So.....

You can't swim. Thought so. I was afraid something like this was gonna be left out, either by default due to it being "Game breaking" or because of the lack of animations and time. I'm REALLY REALLY hoping for the 2nd one and later

something like swimming is gonna be added down the road.

As of right now I'm repressing my Anger and saving it for something else. To some of you it's No big deal. For me it is. I've played Lots of games that have water of some sort and for some stupid reason the Main character(s) never learned to swim.

So if it is some kind of game breaking ordeal might I suggest something. Put in swimmig BUT make it too where it drains your hunger at a faster rate. Somewhat like in windwaker where link wasn't able to swim forever due to stamina loss. If that can't be help add an Item like Waterwings. Costing feathers,blubber,and whatever else.

Wilson can not swim because his amazing Haircut and his Magnificient Beard weight him too much.

Seriously I can understand that it is annoying to see some super hero/secret agent/whatever not able to swim but in the case of Don't Starve characters it could make sense since they were more or less dropped there against their will. It is not easy to learn to swim if you never done it before. Now with all the characters (and especially those that will come) I doubt none of them have learned. We will see.

If swimming were to be added it would have to be a lot worse than using a boat. Or only possible in shallow water (perhaps even only mangrove biomes). Otherwise why have boats? Swim everywhere and don't use up any resources.

Also, it should be painfully slow. Like slower than wearing marble armor and having both feet tied together while carrying a boulder. In mud. IMO.

Wilson can not swim because his amazing Haircut and his Magnificient Beard weight him too much.

Seriously I can understand that it is annoying to see some super hero/secret agent/whatever not able to swim but in the case of Don't Starve characters it could make sense since they were more or less dropped there against their will. It is not easy to learn to swim if you never done it before. Now with all the characters (and especially those that will come) I doubt none of them have learned. We will see.

Which is why I suggested Waterwings. Give a pair of those to character and let them swim. Might introduce some sort of character development. You start out using the waterwings, but than sometime after using them your character will say something like "I guess it's Better to be safe then Sorry" indicating that Character no longer needs them to swim.

Yeah, I get it, I didn't know how to swim well either when I was young and jumped into a pool, But I learned. All I'm saying Not every character needs to be helpless when in water.

@AnteSocial 

I think you missed the part where I said Make it consume Hunger AKA stamina at a faster rate. I'm not saying put swimming in to remove the use of boats.

I saw. I just didn't think it was enough of a penalty, personally.

For some characters it's not. But players like Wolfgang and Wes are gonna hurt alot because of their increase hunger loss. Like it was also suggested add in the 100% wetness and increase shark attraction. Plus all items in your inventory are wet. No consuming food or using Items of any kind. Personally I think some kind of short knife could be used or the Speargun maybe.

For some characters it's not. But players like Wolfgang and Wes are gonna hurt alot because of their increase hunger loss. Like it was also suggested add in the 100% wetness and increase shark attraction. Plus all items in your inventory are wet. No consuming food or using Items of any kind. Personally I think some kind of short knife could be used or the Speargun maybe.

True, it'd hurt Wolgang and Wes a lot. I figured the 100% wetness (yourself and inventory) would be a given. The addition of increased shark attraction and not being able to use anything except a small knife would go some way towards a fitting penalty. I still think it should be painfully slow though.

True, it'd hurt Wolgang and Wes a lot. I figured the 100% wetness (yourself and inventory) would be a given. The addition of increased shark attraction and not being able to use anything except a small knife would go some way towards a fitting penalty. I still think it should be painfully slow though.

No doubt. Swimming should indeed be slower then walking in this game. Which is why I suggested button mashing to go faster at the use of more Hunger. Should be also added if you run out of Hunger you drown unless you have a life jacket.

It'd be nice if how hard it was to swim was based on water depth or how far your character was from land.  On one map, I had two islands that were literally a hop away from each other.  But I had to use a raft or boat to get from one to the other.  It was really kind of silly that Wilson couldn't just wade over or something.

For water really close to shore, it would probably be enough to have a wetness penalty for each step or stroke you take, plus some sort of stamina.  For water further out, but still in the shallows, 100% wetness plus stamina/hunger drain.  With anything farther out, where there are waves, there should be a steeper penalty.  Maybe your inventory gets autodumped on top of everything else.

If what I read in another thread is true, than the life-jacket does save your character at the cost of your inventory.  Your character just wakes up on the nearest shore.  I haven't actually tested this out myself.

I doubt they will add swimming with the current Wetness system. Maybe one of the coming characters will be able to swim from the get-go, like some fish creature.

I do hope they will add underwater swimming though, kinda like the cave exploring. But I'm sure they will be busy fleshing out the outside world for awhile still.

I think swimming, preferably with like a crafted body item, like water wings or a innertube would be fine, ideally for use only in the shallow water. As for wetness, one would assume being wet would almost kind of turn upsidedown if you're swimming intentionally, gaining sanity for the refreshing dip rather than losing it for just being generically wet. The way I put it in another post was the idea was to save boat durability to deal with small water chores like harvesting mussels/seaweed close to shore so you don't have to have a raft on hand etc, or put unneeded wear and tear on your cargo boat.

As for the deep oceans they should honestly be a no swim zone, just like give the player a warning as they try to leave the shallow area before having just some generic tentacle thing drag them under. Potentially killing them, but the whole "washing ashore" thing, i feel needs to work more than just when you wear a life jacket, being right next to an island if your raft breaks is really lame, I can live with wrecking in the deepest parts of the ocean being 100% fatal, actually about 95% would be nice, just a slim chance you could be saved without a life jacket, suuuuuuuper slim, but still there, after all it seems like a rip off if the DLC all about Shipwrecks means a single Shipwreck is always 100% fatal, it's not like Starvation is 100% fatal.

Archived