A question for the devs

Hi, everyone! Love the game, can't wait to play the Contingency Plan DLC! :)

So I have a question - could you explain why you decided to have PEIA-Olivia and PEIA-Derek be separate agents, rather than Archive versions of Central and Monst3r? Not to criticize prematurely, but it seems kind of weird and immersion-breaking if they turn up in Detention Center missions; it's already strange for Decker and Internationale to be on the jet in the intro but then also possibly prisoners if I start with a different squad...

But wouldn't you be able to have those combinations even if they were Archive versions? Unless they're specifically talking about Central/PEIA-Derek or Monst3r/PEIA-Olivia, but the game's been so good about keeping the storyworld consistent, I just don't get it.

Maybe later DLC will introduce some form of time travel into the story!

Maybe it will be more than merely added to the story.  Maybe you, the player, will be required to master the time traveling mechanic in order to play the sequel, in which you travel back to prevent Incognita from being installed on the OMNI mainframe while still defeating the corporations.

I'm picturing something like Achron, where you have to make sure units sent into the past will be there in the future, and if not, the computer does paradox resolution.

Hey, I can dream, can't I?  :)  Seriously, I wish I had enough money to hire Klei to make that game now.

• Developer

Derek and Olivia are essentially Monst3r and Central's Archive builds. But we decided to make them separate to allow more combos of agents as HumanKirby reported from the stream. It also meant more room for some flashy art ;)  Technically they are "what if" characters as are the original archive builds in though they may be more of a grey area.

But a time travel mechanic might be cool.. maybe when you use REWIND, some agent has an ability to not be effected by it? I'll have to think about a mod for that.

Derek and Olivia are essentially Monst3r and Central's Archive builds. But we decided to make them separate to allow more combos of agents as HumanKirby reported from the stream. It also meant more room for some flashy art ;)  Technically they are "what if" characters as are the original archive builds in though they may be more of a grey area.

But a time travel mechanic might be cool.. maybe when you use REWIND, some agent has an ability to not be effected by it? I'll have to think about a mod for that.

So, your are hinting that you might create some mods? Awesome.

I like the idea.  Just be sure to prevent abuses like having one agent in Beginner being able to scope out the whole level in one turn taken with five Rewinds; such an exploit would reduce Beginner's effectiveness at teaching the novice how to play the game.

This could be easily accomplished by having the Temporal Jumper augment (or whatever you decide to call it) have an appropriately long cooldown or high PWR requirements or both.  Perhaps an agent who comes with the Temporal Jumper augment natively also has a lot of movement points (I can imagine them kind of "slipping" through time faster than the rest of us simply as a matter of course), but can't ever carry a whole lot of objects (or certain kinds of objects, because they don't work right when they "jump" through time with her).  Or something.  Don't let me dictate anything here; I just love the discussion.

Archived