What determines terminal base power?

Might be other factors but I know with reasonable certainty that difficulty affects it. Doing expert/expert+, I haven't seen a console with base power higher than 5 but when I did a beginner run to test stuff I saw one with 7 base power.

When you say terminals, are you referring to consoles?

I have noticed that the power increases as time goes by, but I don't understand exactly how or why.  I always use wireless hacking with Internationale.  On the first turn, she gets some power, usually 1 or 2 or so, plus her bonus amount, for a total of maybe 4.  But several turns later, she'll pull down 7 power.  I have no idea why.

When you say terminals, are you referring to consoles?

I have noticed that the power increases as time goes by, but I don't understand exactly how or why.  I always use wireless hacking with Internationale.  On the first turn, she gets some power, usually 1 or 2 or so, plus her bonus amount, for a total of maybe 4.  But several turns later, she'll pull down 7 power.  I have no idea why.

You can mouse-over and read the tooltip that shows how much power it will give you. And William's right, I've never seen a base 5 power console near the starting entrance. The map generation tries to make it as inconvenient as possible to get the higher power consoles.

Yeah, that's actually excactly how it works. Every room in the game has a 'depth' value that depends on how many rooms you have to get through to get to it. All consoles then share 10 PWR (two PWR per console) depending on their depth, and is then rounded up. That is why high value consoles are rarer, because there needs to be alot of consoles in a group and then a lone one in a different area.

Archived