Dont Starve shipwrecked "hounds"

the hounds are never on the island when you look around but then by some mystical magic they appear, it just doesnt resolve where the hounds come from. in dont starve and reign of giants you can at least see where the hounds are located in the desert so you know where they come from.

I personally think it would be cool if the hounds came out of the water like little krakens or some sort of water monster. then it would resolve where the hounds come from and not that they just spawn on whichever island they are on.

What do you guys think?

the hounds are never on the island when you look around but then by some mystical magic they appear, it just doesnt resolve where the hounds come from. in dont starve and reign of giants you can at least see where the hounds are located in the desert so you know where they come from.

I personally think it would be cool if the hounds came out of the water like little krakens or some sort of water monster. then it would resolve where the hounds come from and not that they just spawn on whichever island they are on.

What do you guys think?

Mm.

It does seem a bit nitpicky because we don't really need to care about where they come from, we just want them to screw off! :p

But if they did come from the water, maybe we could hear a splash and the sound of something coming out of the water, mixed with the regular growling. It'd be a nice little atsmopheric touch.

I've got two ideas: #1, they're still Hounds but they can swim. (The splashy noises in the distance would work for this, and then if you tried to flee from them in a boat they would follow you. At least until something distracted them, as per norm for Hounds.) #2, they're a sort of amphibious shark-dog thing like the Dogfish's mean older brother. The Hounds-or-equivalent should still be houndlike enough to drop Hound's Teeth if there aren't any Hound Mounds around, because you need those. And I wouldn't really expect Hound Mounds, since in Adventure Mode they spawn in barren areas and in Reign of Giants they spawn in the desert; this setting seems too wet for them.

Why not give Hounds some safety tubes, or inflatable armbands to make them sea-worthy? If Krampus obtained a floral shirt I don't see any reason not to "tropify" other vanilla monsters that did not get a reskin :) . They could have some coral, seaweed, seashells, sand etc stuck in their wet fur, and drop it when you kill them. A small bonus for killing them that isn't too overpowered in my opinion.

In the OG, doesn't Maxwell say something like "The hounds are loose"? I feel like I've heard that and whenever I play it makes me feel like the hounds are held somewhere and released every few days because I haven't died.

I also like the idea of different hounds, something a bit more shipwrecked like would be tight, if a good idea pops up.

lol@landsharks :p

Archived