Understanding Shards and Migration Portals

5 hours ago, JazzyGames said:

I suppose the main reason for this was to simplify the managing of cave entrances on each shard, and cracking them all made it easier to check the total number of portals in a forest world without having to run console commands on two different prefabs. Plus I was also having linking issues with unopened portals that I am now unable to duplicate, so perhaps it was an unrelated problem. I'll probably edit that suggestion out.

There was a bug where one of the settings were not transferred when we changed from caves_entrace to caves_entrance_open. It was been fixed meanwhile.

23 hours ago, JazzyGames said:

Working on a video guide for this. Wanted to drop a couple of important notes here for would-be multi-shard world admins:

1) Keep only the portals that have matching ID's in the shards to which they are linking. For example, if I'm linking a third world then I'll only keep portals with ID's 5-10, and my second world will keep portals with ID 1-5. This might not be entirely necessary but makes troubleshooting infinitely simpler. (EDIT: some of the dev comments strongly suggest that this is necessary as portals will look for their matching ID when linking).
2) This has been mentioned but you MUST manually run the linking command on each portal in order to completely turn off automatic linking.
3) You need to modify your .bat file to start up additional shards.

I would like to suggest this commands to be added to the guide. They help diagnosing problems.

Didn't get a chance to add those commands by the time I made the video but I'll mess with them on my own and maybe add it to the pastebin. Anyways, here's the finished video guide! 

Edited by JazzyGames
  • Thanks 5

On 10/10/2021 at 11:42 AM, marioespinho said:

Sorry for necroing or posting in the incorrect part but, is it possible to set up a multi-shard world without a dedicated server? 

You can only have two shards on a client-hosted game. I've been told you can swap save files to access different shards but I've only been able to make that work on a dedi.

• Like 1