Don't starve together won't start anymore..

Eyup,

Was happily playing on Gingerbread cookies 2 server last night, they had a few problems, it reset, we started a new game and they ran out a server bulletin saying something like "new update rolling out, server will reset, reset your game and it will update" etc..

Went to restart game and it just crashed steam. Reset computer, same thing.  If I opt out of caves beta game starts up fine, but when I opt into caves beta it crashes.  I might be dumb?  Annoying thing is when I try to start it, steam crashes, then thinks Don't starve is running.  In fact it thinks it's running and my computer has been off all day while at work :p 

It won't let me start even out of cavesbeta unless I restart computer.

Tried deleting and reinstalling game, and verifying local cache.  

Attached a SS of it running even though my computer has been off.  

Anyone else?

post-726076-0-04161400-1448575915_thumb.

Hello @CeeDeeBee, I'd suggest you post the resulting log.txt file found under Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether. That'll definitely help diagnose what's really happening with your game. On my end, I'm able to play on the cavesbeta branch without a hitch. So I can't give any off-hand suggestions with just your post as is. Cheers.

oh yeah I remember you CeeDeeBee. Some people could not join to server after auto update in the server. My steam did not update the game but when I restarted steam it updated. I can also join to beta branch without any problem. Hope you can solve the issue and join to our server again :>

Same thing has happened to me. Friends say steam says I launch the game but steam bootstrapper just crashes out. Have to do a complete system restart to do anything else with steam. No DS exe is listed in the task manager.

The log.txt file doesnt get updated either.

• Developer

Thanks for the update @Kizozen. I thought that might be the issue. I remember from the old counter-strike days that occasionally Steam would get into a bad state, and you'd need to delete your ClientRegistry.blob to get Steam to run properly again. I think that file isn't used anymore, but there's likely other ways for Steam to get into a broken state. Glad you got it sorted out!

Thanks guys.  

Just tried reinstalling Steam as Kizozen had suggested.  I did it initially, then reinstalled DST.  On selecting the caves beta in properties it tried to update it and then I was getting a 'disk read error'.  So I deleted DST again, reset my machine, and redownloaded.  

Just opted into caves beta again and now it works :p

Got there in the end...  

Archived