To Klei - DRM-Free Version of Don't Starve Together, Please Read

Hello Klei,

I've been following your progress on DST and have to say you've made a great effort on this project, much appreciated. Do you think you will be able to provide a DRM-Free version via GOG and GOG Galaxy when the game is out of Early Access on Steam?

I know you have said that it relies on Steam API's on many occasions, however I would also like point out a few things here:

- DST is clearly playable using LAN and VPN without Steam, a simple "don't starve together tunngle" google search is enough to confirm this and there are various "unofficial" download links too.

- Personally I'm an exclusively DRM-Free gamer, sending you my GOG key for a Steam key isn't going to solve things.

- Pirates are happily enjoying the game for free, without Steam and all of it's api's, while DRM-Free honest customers are left out in the cold.

I understand you're still patching the game very frequently and I don't expect you to release such a version tomorrow or next Monday. But I hope that you will consider providing it to GOG users.

Lastly remember, some DRM-Free customers will be more than happy to play the game over an LAN/VPN than not being able to play it at all.

Thank you for reading.

From what I've experienced, this game is a straight up LAN/Private Server game entirely. All that Klei needs to do is make public multiplayer more appealing, balanced, and less grief prone. Once that happens, LAN, private servers, and torrenting, will no longer be a thing. They should really consider this because if they don't, they will be losing a lot of money and players because of these pirates. It's simple, if Klei gives them no reason to buy the game, why would they?

They aren't refusing to make a DRM-free version ya know. It just hasn't happened yet.

They have also not mentioned if it is in their road map at all and the road map lists the expansion for DST.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/46183-dont-starve-and-dont-starve-together/

just say it is too heavily dependent on steam, which it is not in all honesty.

To the OP, we have requested info on this numerous times and that's about all we get as a reply.

They aren't refusing to make a DRM-free version ya know. It just hasn't happened yet.

Basically this.

DST was made with Steam in Mind. They found it a lot easier. Not to say it won't become a thing. It'll probably, even if the current team that does it (though it probably will, considering they did everything). So it's a maybe for DRM, as it is a maybe with a WiiU or PS4 versions of DST. 

They have also not mentioned if it is in their road map at all and the road map lists the expansion for DST.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/46183-dont-starve-and-dont-starve-together/

just say it is too heavily dependent on steam, which it is not in all honesty.

To the OP, we have requested info on this numerous times and that's about all we get as a reply.

Saying they haven't worked it out yet and don't have a timeline for it isn't untrue nor dishonest. Not being happy with the answer - that's all it is.

Saying they haven't worked it out yet and don't have a timeline for it isn't untrue nor dishonest. Not being happy with the answer - that's all it is.

yes, but giving the impression that it is heavily dependent on Steam is untrue.

Archived