Game Mode Conundrum w/ Caves

I feel like the current game modes for persistent servers are a lose-lose-lose, and I'm trying to figure what the best options is.

- With survival, anytime someone dies and no one is on the server, it regenerates the world. So that's no good.

- With endless, there's no penalty for death, but not only that, no newcomers can really thrive if they join in the wrong season or join later in the game.

- Wilderness seems best, except when it comes to caves which will really screw you over.

My ideal situation out of the available gamemodes is Wilderness up top, survival below (since there'd almost always be a ruins boss to kill), but the game doesn't allow for the mismatching of gamemodes.

Does anyone have any suggestions/mods to improve this situation, or have I overlooked something that could make it a more enjoyable experience for people who don't start on server day 1?

• Developer

We're working on making the "features" of the game modes syncronized, so that e.g. in survival, the server will only reset if everyone is dead on every level. Likewise, respawning in wilderness needs some work. But in general, the goal is for it to feel like a single server when you're playing. There shouldn't be anything to remind you that it's actually two servers behind the scenes.

People currently use the one server regening as a way to world hop in DST. Will you add in a proper feature to world hop before making it so servers only reset when every level is dead?

I'm confused. Didn't what you quote answer your question?

• Developer

People currently use the one server regening as a way to world hop in DST. Will you add in a proper feature to world hop before making it so servers only reset when every level is dead?

We will not be adding such a feature in the immediate future. The fact that you could fake a world-hop using the multilevel stuff was an unexpected side effect... Right now we need to focus in making sure everything is consistent with the existing game (just with multiple levels), but we do have future plans of this nature!

Archived