Tallbird life cycle doesn't work!

When devs said they updated Tallbird life cycle, they didn't specify what they updated for it. Ergo, we do not know what was intended. Though, after checking in-game how the life cycle works for them... It's totally rubbish. I'll list issues and my suggestions to the issues below. Remember, that Tallbird species are very complex and cannot be done with a few lines of code. They need a lot of work to make the life cycle correct. Else, speaking from logical point of view, all that would be left of them are the bones (they don't drop any, but I won't get into that). So, here's the list:

* Tallbirds do not eat anything, but their smallbirds and teenbirds do. I'd recommend that Tallbirds too would eat stuff, such as meat.

* Smallbirds and Teenbirds, raised by their actual parents still need food. I kept hearing two smallbirds chirp for food from their parent Tallbirds. My suggestion is that Tallbirds could feed them, aparently with seeds. However, this does not mean they need to have inventory to have seeds, they would just "feed" them, like the Pig guards fuel their torches with nothing!

* Teenbirds eat Tallbird eggs! I know it makes sense if they eat meat, but come on, they're not monsters to be canibals! They are in fact just animals, giving naughtiness to the player if they get killed! Cmon devs! Besides, if you want to raise another smallbird, but have a Teenbird with you and the Teenbird is hungry, the Teenbird will automatically eat the egg! This might be an issue for when Teenbirds are raised naturally and their Tallbird parent has another egg in nest, however I'm not sure. Pigs should not eat Tallbird eggs left on ground either, or at least the hatching ones. Because if you have Pig buddies with you and you want to raise a Smallbird, well you can't, because the pig will eat the egg!

* Tallbirds multiply, but only the first generation has nests. Idk why devs can't improve this. This kind of thing would definitely be possible to do within a code! I'd recommend that if a Teenbird raised naturally would then become Tallbird, it would jot only leave its parent, but walk a further distance away from the parent and then make a nest in which it will then raise an egg of its own. This might lead to Tallbird overpopulation unless the player kburns the nests and kills the Tallbirds. However, this process can be slowed down if the program is changed so that if a Tallbird is killed, then it wouldn't respawn at the nest. If an egg is in that nest and the Tallbird gets killed, then the smallbird will hatch, but it won't have anything to feed it, so it would die from starvation. Then the only option would be to steal the egg and keep running away until the Tallbird gives up. If a nest is not occupied by a Tallbird anymore but a new Tallbird is raised by player or naturally, that Tallbird would then instead of making a new nest would occupy that nest, if that Tallbird detects the nest not too far away. Also, some barricades might get in the way of the Tallbird taking over a nest or building a new one somewhere, so I'd recommend that those Tallbirds would go around barricades to get to it if they don't already. If the nest has a tallbird egg in it but then the nest get occupied by a Tallbird other than the actual parent of that egg, the Tallbird occupying that nest would still raise the egg. I'd also recommend that a new egg should be layed by a Tallbird once their first child Teenbird becomes a Tallbird and leaves the nest. This way the cycle of Tallbirds will continue whether they are raised naturally or by a player.

* Egg snatching is something that Tallbirds do not actually care about, they merely want to kill the things around their nest! And this is a big problem. I'd recommend that say, if a player snatches and egg from a Tallbird, but after a while the player puts it down, the Tallbird would take the egg by its beak and return to its nest to also put the egg back in there. If the player dropped the egg, Tallbird took it back, but the player attacked the Tallbird, then the Tallbird would have its egg dropped down. If the player then runs off far away, leading the Tallbird quite far from its egg, the Tallbird would give up the chase again, grab the egg and go back to its nest to return it. Of course, a Tallbird could give up the chase even when the player still has the egg, but only after a very long time, after which it will return to its nest to lay another egg later.

So, how do you like my lifecycle suggestion of Tallbirdology? I'd like it if you shared your opinions :)

When devs said they updated Tallbird life cycle, they didn't specify what they updated for it. Ergo, we do not know what was intended. Though, after checking in-game how the life cycle works for them... It's totally rubbish. I'll list issues and my suggestions to the issues below. Remember, that Tallbird species are very complex and cannot be done with a few lines of code. They need a lot of work to make the life cycle correct. Else, speaking from logical point of view, all that would be left of them are the bones (they don't drop any, but I won't get into that). So, here's the list:

* Tallbirds do not eat anything, but their smallbirds and teenbirds do. I'd recommend that Tallbirds too would eat stuff, such as meat.

* Smallbirds and Teenbirds, raised by their actual parents still need food. I kept hearing two smallbirds chirp for food from their parent Tallbirds. My suggestion is that Tallbirds could feed them, aparently with seeds. However, this does not mean they need to have inventory to have seeds, they would just "feed" them, like the Pig guards fuel their torches with nothing!

* Teenbirds eat Tallbird eggs! I know it makes sense if they eat meat, but come on, they're not monsters to be canibals! They are in fact just animals, giving naughtiness to the player if they get killed! Cmon devs! Besides, if you want to raise another smallbird, but have a Teenbird with you and the Teenbird is hungry, the Teenbird will automatically eat the egg! This might be an issue for when Teenbirds are raised naturally and their Tallbird parent has another egg in nest, however I'm not sure. Pigs should not eat Tallbird eggs left on ground either, especially the hatching ones. Because if you have Pig buddies with you and you want to raise a Smallbird, well you can't, because the pig will eat the egg!

* Tallbirds multiply, but only the first generation has nests. Idk why devs can't improve this. This kind of thing would definitely be possible to do within a code! I'd recommend that if a Teenbird raised naturally would then become Tallbird, it would jot only leave its parent, but walk a further distance away from the parent and then make a nest in which it will then raise an egg of its own. This might lead to Tallbird overpopulation unless the player kburns the nests and kills the Tallbirds. However, this process can be slowed down if the program is changed so that if a Tallbird is killed, then it wouldn't respawn at the nest. If an egg is in that nest and the Tallbird gets killed, then the smallbird will hatch, but it won't have anything to feed it, so it would die from starvation. Then the only option would be to steal the egg and keep running away until the Tallbird gives up. If a nest is not occupied by a Tallbird anymore but a new Tallbird is raised by player or naturally, that Tallbird would then instead of making a new nest would occupy that nest, if that Tallbird detects the nest not too far away. Also, some barricades might get in the way of the Tallbird taking over a nest or building a new one somewhere, so I'd recommend that those Tallbirds would go around barricades to get to it if they don't already. If the nest has a tallbird egg in it but then the nest get occupied by a Tallbird other than the actual parent of that egg, the Tallbird occupying that nest would still raise the egg. I'd also recommend that a new egg should be layed by a Tallbird once their first child Teenbird becomes a Tallbird and leaves the nest. This way the cycle of Tallbirds will continue whether they are raised naturally or by a player.

* Egg snatching is something that Tallbirds do not actually care about, they merely want to kill the things around their nest! And this is a big problem. I'd recommend that say, if a player snatches and egg from a Tallbird, but after a while the player puts it down, the Tallbird would take the egg by its beak and return to its nest to also put the egg back in there. If the player dropped the egg, Tallbird took it back, but the player attacked the Tallbird, then the Tallbird would have its egg dropped down. If the player then runs off far away, leading the Tallbird quite far from its egg, the Tallbird would give up the chase again, grab the egg and go back to its nest to return it. Of course, a Tallbird could give up the chase even when the player still has the egg, but only after a very long time, after which it will return to its nest to lay another egg later.

So, how do you like my lifecycle suggestion of Tallbirdology? I'd like it if you shared your opinions :-)

XirmiX, I like you now. Don't ruin it. :razz:

@Weirdobob believe me, I love Tallbirds. More than Spiders or hounds (I hate those two actually). Tallbird is probably the most creative mob idea in the game! Also, in terms of multiplayer, because Smallbirds and Teenbirds stop following you when re-entering the server, I would recommend that they would make animations of Teenbirds and Smallbirds exiting, similarly to how Abigail functions when a Wendy player exits. For the Smallbird, I think the exiting animation could be like that of a Birchnutter. For Teenbird, I'm not sure what animation could work out the best for exiting the game.

@Weirdobob believe me, I love Tallbirds. More than Spiders or hounds (I hate those two actually). Tallbird is probably the most creative mob idea in the game! Also, in terms of multiplayer, because Smallbirds and Teenbirds stop following you when re-entering the server, I would recommend that they would make animations of Teenbirds and Smallbirds exiting, similarly to how Abigail functions when a Wendy player exits. For the Smallbird, I think the exiting animation could be like that of a Birchnutter. For Teenbird, I'm not sure what animation could work out the best for exiting the game.

But they're living animals... I just wish that Klei made it so when they see you again, they remember you.

* Teenbirds eat Tallbird eggs! I know it makes sense if they eat meat, but come on, they're not monsters to be canibals! They are in fact just animals, giving naughtiness to the player if they get killed! Cmon devs! Besides, if you want to raise another smallbird, but have a Teenbird with you and the Teenbird is hungry, the Teenbird will automatically eat the egg! This might be an issue for when Teenbirds are raised naturally and their Tallbird parent has another egg in nest, however I'm not sure. 

Is this why I've occasionally seen tallbirds attack teenbirds? I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be natural, but now that sounds like a likely explanation.

I'm not sure how they avoid starving long enough to become a teenbird in the wild in the first place. It would make sense if tallbirds could feed their children. 

But they're living animals... I just wish that Klei made it so when they see you again, they remember you.

I know, but don't you feel sad when... wait a minute... What if they just have the disappearing animation which players have? And the same for the entering! That's very simple as, don't you think? Tallbirdology :D !

yeah, I feared that would happen. Back in the RoG beta, there was something about reproducing Tallbirds. I'm not sure if it's still in the game, but my only experience with it was finding tons of raw mutton and rot around Tallbird nests because their offspring kept starving. I was hoping they fixed that somehow.

Archived