[Windows] Server shows bad host while it is not? & Item Spawning Issue.

So my server specs are the following:

RAM: 8GB

CPU: 8 Cores (Unknown threads)

1GB Port Speed

10GB Network Card

350MBps up/down Network

Running on a 750GB HDD (Shared) > Can always move to SSD

My server has around ~10 people online and it shows "Bad Host" but there is barely in-game lag. Is there anything I can do to improve this? (I have already tried setting the server to high priority).

It seems kinda odd to me why it would show a bad host with such specs.

ADDITIONAL QUESTION: I have set my ID in the adminlist.txt and I am admin, I can spawn items but I cannot pick them up nor can I use commands like c_sethealth() or c_setsanity(). Is there anything I can change to set my character to admin properly so it does allow me to spawn items? Thank you.

ADDITIONAL QUESTION: I have set my ID in the adminlist.txt and I am admin, I can spawn items but I cannot pick them up nor can I use commands like c_sethealth() or c_setsanity(). Is there anything I can change to set my character to admin properly so it does allow me to spawn items? Thank you.
 You need to execute them remotely. With the console open, you can switch to remote mode with ctrl.

Not sure what's up with the "Bad Host" thing, I'm not sure how that's even calculated for dedicated servers since the only announced measurement was based on FPS. Single-core speed is the most important thing for performance, though, since almost all of the game logic runs on just one thread.

You need to execute them remotely. With the console open, you can switch to remote mode with ctrl.

Not sure what's up with the "Bad Host" thing, I'm not sure how that's even calculated for dedicated servers since the only announced measurement was based on FPS. Single-core speed is the most important thing for performance, though, since almost all of the game logic runs on just one thread.

Well I am currently struggling with the fact that everyone who joins my server gets out of memory error and I simply cannot find out what Plugin or what even is causing it.

• Developer

@M00t,

>>Why isn't it run on multicore

Because a lot of the game is Lua code, and Lua can't be multithreaded easily, or at least not in a way that would keep it moddable at any level of developer-friendlyness.

As for your performance issues - could you grab a profile when the server shows this behaviour? (from the console, either remotely or on the server's console) execute 'TheSim:Profile()' and after about 5 seconds there should be a profile.json in your server's documents directory. If you upload that I could see what your system is struggling with.

Out of curiosity - What tick-rate is your server set to? 

@M00t,

>>Why isn't it run on multicore

Because a lot of the game is Lua code, and Lua can't be multithreaded easily, or at least not in a way that would keep it moddable at any level of developer-friendlyness.

As for your performance issues - could you grab a profile when the server shows this behaviour? (from the console, either remotely or on the server's console) execute 'TheSim:Profile()' and after about 5 seconds there should be a profile.json in your server's documents directory. If you upload that I could see what your system is struggling with.

Out of curiosity - What tick-rate is your server set to? 

I have already posted a profile yesterday in your profile post, it can be found at http://w.teeria.net/profile.json and I was running around 50 mods at the time, It has been reduced by around 10 for now to make things more playable. And my tick rate is set to 60.

Another question, if people don't have the correct mods. Will they be downloaded from the server or the workshop? Because having people joined on my server (Which takes time for them to download the mods to get onto it) causes a tiny bit of lag and especially with 17 people on.

As for the CPU, since the fact it's not multi threading it most likely uses up to almost 100 CPU on that particular core with around 15~ people online so that could explain the lag.

Hi Moot,

this subject already been discussed on several occasions of problem on CPU

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/50310-lag-with-only-ten-people-on-an-i7/

and multithreaded function exists on DST:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/51380-game-update-127906-2232015/

but for now it is not advisable to use because maybe you going have crash on your server, developers work for stabilized this function, be patient, do not forget that this is a beta version and the game is not in the final version, so expect at other bug and other problems of this kind

Hi Moot,

this subject already been discussed on several occasions of problem on CPU

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/50310-lag-with-only-ten-people-on-an-i7/

and multithreaded function exists on DST:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/51380-game-update-127906-2232015/

but for now it is not advisable to use because maybe you going have crash on your server, developers work for stabilized this function, be patient, do not forget that this is a beta version and the game is not in the final version, so expect at other bug and other problems of this kind

You cannot multithread a dedicated server because it doesn't render.

You cannot multithread a dedicated server because it doesn't render.

Added experimental threaded physics. Disabled by default; and enabled with command line option ‘-threaded_physics”.

But as ToNiO55 said, it's a bit unstable right now. It's crashed for me a few times.

But as ToNiO55 said, it's a bit unstable right now. It's crashed for me a few times.

Wouldn't mind it being unstable, the current dedicated server also likes to just kick everyone out the server with no reason (Everyone connection lost) at some times. I'd love to see the dedicated server run on multi. Would clear out a lot of lag.

• Developer

@M00t,

Looked at your profile and the system indeed is struggling.

Using threaded physics wouldn't buy you much, it's only a fraction of the frametime. I am curious what tickrate you have set the server to though as code seems to dominate the profile. I am looking to optimize that as well. Contrary to your belief the mods can affect the performance, depending on what they do on the networking side. But that will hopefully be addressed partially by the scheduled optimization.

As for multithreading, trust me, I have looked into it extensively, but fact is that parts of the system can't be multithreaded to any reasonable extent to give enough gain or without impacting moddablity to an extent where most modders would not enjoy working with it anymore.

As for your users experiencing out of memory - I'd have to checks what mods you were running, but if they added graphics that would be a likely cause.

Wouldn't mind it being unstable, the current dedicated server also likes to just kick everyone out the server with no reason (Everyone connection lost) at some times. I'd love to see the dedicated server run on multi. Would clear out a lot of lag.

Although you will have not lag with this option, but when you will see your server down several times a day, I'm not sure that this solution is for you, but if you want you can test yourself with the risks now that you know

@M00t,

Looked at your profile and the system indeed is struggling.

Using threaded physics wouldn't buy you much, it's only a fraction of the frametime. I am curious what tickrate you have set the server to though as code seems to dominate the profile. I am looking to optimize that as well. Contrary to your belief the mods can affect the performance, depending on what they do on the networking side. But that will hopefully be addressed partially by the scheduled optimization.

As for multithreading, trust me, I have looked into it extensively, but fact is that parts of the system can't be multithreaded to any reasonable extent to give enough gain or without impacting moddablity to an extent where most modders would not enjoy working with it anymore.

As for your users experiencing out of memory - I'd have to checks what mods you were running, but if they added graphics that would be a likely cause.

As stated in a post before, which you might not have read my tick rate is set to 60 as noted on the Wiki this will gain the players as much smooth game-play as possible. And I do wish to grand my users the best game-play as possible. Let me also state a few facts here that it has to do with the amount of mods, what mods you use and the world settings. Too many animals and especially trees touch the server a lot. Once having too many mods installed on your server people then won't be able to join and have out of memory error. I am using around 45 mods at this very moment and the server says OK host up to 8 people (Using huge world with a few often settings here and there to adjust it fully. Beyond 10 people online will cause the server to say Bad host and here is most likely the lag to be happening. Running without any mods will have the server to be able to get up to 20 people without any struggle but then again, no mods.

I also noted that sometimes (which causes randomly without any errors in the logs) the server just kicks everyone out with the "disconnect error" and the console will simply put out that everyone has lost connection due to an unknown reason. The only actual "heavy" mod we're using is the mod that allows us to have more stuff like caves, etc.

PS: Might of already been noted but using multiple mods which require custom crafting will cause them to not work, only the emote will be shown or a random item will be made upon trying to craft. It has been told that this would be fixed soon as well.

PSPS: Most lag spikes happen when either users join (Because they have to download all the mods, especially with high ping) and when people die/resurrect and occasionally when people explore with many npcs/objects in range.

Although you will have not lag with this option, but when you will see your server down several times a day, I'm not sure that this solution is for you, but if you want you can test yourself with the risks now that you know

As I already said before, I am running a Dedicated Server which does NOT allow you to use the multithreaded render option because a Dedicated Server does not render. It's like a headless client.

As I already said before, I am running a Dedicated Server which does NOT allow you to use the multithreaded render option because a Dedicated Server does not render. It's like a headless client.

I think the opposite :p nevermind

• Developer

He was talking about the multithreaded physics I believe. But it won't give you any significant gain, judging from the profile.

As stated in a post before, which you might not have read my tick rate is set to 60 as noted on the Wiki this will gain the players as much smooth game-play as possible

I indeed missed that you were running at 60 tick, but I suspected it.

Well, in that case the wiki is not entirely correct. The tick is expensive, and if you set the tickrate too high it'll cause your framerate to go down. It's definitely something I will look into for optimization, but I can see in your profile that the network tick is dominant, you might want to give 30 a try and see how it plays for your players.

The server randomly kicking everyone out - I have no idea what that can be, could only see that happen if the server for some reason spikes really heavily. I'll have to ponder that one.

But, as said before, optimization is still in progress.

He was talking about the multithreaded physics I believe. But it won't give you any significant gain, judging from the profile.

Well, in that case the wiki is not entirely correct. The tick is expensive, and if you set the tickrate too high it'll cause your framerate to go down. It's definitely something I will look into for optimization, but I can see in your profile that the network tick is dominant, you might want to give 30 a try and see how it plays for your players.

The server randomly kicking everyone out - I have no idea what that can be, could only see that happen if the server for some reason spikes really heavily. I'll have to ponder that one.

Servers may have an issue with tickrate = 30, when i set tickrate = 30 is unplayable, then set to 15 and works fine like it worked on tickrate = 60

c0a8777599a014778cf4a04519b92b8b.png

Regarding random disconnection.

Archived