Volcanic Eruption: suggestion and constructive criticism

Hey :)

So i'm at day 70, and it seems the gimmick of the 4th season are the constant volcanic eruptions.

I'd like to suggest some changes and see if other people may agree.

So far, the fireballs falling from the sky are more of a nuisance than a challenge. You hear the warning, go to a far away place and run around in circles while your precious resources are destroyed around you, but avoiding getting hit is pretty easy.

I think this season would be more fun if we had to deal with volcanic ash in some way, depletes health or sanity, and you'd have to use the gass mask or something like that, and the volcanic eruption with the fireballs just happened once in the season in a bigger explosion or something like that.

I feel that the way it is, its just gonna permanently empty nice areas, since you have to be pretty distracted to actually get hit by them.

What do you think?

Has anyone come up with a viable solution to dealing with volcanic eruptions?  Does it reach the entire map?  Is there any way to protect your belongings/base?  Ice fling o matic?  only on day 23 atm any insight would be greatly appreciated.  

Has anyone come up with a viable solution to dealing with volcanic eruptions?  Does it reach the entire map?  Is there any way to protect your belongings/base?  Ice fling o matic?  only on day 23 atm any insight would be greatly appreciated.  

From what i've seen it reaches the entire map, and there isnt a way to protect your stuff. If something gets hit by the eruption it catches on fire/ is destroyed / is uprooted

Eruptions are not fun, it is the only season which forces us to avoid being in our camp for 2 weeks, and discovery is unadvised since everything might be destroyed, the only option is to stay in the sea.

In my opinion, the duration should be lowered to once every 2-3 days min. 4 times and max 7 times per season. To that I would like some craftable structures and protection items to deal with the eruption as we can with any other season.

I think of a stronger version of the rain shelter which could resist some impacts after what you'd need to rebuild or repair. Concerning clothing, an armor similar to the marble suit could be crafted to absorbe most of the damages but reduces greatly your movements

Hey :-)

So i'm at day 70, and it seems the gimmick of the 4th season are the constant volcanic eruptions.
I'd like to suggest some changes and see if other people may agree.

So far, the fireballs falling from the sky are more of a nuisance than a challenge. You hear the warning, go to a far away place and run around in circles while your precious resources are destroyed around you, but avoiding getting hit is pretty easy.

I think this season would be more fun if we had to deal with volcanic ash in some way, depletes health or sanity, and you'd have to use the gass mask or something like that, and the volcanic eruption with the fireballs just happened once in the season in a bigger explosion or something like that.

I feel that the way it is, its just gonna permanently empty nice areas, since you have to be pretty distracted to actually get hit by them.

What do you think?

I like your suggestions very much! The volcanic eruption season as it is now gets annoying real fast. And I thought the flooding was the worst time of year :D It would be a lot more impactful to have only 1 or 2 eruptions per year. And the ash cloud/gas mask idea is a nice one as well. I hope they implement your ideas!

What we need is a gunpowder flingomatic! Gears, rope, gunpowder, and some boards maybe to create it. Place it in your base, and as rocks come to fall from the sky on your base, the Gunpowder Flingomatic shoots them out of the sky causing it to break up into bits causing a similar effect cave ins have in vanilla/RoG.

There is a Volcanic staff inside one of the buried chests. I assume it casts a spell to stop eruption but so far I didn't have a chance to verify that as jumped into the second world before Summer at day ~50.

There is a Volcanic staff inside one of the buried chests. I assume it casts a spell to stop eruption but so far I didn't have a chance to verify that as jumped into the second world before Summer at day ~50.

The volcanic staff just summons about 6-8 falling volcanic rocks. It is a very powerful weapon if you need something killed and don't mind the loot being burnt.

Staying in the sea while volcano erupting is nice but if you dont have enough stuff to cool down the heat it might be a problem. So bringing some ice and food is a good decision, in my previous plays i was trying to rush the find of the clockwerks to make the icebox and use the heatstone to cooldown myself but that was very time consuming and ineffective. I think its easier to find lots of gold and make ice machine and other stuff to fight the heat, eruptions stop for short periods thats good time to visit ur base get the ice and food and run for the sea again, or stay on a neighbour island corner.

The eruptions can happen anywhere in the map, but they only happen where you are currently, so as long as you're not at your base during the eruption, it won't get destroyed.

eruption are global. If you want to save your stuff you have to bring the essencial to your boat and live on the sea until stops falling rocks. At the same time you have to handdle with the overheating problem.

I like your idea, makes more sense then a volcano that spit rocks at loooong distances. whatever you are...

Oh, so I wasn't the first person to think of this.  Cool.

Overheating, limited visibility, plants withering, a need to frequently dig structures out of the ash or else the crushing weight will damage them like a hammer, disable the 20 second timer on ash piles, maybe even a giant fan or wind machine to help clear ash away.  Just anything but this nonsense with the meteors.

Archived