Question for the devs - just curious

WARNING!  Slight spoilers ahead!  Do not read if you have not completed story mode on Expert, unless you want some very minor spoilers!

So, out of curiosity, is there a reason that it was decided that only the original On File agents (Decker, Shalem, Xu, Banks, Nika, and Internationale) can be found in Detention Centers?

Archive Agents makes sense, as those are basically just versions of the On File agents from the past, and it would be a bit weird to rescue yourself from 20 years ago locked away behind bars in a modern day Plastech cell.

I can somewhat understand why Monst3r and Central can't be found in Detention Centers as that might ruin the story mode a bit, but it seems like it would be "easy" (relatively, lol) to not unlock these 2 for discovery in Detention Centers until they were actually unlocked on your roster.

As for Prism and Sharp, I'm just a complete loss as to why these can't be found in the Detention Centers at all, as they are just normal On File agents from what I can tell.  They may also need to be unlocked via gameplay, however; I'm honestly unsure about this one, since I had XP from Early Access...  But if so, these could also be given the same "not rescuable until unlocked on roster" treatment.

The game is absolutely fantastic, and I've been playing the heck out of it since launch and having a blast!  My favorite part of the game is piecing together the perfect team for my playstyle and just watching all of the pieces fit together like a well-oiled spy machine.

I may be the only one who enjoys that aspect of the game, as I know most are more about simply using what you find and making the best of it.  I enjoy that too, but I don't mind having to hobble along w/ less / un-upgraded agents in order to find a better fit for my team.

So while I love trying out new agents, I feel a bit railroaded by the game forcing me to use 2 "special" agents from the very start or never, as I will never find them throughout the course of the game, even though I have them unlocked.

Didn't start w/ Prism?  Well, too bad, you'll never have Prism on your team now.  Same for Sharp, Central, and Monst3r.  But it's perfectly fine to play through the game w/ Decker and Shalem for the umpteenth time in a row, I guess.  : P

Just seems kind of like a letdown to have a roster of 16 total agents (On File + Archived), but out of those you can only ever find 6 in a Detention Center.  : /

I agree, which is why I decided to try to ask about it.

I'm not mad or anything, and of course I already did say that I'm having a fantastic time playing as-is, but I do believe that it would feel more rewarding to unlock characters and actually be able to find them as you play through the game.

Didn't start w/ Prism?  Well, too bad, you'll never have Prism on your team now.  Same for Sharp, Central, and Monst3r.  But it's perfectly fine to play through the game w/ Decker and Shalem for the umpteenth time in a row, I guess.  : P

I asked about it on Steam-forums when there was last patch, and it appeared to be just an accident and Jason (is I remember correctly) said that he put it on the bug-list. So if  they will not be overlooked again, ater next patch-update Prism and Sharp should be be in detentions.

I asked about it on Steam-forums when there was last patch, and it appeared to be just an accident and Jason (is I remember correctly) said that he put it on the bug-list. So if  they will not be overlooked again, ater next patch-update Prism and Sharp should be be in detentions.

That's excellent news, if true!

Still would love to see Central and Monst3r show up (mostly out of principle, I don't really use Monst3r except to steal his gun...), but this is at least a step in the right direction.

: )

That's excellent news, if true!

Still would love to see Central and Monst3r show up (mostly out of principle, I don't really use Monst3r except to steal his gun...), but this is at least a step in the right direction.

: )

Finding Central or Monster in a Detention Centre would make no sense lorewise. Are they supposed to be communicating with you / selling you stuff, somehow, while detained?

Not to mention that getting either in the late game is more of a penalty than a bonus, because you would have gotten them anyway in the last mission. Saving a prisoner is strictly better, because at least you get money to spend on cool stuff.

Finding Central or Monster in a Detention Centre would make no sense lorewise. Are they supposed to be communicating with you / selling you stuff, somehow, while detained?

Not to mention that getting either in the late game is more of a penalty than a bonus, because you would have gotten them anyway in the last mission. Saving a prisoner is strictly better, because at least you get money to spend on cool stuff.

Well, like many others, I mostly play this game on Endless as I find the normal campaign to be both too easy and too short.  There are many factors that you simply don't come across in a normal campaign, such as 2.0 Daemons, constant Omni troops, Countermeasures on every level, locked Exit doors, etc.

And in Endless mode, Central is one of the best characters in the game period, regardless of when you get her.   :razz:

Money, on the other hand, is pretty trivial after a while.  For example, in my current Endless playthrough, it's day 8 and I have 22,000+ credits.  When I rescue an agent, I can upgrade them to max immediately as well as outfit them completely w/ lvl III items and still have more credits than I know what to do w/ left over.  I could literally shoot money at my enemies, take out every guard on the level, and have money left over...

I have had many games that went on to 20-30 days length before I decided to start over, and it's in these types of games that you care far more about perfecting your stable to take on all of the increased difficulties than trivial matters like cash or being able to find cool new toys, because those are pretty much a given.

The point you make about Central and Derek being free lore-wise and able to speak / sell to you is fair enough, though.  : )

Mmmm, I hadn't thought about Endless. It should definitely be possible to get either character on Endless, from a purely gameplay-oriented perspective. I guess they could also remove the inter-mission dialogue (since there's no story on Endless anyway) and have someone else than Monster sell you stuff.

Archived