Comparisons With Greek Mythology

Wiley

Before coming to the forums I always assumed the characters had died. I most strongly believed this when unlocking Willow who was depicted as a little girl holding a match surrounded by flames. That suggested she had burned something, presumably their house, and died.

In Greek mythology, Charon was the ferryman who guided the soul from the world of the living to the world of the dead. I also thought this was something similar to Maxwell's purpose. There was a form of punishment in the underworld where you lived alone in a vast wasteland surrounded by your fears (eg. the dark, spiders and, in Wendy's case, the ghost of her dead sister) for eternity.

What does everyone think?

Edited by Wiley

Before coming to the forums I always assumed the characters had died. I most strongly believed this when unlocking Willow who was depicted as a little girl holding a match surrounded by flames. That suggested she had burned something, presumably their house, and died.

In Greek mythology, Charon was the ferryman who guided the soul from the world of the living to the world of the dead. I also thought this was something similar to Maxwell's purpose. There was a form of punishment in the underworld where you lived alone in a vast wasteland surrounded by your fears (eg. the dark, spiders and, in Wendy's case, the ghost of her dead sister) for eternity.

What does everyone think?

interestening idea, but doesnt sound that logical imo. Since you can die in Dont Starve, it cant really be a punishment for eternity. I also believe that in the tales about the wasteland, there wasnt anything resembling food or whatever. it was just you, surrounded by your fears.

I don't think they're dead, because the game's description hints that there's a way for them to escape and go back home (which will presumably be the goal in story mode), but Greek mythology might have been used as an inspiration for some of the aspects of the game.