Overworld & Caves in DST Combination Idea.

I got this idea a while ago and it makes a lot of sense to me, but take in mind that i have no idea of what this games limitations are and what cant be done in the game. Hopefully I'll get an answer from a developer and he could give me some insight on the topic.

This would save you the time of having to set up two servers to get both the Overworld and the Caves, which i have tried and failed miserably because of the advanced stuff i had to do to get everything installed and running. Here is a picture of my idea on how to get the caves quick and easily in to DST.  :joyous: (MS Paint)

post-713452-0-00484400-1444848091_thumb.

If this has been posted before or if this already has been discussed on the forums I'll delete it.
(Let me know)

Finstad.  :joyous:

Do you think i should delete this then? I don't see a reason to get banned for this, It's not just spam. I at least want a legitimate answer from someone that actually know if this is doable at all. I see not reason why it isn't. This has to be easier than to just rewrite the whole game to be able to have two worlds in one server.

Do you think i should delete this then? I don't see a reason to get banned for this, It's not just spam. I at least want a legitimate answer from someone that actually know if this is doable at all. I see not reason why it isn't. This has to be easier than to just rewrite the whole game to be able to have two worlds in one server.

Relax, He wasn't banned for this, he was banned for disobeying forum rules and being downright nasty to the staff. While in theory I suppose this would seem possible, this would require the world to have a totally different cycle in another half of this, plus, world sizes may break this a bit lot as they may touch one another as it needs 2 worlds to generate at once.

Yeah i see the problem, but the cycle part could probably be controlled like weather. They could possibly just change it so that it doesn't have to rain over the whole world at the same time for example. They could also just test this as two small worlds combined instead of one large, what i mean by that is when you generate the map u choose "Large / Huge"(Don't remember), Medium or Small. They can make the Caves and the Overworld in a large world but each continent would be the size of a small world. A two halves become one whole kinda thing.

I at least want a legitimate answer from someone that actually know if this is doable at all. I see not reason why it isn't. This has to be easier than to just rewrite the whole game to be able to have two worlds in one server.

With some of the new stuff that has been introduced for caves, it could be doable to adjust stuff and make light zones, and nightmare zones (the areaaware component), and weather zones. Of course, you would have to rewrite stuff again and would run into other technical problems.

Instead of cramping everything into one server, we got a network of servers. Instead of having a world of 20000 entities, you have two worlds of 10000 entities each. This is great for performance: on one computer you assign one core per server, and on many computers you can just link the servers between them. However the best part is that you can go beyond linking one overworld and one cave, you can link as many servers as you want, in the direction that you want, master-slave, slave-master, or slave-slave (would be cool to be able to talk between master servers somehow?).

So let me ask, what if I want a third world? What if I want to make a third world with ruins content only? I would need an even bigger world, or smaller continents. What if I want four worlds?

Given the direction the game is taking, doing this continent approach now would be a huge waste of resources. We already got the migration going.

And worry not, Klei is working on making the setup of dedicated servers very easy for you.

To be honest, this idea is so obvious and elementary, that to posit that the developers didn't already think of it themselves is almost an insult... And in a case where they truly didn't, the situation would be too screwed and hopeless, anyway.

• Developer

If this has been posted before or if this already has been discussed on the forums I'll delete it.
(Let me know)

Finstad.  :joyous:

It's a good idea in theory, you're definitely not going to be banned for proposing it! :) But yeah, as others have said, there are reasons we went the multi server way. Since the game is single threaded and that's pretty unfixable without getting rid of mods and rewriting almost all the game there's a hard limit on how much content we can put into a single world. Having migration lets you mitigate that with multiple worlds, and potentially enables some really cool stuff like giant networks of worlds. Easier caves setup is coming REALLY soon now, please let us know your thoughts once we've released it and you've tried it. Thanks for your interest in the game, please don't be discouraged by the reaction you got here!

Archived