When Do You Need Backup?

So I just had a relatively easy run absolutely destroyed when I ran everyone through a single room that was a central nexus for four different directions in the building.  I failed to account for one of the guards, he came in and saw an agent, which meant that three more guards came pouring in -- and they all had sight on different agents.

That left me wondering: When, in your experience, is it smart to let agents run through locations solo, and when is it better for them to have a partner?  Does it depend on room layout, or alarm level, or some other thing, and if so, how?

Well, its mostly my mood and the items I have. I also go with 3 agents most of the time (and get a 4. really late in endless). This is because 2 are too slow in my opinion, but beeing seen is more likely if you have 4, which are all medicore equiped that 3 which have good gear. In the end, I only send people away alone if they have a gun (on higher levels with AP) or a holographic projector (neat with archieve prism, ezly one of the stronger (cheap) compos), which allows alot of use (baiting, as well as blocking doors by throwing it in front of a door, which makes one guard bodyblock all paths). Other that that, the only ways I decide to take different roots, is when there is danger (if some angry guards chase you, it might be a good Idea to give all your items to one agents and use the other one to creat a path the guards follow. sadly this means death in alot of times, but this is the role I asign my 4. agent for  :p )

Personally, I usually pair my team up when the level begins to separate.  Then as rooms branch off even more, I may separate them again and have them go "solo" for a bit but try not to stray too far away from at least one other member.  Typically, when I have someone split off on his/her own I make sure to use an agent that is well suited to take on a situation alone.

2 agents, I separate from room 1 if I can.

3 agents, I send 2 one way and 1 the other. Depending on the map type and corporation I'm up against, I may split the team differently but usually it's the strong one on their own and the other 2 together.

4 agents, I usually to 2 and 2 but sometimes split them as above, only in 3 directions.

I try to ALWAYS put my agents in a position where they will either not be seen, or if they are seen they can get behind cover and do an end run around the investigating guard next turn. So, ideally, they won't ever NEED backup.

I try to ALWAYS put my agents in a position where they will either not be seen, or if they are seen they can get behind cover and do an end run around the investigating guard next turn. So, ideally, they won't ever NEED backup.

Yeah, I try to do that, too -- at least at the beginning.  It's just that impatience sneaks up on me, and there comes a time when I want to start trying to run towards the exit or whatever.  So I appreciate the solid advice.  :)

If I could do what you describe consistently, and stop forgetting to check one or two simple things all the time, I'd be a much better player.

If I could do what you describe consistently, and stop forgetting to check one or two simple things all the time, I'd be a much better player.

And if the game allowed you to do it in every situation, it'd be a far less fun game :grin:

I dislike having more than 2 agents in a room together. I always rush to 4 agents though because being able to split up to explore is a huge advantage and then if one agent or pair of agents is caught I have more that can attempt a rescue (or escape so I can continue the game without losing).

I usually try to pair up my agents such that for each team of 2, one has a ranged weapon and one has a melee weapon. I usually also make sure one has buster chips and one has a cloak or alt prism with her guard holomesh.

Archived