Decoration  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to have craftable decorative items in DST?

• Yes! My base is my castle
    • No! This game is about surviving in the wild
    • I actually don't care

This thread is all about the big question:

Will there be craftable decorative items to pimp up your base camp?

I searched the forum and didn't find much about this except some few discussions about walls, gates/doors, roofs or houses.

So what about the idea of having craftable decorative items like bookshelfs, tables, chairs, vases for flowers etc. ?

A lot of friends I played with stated out that they'd love to play the game more often with the possibility to have a growing and evolving base camp.

The decoration woulnd't do anything than staying and lying around (so no ingame buffs like sanity plus) BUT it would add a good long term task for player groups who are hanging in bordedome imo.

So I started the poll to find out how you guys think about this AND hopefully get some devs information about the whole topic.

Will DST have features to personalize your bases or will it always be a "survive with the essentials" game?

If there was an official response from Klei in the past about this please let me hear it or link it :grin:

I'm in.

if someone don't want it-don't use it.

But only for advenced players (Hard-to-get items)

i'mean i cant build a castel after 3 days in my save.

That would've been my suggestion as well, items should also include gathering "hard to get stuff".

Wood table-> wood. Stone chair-> stone. Fancy candelabra-> roam the caves and get some glow berries. Quick made examples of course, but the fancier your goal, the rarer/harder the items you need to ensure exploring and gathering is 1. necessary and 2. worth your while.

That would've been my suggestion as well, items should also include gathering "hard to get stuff".

Wood table-> wood. Stone chair-> stone. Fancy candelabra-> roam the caves and get some glow berries. Quick made examples of course, but the fancier your goal, the rarer/harder the items you need to ensure exploring and gathering is 1. necessary and 2. worth your while.

umm Ok.

I am all for building bases and decorative stuff to make them more... civilized. And I do agree that these things could be acquired in a way that would be difficult like as you said about the candelabra... we actually have one already, the Potted Fern... it is difficult to acquire as it requires broken slurtle shell pieces (which are unobtainable legitimately without the caves) and I could do with more of them and I wish the devs would make more things like them...

But now that I think about it and voice (type) it out, having one around -- showcasing one -- sounds very similar to "achievements" which are frowned upon apparently... Although they aren't technically achievements...

Still, I think that since they've already done the potted fern and that hasn't been scrapped yet then they should continue with this line :) possibly actually adding sanity auras or stuff...

*then comes a deerclops and all of your hard-earned loot, bookshelves, and vases reduced to rubble and garbage*

O__O

You know if they had sanity auras i think i'd be up for it just they just don't seem necessary in don't starve...also would hate it if someone burned down my wooden chairs and my wooden dinner table with a TORCH i'd cry every time.

we actually have one already, the Potted Fern...

Damn you're right, I totally forgot about those. So the decoration idea is already in the game but needs to be worked out properly someday.

You know if they had sanity auras i think i'd be up for it just they just don't seem necessary in don't starve...

The problem with sanity regeneration is that it would screw over winters, late fall/early spring where you have long periods of dusk and night. If objects would give you bonus sanity you could just relax at home without worrying about the dark. Even now sanity management is a piece of cake for many players, to implement more mechanics to regenerate it would unbalance it more imo.

But really hard to obtain decorations COULD have bonuses that basic ones don't have, which ones, why and how much should be properly thought through; noone should be forced to having that one special cupboard because of balancing fails.

also would hate it if someone burned down my wooden chairs and my wooden dinner table with a TORCH i'd cry every time.

:grin: Griefers gonna grief.

The main idea was to implement a game task for friend groups who are interested in making a designed base for themselves, I highly doubt that someone wanna place a golden sculpured castle in a swamp on a random public server. On the second thought, that sounds like fun o_o

Griefers gonna grief. The main idea was to implement a game task for friend groups who are interested in making a designed base for themselves, I highly doubt that someone wanna place a golden sculpured castle in a swamp on a random public server. On the second thought, that sounds like fun o_o
I don't think i've ever been griefed once so guess I couldn't say that xD 

This is where the gramaphone should be implemented! (Based on the game files) Having different kinds of music records to have a little ambience in your base that gives out sanity gain or sanity loss based on different types of music (creepy or soothing) and those records has a durability so that you have to make or find some more of them if you want to play the gramaphone again.

Or maybe has a modifier that is similar to the obelisks when you're getting insane, it triggers. But for the gramaphone has a modifier that when your sanity is more than 50%, it gives out sanity gain as much as the glommer gives out but if your sanity is less than 50%, the music changes into a sanity draining noise.

What do you guys think of this? :)

This is where the gramaphone should be implemented! (Based on the game files) Having different kinds of music records to have a little ambience in your base that gives out sanity gain or sanity loss based on different types of music (creepy or soothing) and those records has a durability so that you have to make or find some more of them if you want to play the gramaphone again. Or maybe has a modifier that is similar to the obelisks when you're getting insane, it triggers. But for the gramaphone has a modifier that when your sanity is more than 50%, it gives out sanity gain as much as the glommer gives out but if your sanity is less than 50%, the music changes into a sanity draining noise.

So much yes! (I ran out of likes :T) 

EDIT: Got more likes

Archived