What we really want from Shipwrecked!

XirmiX

It seemed first that it's just for the sake of demo so that people could just check out the new content for 12 minutes without any of the old stuff really getting in the way, but after the stream, which showed devs playing the game, they made no mention of the old content from vanilla and RoG being added as well. 

Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it is going to be abandoned, nor does it mean that it won't be there in some conceptual form that you wouldn't recognize. Wetness was still there (that was a RoG thing), food will no doubt still spoil if left in crockpots, there will almost assuredly be very dense jungle reminiscent of the forest biomes, and so on and so forth. 

I'm willing to bet that the lore is gonna be different because of that. Else who knows what would it be like if Wilson didn't build the Jury Rigged portal.

You are placing wayyyyy too much importance on something that interferes with your headcanon alone... not to mention, it could easily be explained anyway. Who's to say Wilson built it, or that he built it alone? Maybe they finally learned how to make proper boats after so long and were able to brave the seas to other lands? Maybe they also got separated again while they were traveling?

^ See? Lore problem solved. Next.

Shipwrecked needs to include all of the old content, be it a DLC or a standalone game. Because we want more content, not a new game

As Flare2V told you above, stick to representing yourself and not some unknown group of people.

Need is a VERY strong word to use here, too strong in fact. More content is a definite yes, old content... not so much, especially if the old content conflicts with the new. I don't want a blizzard on my tropical island, I want to feel like I'm genuinely in a very different part of the world with tropical themed creatures / monsters / foods / etc. That means NO surprise Deerclops while I'm poking around a volcano, no Beargers trying to hibernate in an area that is torrid most of the time, and no penguins making ice glaciers on my white sandy beaches.

DLC / Expansion / Standalones can make anything feel like a new game if done properly. Don't focus so much on the definition, focus more on ideas that they want to use for Shipwrecked. It's gonna be Don't Starve at its heart no matter what, let's see how they can expand what it stands for. 

Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it is going to be abandoned, nor does it mean that it won't be there in some conceptual form that you wouldn't recognize. Wetness was still there (that was a RoG thing), food will no doubt still spoil if left in crockpots, there will almost assuredly be very dense jungle reminiscent of the forest biomes, and so on and so forth. 

You are placing wayyyyy too much importance on something that interferes with your headcanon alone... not to mention, it could easily be explained anyway. Who's to say Wilson built it, or that he built it alone? Maybe they finally learned how to make proper boats after so long and were able to brave the seas to other lands? Maybe they also got separated again while they were traveling?

^ See? Lore problem solved. Next.

As Flare2V told you above, stick to representing yourself and not some unknown group of people.

Need is a VERY strong word to use here, too strong in fact. More content is a definite yes, old content... not so much, especially if the old content conflicts with the new. I don't want a blizzard on my tropical island, I want to feel like I'm genuinely in a very different part of the world with tropical themed creatures / monsters / foods / etc. That means NO surprise Deerclops while I'm poking around a volcano, no Beargers trying to hibernate in an area that is torrid most of the time, and no penguins making ice glaciers on my white sandy beaches.

DLC / Expansion / Standalones can make anything feel like a new game if done properly. Don't focus so much on the definition, focus more on ideas that they want to use for Shipwrecked. It's gonna be Don't Starve at its heart no matter what, let's see how they can expand what it stands for. 

In all honesty, I was thinking the same about seeing where it goes as a completely new experience, or basically be Don't Starve 2 or something. Still though, it would be nice if you could sail on the main game. Also, Kevin confirmed that Wilson built the Jury Rigged Portal, so your theory that he might not have is out of the window. This isn't really an expansion if it doesn't expand on the new content. It's an expansion on the lore perhaps, but it isn't an expansion on the DS game. Why was it called an expansion? It makes no sense! Either way, I'm willing to see where they go from here now. Would still like to have it as a DLC in some form though.

And again, last time I checked 8 people liked my post and from the posts I've read in other thread, people were pro that exact thing or something along the lines, so yes, I can speak of "we" instead of just "me". If I did say "me", you'd just call me selfish, so please, stop manipulating me here with referring just to myself, okay? I blocked Flare2V for that and due to him being a total ass hole before, so, please stop trying to push me down just because YOU disagree with me.

And again, last time I checked 8 people liked my post and from the posts I've read in other thread, people were pro that exact thing or something along the lines, so yes, I can speak of "we" instead of just "me"

No, that really means a lot less than you think it does, and does not give you any kind of power to speak for everyone. And clearly since I'm not the only one telling you to not speak for others, the view isn't mine alone either, but that doesn't mean I'm going to presume to speak for them; they got accounts, they can say it themselves if they feel so compelled to.

I agree. We haven't seen a good deal of what's going to be in Shipwrecked, so it's a little soon to be upset about what's going to be left behind. What I'm foreseeing we're going to get is a tropical overhaul of Don't Starve that's maybe slightly smaller in content than vanilla Don't Starve. Which will essentially give us two very different, but equally fun and essentially Don't Starve games to play.

No, that really means a lot less than you think it does, and does not give you any kind of power to speak for everyone. And clearly since I'm not the only one telling you to not speak for others, the view isn't mine alone either, but that doesn't mean I'm going to presume to speak for them; they got accounts, they can say it themselves if they feel so compelled to.

I'm not speaking for everyone, I'm speaking for A LOT of us. There's a BIIIG difference there, mate.

I'm not speaking for everyone, I'm speaking for A LOT of us. There's a BIIIG difference there, mate.

There's a lot of people on these forums, and even if significantly more than 8 of them were agreeing with you (which they might be), the smart thing to do is to only speak for yourself, and let everyone else speak for themselves as well.

I agree. We haven't seen a good deal of what's going to be in Shipwrecked, so it's a little soon to be upset about what's going to be left behind. What I'm foreseeing we're going to get is a tropical overhaul of Don't Starve that's maybe slightly smaller in content than vanilla Don't Starve. Which will essentially give us two very different, but equally fun and essentially Don't Starve games to play.

Can you understand though why some people are upset that we are getting 2 "equally fun and essential Don't Starve games to play"? Say for example next year they release Don't Starve: Frozen Solid, a new standalone game set in the arctic tundra, and then in 2 years time they release Don't Starve: Under The Sea and so on and so forth. Some people want to have all these Don't Starve experiences in the same game so that all the content plays off of one another.

People are voicing their opinions that this is the type of game they would like to play, just as you are voicing your opinion that you want to experience the game as a separate entity.

There's a lot of people on these forums, and even if significantly more than 8 of them were agreeing with you (which they might be), the smart thing to do is to only speak for yourself, and let everyone else speak for themselves as well.

Just because in a sense I speak for them, doesn't mean they can't speak for themselves. Also it is evident that most of the people from the forum who are interested into Shipwrecked want something that is along the lines of this.

But you know what, whatever, say I do just speak for myself next time; is that gonna be better? No, it'll make me look selfish -.-

Just because in a sense I speak for them, doesn't mean they can't speak for themselves. Also it is evident that most of the people from the forum who are interested into Shipwrecked want something that is along the lines of this.

But you know what, whatever, say I do just speak for myself next time; is that gonna be better? No, it'll make me look selfish -.-

I can't say we can speak for others, but other people are faultive of not coming to talk themselves. So it's both parts.

My point of view(because it's a way to give feedback, i guess?):

At first, like a lot of people here, when Shipwrecked was announced, i really thought it was a DLC, so i was kinda disappointed when they said it was not. But when JoeW made an answer to the feedback, hope came.

So now, i would really love if they bypass all the technical issues and add it as the DLC we saw coming. But if they really can't, for any reasons, then i'll still give it a try, 'cause as said whoever, "You can't know how it tastes 'till you bite it". I have high hope for any case, cause i saw the alpha stage, the unseen features, and whatever if it'll be at the level of content of Don't Starve or not, in one case, it'll be worth a good play or the other case, it'll be as epic as an adventure!

Also, all this babbling me made have a good laugh, thanks y'all :)

Archived