy would be a better offer. But hey, good luck with that. This is why I offered a system to trade with game cuz everone got so many commons and not that much elegant item that, elegant item prices are increasing to a level that does not seem really possible to get an elegant item via trading. So under these circumstances, I would prefer waiting for 2 years than going for such a trade as if it is not 4+ spiffy i dont think they would accept that offer.

26 commons have no value. you pretty much offering 8 classy+spiffy. It is like offering 2-3 spiffy item.

People are more likely to consider offers of multiple more common items for a single rare item in the case of two conditions:

1. They have multiple rare items.
  2. They already possess most of the items they want to own.

Since the item drop system is new, these conditions will not be met for a while. In time, people will be more open to this type of deal, but the freshness of these items lends a certain attachment to their tiers, and most players will want to remain within an items' tiers for trading.

Archived