Dedicated server hosts suggestions

Hey

I'm planning to get a dedicated server, one hosted by a company since I'm not able to have a server always on on my computer. Can you guys give me some suggestions apart from citadelservers.com that offers good prices for many slots? Thanks

Hey

I'm planning to get a dedicated server, one hosted by a company since I'm not able to have a server always on on my computer. Can you guys give me some suggestions apart from citadelservers.com that offers good prices for many slots? Thanks

I cannot.  I can however give you my opinion on my citadelserver service.  I just purchased it two days ago, and so far I am very pleased.  Setup was quick and painless.  I have only purchased a 6 player server, but I don't really need a large server.  How many slots were you wanting to acquire?  I bought the Vermont based server, I am located in NY.  This to me was a better option than getting the Canadian hosted server.  I will let you know my opinion again after I play around with it some more as it is only day 3 of my purchase.  P.S. I found a 10% off first time promo code posted somewhere (Either steam or klei forums) for them.  This is a good deal if you do the full year payment.

I acquired since my post a 9 slot citadel server, but I'm really disappointed about the game support for mods. I won't renew my subscription, because I end up wasting so much time fixing my server and making sure it works.

I'm almost surprised anyone is offering Dedicated Servers while something is in beta.  There is more work than I would like in maintaining my server on Citadel servers, but it seems pretty stable thus far.  The only other company hosting has a lot less available options.

I acquired since my post a 9 slot citadel server, but I'm really disappointed about the game support for mods. I won't renew my subscription, because I end up wasting so much time fixing my server and making sure it works.

are you making mods or adding mods?  Seems pretty straight forward if you are using existing steam workshop mods and the dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua file in the main mods directory.

As far as I know, from the posts in the Klei forum http://forums.kleientertainment.com/forum/80-dont-starve-together-beta-server-bulletin/ there are currently three companies offering hosting for DST.

CitadelServers, [removed], and KillServers.

All three run the same basic infrastructure in terms of setup and all have pretty good support.  I have one KillServers server out of Phoenix (iirc), my CitadelServers server is out of Montreal, and [removed] is European and Australian (the server they host for me is AU).  Of the three I believe only [removed] is offering servers with more than 8 slots for players, but I could VERY easily be mis-remembering that.

I don't think anyone else has yet ventured into the territory of DST servers as of yet.

As far as I know, from the posts in the Klei forum http://forums.kleientertainment.com/forum/80-dont-starve-together-beta-server-bulletin/ there are currently three companies offering hosting for DST.

CitadelServers, [removed], and KillServers.

All three run the same basic infrastructure in terms of setup and all have pretty good support.  I have one KillServers server out of Phoenix (iirc), my CitadelServers server is out of Montreal, and [removed] is European and Australian (the server they host for me is AU).  Of the three I believe only [removed] is offering servers with more than 8 slots for players, but I could VERY easily be mis-remembering that.

I don't think anyone else has yet ventured into the territory of DST servers as of yet.

We offer up to 64 to 6 players for Don't Starve Together Game Servers at Citadel Servers. We offer Game servers in the US, Canada and various locations in europe. We are looking to expand into australia and south america soon.We also offer alternative\higher tickrates from the standard 15 as configurable options you can select.

I'm almost surprised anyone is offering Dedicated Servers while something is in beta.  There is more work than I would like in maintaining my server on Citadel servers, but it seems pretty stable thus far.  The only other company hosting has a lot less available options.

I know I'm a little late to this one, but one could go the same route as I have. Rent a dedicated linux (or windows, but you'll pay extra) server and setup the dedi server on that instead. That way, you can set your own slots, tick rate etc etc (although it will be far more manual and much more difficult to setup).

With my current host, running on a Sydney server, everyone who has joined my server has said it was the best performing server they have ever joined, it is almost always the lowest ping server on the server list (in Australia), I'm with Amazon's web services.

Fair warning, most companies will not allow you to run game servers (costs far to much for DDOS protection and they have business customers they can't afford to have slowdowns for). Always check the TOS or email their customer services.

Hi Arheidis, what can we do to make your life easier? By Game support you are refering to having to copy and paste links from the workshop into your mod files to use them?

We are actually planning on adding one-click installation for mods in the next week so for most of the popular, stable mods, you can simply click install on a mod which shows the details of what the mod can do and where to get support and it will be installed, no hassle, no fuss.

Hi Torath, what can we do to make maintaining your server with us easier?

Archived