I am just not feeling it....

I don't know what it is, but I am just not having fun. I am not going to say that the game is terrible, because it is apparent from this community's activity and suggestions that this game has won people over and will continue to do so. On top of that, I am not the type of person to insult another's work of art.

So starting off on a pleasant note: I love the art style, the idea of it and the sound design, BUT the gameplay isn't hitting home for me. I have played for about an hour and I feel like I haven't made any progress at all. The speed in which time flows in the game seems to be a little excessive in my eyes and it is probably one of the factors that plays into my lack of entertainment. It kinda of creates the idea that I should sit in one area and gather all of the resources I can just so I can throw it all into the research machine and die just to do it again. It creates a feeling of stress when I am racing against the clock and it get rather old quick.

Maybe making time move slower will do the trick. I can't say for sure because it might be many other factors that I have yet to see. I am going to throw another couple of hours in just to see if it hooks me, if it doesn't I will just wait until the next update.

Welcome to the Forums :) First of all I can agree with you on the love for the art style. The first thing I would like to note however is

"It kinda of creates the idea that I should sit in one area and gather all of the resources I can just so I can throw it all into the research machine and die just to do it again."

That is exactly what they are fixing right now. Also they are working on a story like mode where you survive in a world until eventually you find a portal to another world. (Something similar to the idea) Every world is harder and lacks resources and gains enemies in order to create a more variant and challenging world.

The game is still in Beta and it's really important to remember that when playing a game like this. The devs have a lot of ideas that they will be implementing into the game to make it a whole lot better so just stick around and watch a game grow!

EDIT: Also they are completely redoing tech and removing research points altogether so look forward to that.

Head over to the General Discussion section and read both of the stickied Roadmap threads (preferably the older one first, then the newer one as it's basically an extension of the old one). Klei has a lot of goodies planed for the game, and if you're looking for a sense of progression in Don't Starve, then the upcoming story mode seems like it might be your cup o' tea.