How I became a murderer

I started up a server for me and my friends, it was wilderness with PVP turned on. I was a noble wigfrid, I bumped into beffalo, spiders, gold and a bunch of ponds right of the bat, so I settled don at the end of a cobblestone road. By this point my friends had found the server and started joining. One of my friends, electriclaser, was one of the floodgaters and asked me what character he should use for DST (he played woodie in DS). I said they all had their uses but he was not aloud to play wigfrid because she was my character. As he did not have RoG in standard DS he gravitated toward webber, I warned him that he was choosing a monster fit only to be hunted but he insisted.

I think it is worth mentioning that around this time I found the eye bone which I proceded to brag about, proclaiming that I was the chosen one.

5 nights later and there was still no sign of anyone. Some people I didn't know had joined the server, and the night was filled with foreboding messages about them dying from darkness. My friend, webber, was among these deaths as well, and I found his body along with a hoard of spiders dangerously close to my base of operations. I continued on, deciding that I was in need of a crockpot.

I had not begun to burn down a nearby forest when I saw a familiar character approaching from the bottom of my screen. Webber, carrying a hatchet, ran straight at my base! At this moment my skype call with electriclaser was cut, so, expecting hostility, I charged him using the almighty power of the unicorn.

I was able to get to hits of before he started running I chased him into a field of spiders and past what looked like his camp. I eventually caught up to him and delivered the final blow.

After a quick looting I got a call on skype from the man(spider) that I had just impaled. He was furious and said that my actions were uncalled for. I replied that I had warned him not to be webber and advised he chose a milder character this time. He chose webber.

I was now under frequent attacks from webber. I belive I killed him two more times and used up half a pan flute in the process. However, he had progressed much from the hatchet weilding maniac when we met the fourth time.

Another one of my friends, playing as the now declawed willow, had joined me by this time. She had recently outrun a dragonfly found in a desert and originally came seeking only a bush hat (her asperation at the time). Although suspicious at first I eventually began to trust her, and soon we became alies, with her eating berries and me eating frogs we got on quite well. That was when webber showed up.

This time he had a quite formiddible army. While gathering bushes for bush hats I had forgot to check in on the old spider's camp, but when he aproched my camp with numerous hives backing him my mistake was made clear. In his absence he had looted some corpses of other wigfrids on the server and so we began our battle: Wigfrid and bush hatted buddy vs. Webber and about 25 spiders.

I quickly put the spiders to sleep with my flute, knowing that when giants showed up later I would regret my dissision. We gave chase to webber but he escaped through a maze of tier 3 spider dens. We got lost in the middle of the maze and webber took his chance to strike at our base, stealing chester! Distraught, Willow rushed into the tier 3 dens dying a stupid and avoidable death. I gave chase in a more subtle manner but by the time I reached webber his spiders had already eaten chester. It became clear to me that I could not chase webber through his spidery den, but he also couldn't take me head on with my pan flute and superior equipment and health regeneration. We had to reach a compromise.

I explained that it was day 15, I was the only one on the server with a beefalo hat, and if we didn't stop fighting and start storing suplies neither of us would last the winter. He agreed, and our rivalry ended.

It is now day 18 and all is well. There are beefalo hats for all and webber has agreed to burn down his tier 3 spider dens so we don't have to deal with queens over winter. Our current plan is to find a swamp so we can catch a bird and live of a diet of pure bacon.

I wish my story had a more climactic ending, but it just goes to show that in don't starve, survival comes first. Winter and summer have turned from my least favorite seasons to things I look forward to, seasons where we can put aside petty squabbles and play like we were on survival, not wilderness.

I wish my story had a more climactic ending, but it just goes to show that in don't starve, survival comes first. Winter and summer have turned from my least favorite seasons to things I look forward to, seasons where we can put aside petty squabbles and play like we were on survival, not wilderness.

It's a peaceful ending but quite unusual. :D Usually, war rages on until the weaker side dies in combat and the victors die from starvation.

I wonder what would've happened if Winter isn't coming. Sounds like a pretty balanced fight. You with your experience and him with his sheer numbers.

Wow, that was a great story. :-)

It's possible you could have brute-forced through his defenses and gotten revenge for Willow, maybe with a ranged weapon or fire; you could have certainly used some [monster] meat or a Beefalo Horn and brought your own army to counter his, but that's all a bunch of work. You've reached a better (if, perhaps, less exciting) solution, which was pretty amazing, nice cooperation!

I'm guessing Willow was resurrected, though.

Did Webber reveal later whether he truly meant to attack your base the first time?

Archived