[Windows] Server shows bad host while it is not? & Item Spawning Issue.

Reporting back once again, the person was right. Setting the tick to 30 makes things worse. You can walk around all fine but other people don't seem to be walking for you (walking emote but they stand still). I changed my tick back to 60.

@Screamer21,

If you get me a profile at tickrate 60, tickrate 30 and tickrate 15 I can maybe see what would be going on there as it's definitely odd. 

Please check my post above, I just confirmed this for tick 30. It's not playable.

60 is fine and I could get a new tick for that right now.
15 I have not tried out yet.

EDIT: That disconnecting just happened twice in a row..

• Developer
Please check my post above, I just confirmed this for tick 30. It's not playable.

Sure, but a profile gives me a lot more info to work with, it'll show me what makes 30 not work. You say it's not playable at 30....in what sense not playable? Performance? Lag? *EDIT* just saw the line above the quote in your post.

Just asking because a lot of servers don't run at 60 tick.

Sure, but a profile gives me a lot more info to work with, it'll show me what makes 30 not work. You say it's not playable at 30....in what sense not playable? Performance? Lag? *EDIT* just saw the line above the quote in your post.

Just asking because a lot of servers don't run at 60 tick.

My server is strong enough to run at 60 so I wouldn't bother. But the disconnect crashes happen with both 15 and 60 (Server runs same as 60 with 15, 30 doesn't allow people to see walking movement) and the profiler can be found here for 15: http://w.teeria.net/profile_15.json

• Developer
My server is strong enough to run at 60 so I wouldn't bother.

...Well, in the current state of the game it apparently isn't - it`s why you started this thread ;)

Thanks for the 15 tick profile, something odd seems to be going on as that profile is clearly showing me it's running its network tick at 30, so I would actually be really interested in seeing one with tickrate 30 because there may be something amiss. It should definitely not behave worse than 15 *and* 60.

...Well, in the current state of the game it apparently isn't - it`s why you started this thread ;)

Thanks for the 15 tick profile, something odd seems to be going on as that profile is clearly showing me it's running its network tick at 30, so I would actually be really interested in seeing one with tickrate 30 because there may be something amiss. It should definitely not behave worse than 15 *and* 60.

Well wouldn't that be obvious, haha.

Either way I could profile the 30, but then people would complain about the walking issue haha.

@M00t

It likely is a bug in DST, but I have never seen it happen (nor do we have any reports of it) so I have very little to work with. It could somehow be specific to your (and your friend's) setup.

Would be handy to see the log why it did disconnect all the players instead of it just saying "Lost connect IP". Else it would be very hard to help indeed.

• Developer

@M00t,

The server can't really say why they disconnected, because they disconnected ungracefully, possibly because of a timeout. You're running a large world, so save takes longer than normal. We're looking into giving better feedback as well as options to prevent this from happening.

• Developer

@M00t,

You could try if disabling autosave stops the disconnects (it'd be nice to know for us if that causes it).

You can disable it with "TheWorld:PushEvent("ms_setautosaveenabled", false)" in the server's console. Since you may want to save the world at times, you can save it with "c_save()" (and can see if that causes the disconnects, I guess). Otherwise the server will save on a proper server shutdown.

@M00t,

You could try if disabling autosave stops the disconnects (it'd be nice to know for us if that causes it).

You can disable it with "TheWorld:PushEvent("ms_setautosaveenabled", false)" in the server's console. Since you may want to save the world at times, you can save it with "c_save()" (and can see if that causes the disconnects, I guess). Otherwise the server will save on a proper server shutdown.

The server does not disconnect every but 2 players because of saving, nor autosaving. I noticed that sometimes it disconnects after spawning items in. But apart from that it also happens without spawning items so it's kinda odd.

@M00t,

Could you do 'CountEntities()' on the server console and get me the output from that? (most interested in the top part). Just to give me an idea how many entities are in your world. 

19945 awake (1195)
NoPrefab: 53

Mostly inventory/evergreen

EDIT:

f9e690db7ca9f293a436a8716c06d739.png

EDIT2: Activity of prefabs go up to 3000 with 10 people online.

@Screamer21

Thanks for the profiles, appreciate it. I can see that they are indeed running at 15, 30 and 60 tick, and nothing strange shows in the profile (it runs a very steady 60 fps). I will try to repro it on one of my own servers.

This weekend ill try to make another profile with 6 players on 30tickrate

@Screamer21,

That would be great :-)

I got great news for you, tick rate 15 on my dedicated server caused people to have rubberbanding (client sided lag) and setting it to 30 would run fine but you wouldn't see people walking (just the emote but they would stand still) and the server is running absolutely fine at tick rate 60. 

EDIT: Downside of 60 tickrate is that server will become bad host with less people online and people seem to walk strangely (some sort of struggling?). 15 tickrate would be better but then people are experiencing rubberbanding.

@Screamer21,

That would be great :-)

I got great news for you, tick rate 15 on my dedicated server caused people to have rubberbanding (client sided lag) and setting it to 30 would run fine but you wouldn't see people walking (just the emote but they would stand still) and the server is running absolutely fine at tick rate 60. 

EDIT: Downside of 60 tickrate is that server will become bad host with less people online and people seem to walk strangely (some sort of struggling?). 15 tickrate would be better but then people are experiencing rubberbanding.

Keep being unplayable for my friends

only 15 tickrate or 60 works fine

30tickrate.zip

Keep being unplayable for my friends

only 15 tickrate or 60 works fine

As of currently the only tick_rate that has been playable for EVERYONE is tick_rate 10. 15 causes rubberbanding clientsided, 30 is unplayable and 60 causes the disconnection issues to arise more than often and causes people to walk in a rather struggling way.

@Screamer21,

Thanks. I am rather puzzled, the server is running a very solid 60fps in that profile so I have no idea why it's showing such odd behaviour for you.

Not for me.... Im in the same computer, for my friends is unplayable, they cant move around the map.... cant pick up anything.... cant play

Tick rate = 15 we are playing smooth

Archived