Are Palm Treeguards supposed to be pacifiable?

I had three of them spawn at once (somewhere around day 40, which seems really early) when I was cutting down palm trees for firewood on an island that didn't have much other than beach and a beehive. I chopped down as many trees as I could for coconuts and got about ten, but they didn't really seem to respond to me planting the coconuts (they made growly noises once or twice, but not every time I planted a coconut), and getting closer to the treeguards just put me in range for a nasty swipe. One of them accidentally hit the beehive with a coconut it was throwing at me, and after it killed all the angry bees it turned neutral, but the other two have been holding a grudge against me for weeks.

So is this bad luck, the code for pacifying palmtreeguards not being implemented yet, or a bug?

Pretty sure they are pacifiable, not sure if its intended this way or not. But poisonous birch nut trees are the same, they just dissapear after a while. I suggest to just run away as they spawn.

Btw, day 40 for treeguards isn't early at all, I've seen them at day 15

Already encountered them at Day 15. 

Just an advice to deal with palm tree guards.

For now, just fight them. They are not that hard to deal with to be honest. Once they fire off a barrage of coconuts which should be easily to dodge, go in for the kill. Hit him around 3-4 times, then run. His swipe has a rather large range, so its best not to make him swipe, but make him fire his nuts.

Pretty sure they are pacifiable, not sure if its intended this way or not. But poisonous birch nut trees are the same, they just dissapear after a while. I suggest to just run away as they spawn.

Btw, day 40 for treeguards isn't early at all, I've seen them at day 15

What seemed early wasn't a treeguard spawning, it was three of them spawning at the same time before Day 50. I'm no stranger to them spawning in the early game; one of my first deaths ever was to a treeguard that spawned before the first hound attack even showed up. I checked the wiki, since it previously said that between Day 30 and Day 80 in the base game only two treeguards would spawn at once, but it's been corrected since then. Apparently I was just misinformed. (And in addition to the wiki having the wrong information, I was remembering it wrong; I thought it was Day 50 for two treeguards and Day 100 for three.)

I don't want to kill the treeguards, I want to use them as meat shields. (...metaphorically speaking.) Killing them with fire in particular is a very messy solution; if you just want them gone that'll do the trick, but you won't get any Living Logs and they can potentially torch other valuable resources by wandering around while they're burning.

I had four spawn around the same time as Cameo, and then when I went looking for coconuts to plant to pacify them, two MORE spawned! I lost their aggro by boating away while they took out their anger on bees, snakes, and pigs. One or two ended up in the jungle biome, killing snakes for me, and when I came back I accidentally discovered that planting jungle tree seeds seems to pacify them. Which is weird. They seemed to work a lot better than coconuts actually. Bug? Weird feature?

Treeguards should be able to be pacified.

It's a bug.

Coconuts can pacify monsters with the treeguard tag

local ents = TheSim:FindEntities(pt.x,pt.y,pt.z, TUNING.PALMTREEGUARD_PINECONE_CHILL_RADIUS, {"treeguard"})

bur surprise, the treeguard tags are

inst:AddTag("monster")    inst:AddTag("hostile")    inst:AddTag("leif")    inst:AddTag("tree")    inst:AddTag("largecreature")	inst:AddTag("epic")

so yeah, they forgot to change leif to treeguard.

But this aint treeguards, this is palmtree guards =) i seen them 3 times and they are always 3.  Adds more hardcore to the game, all this small things like poison and treeguards and much more, this game is much harder to survive then vanilla or RoG.

Like I said in another thread, Shipwrecked with its current balance reminds me more of Adventure Mode than anything else. It's not unplayable, but it is murderously difficult. It's definitely harder than default or RoG Sandbox Mode. It'd fit in fine as an Adventure Mode world right now; it's not quite as difficult as Darkness or King of Winter, but it's easily on par with A Cold Reception and probably harder than Archipelago. (Aside from just being really difficult, the other thing it has in common with Adventure Mode is that there's more of a focus on keeping up a pace with your exploration than in Sandbox Mode, since the map is split into loads of tiny atolls with necessary resources sprinkled throughout. Also like Adventure Mode, you'll still need to build a base at least early on, so you can prototype and craft stuff.)

I still would have been able to use the treeguards as meat shields by tricking the other two into throwing coconuts at the beehive. Or at a spider den or something if this happened again somewhere else, I suppose.

Treeguards should be able to be pacified.

It's a bug.

Coconuts can pacify monsters with the treeguard tag

local ents = TheSim:FindEntities(pt.x,pt.y,pt.z, TUNING.PALMTREEGUARD_PINECONE_CHILL_RADIUS, {"treeguard"})

bur surprise, the treeguard tags are

inst:AddTag("monster")    inst:AddTag("hostile")    inst:AddTag("leif")    inst:AddTag("tree")    inst:AddTag("largecreature")	inst:AddTag("epic")

so yeah, they forgot to change leif to treeguard.

Mystery solved! It explains why they still turn neutral after being attacked by another creature, because that would be a weird thing to include if they were meant to be impossible to directly placate.

I know how to kill a palmtreeguard easily WITHOUT swipe damage taken. Get the monster to throw it's coconuts. As it's picking the coconuts out of it's armpits(?!) run up and swipe it 2-4 (never tried 4 yet but seems safe) times then quickly run half a screen away. Wait for the coconut thing and repeat again again until dead. 

Note: So far I have only got to do it with one palmtreeguard at a time.

Archived