Can you pick which IP to bind to? Can you prevent firewall rule changing?

Is there a way to tell DST dedicated server which IP to bind to on a box with multiple IP's?

Is there a way to stop DST from altering firewall rules when started?  If you delete the rules it simply adds them back and if you disable them it simply re-enables them.  I do not want the server to alter firewall rules at all, I'd rather add them myself.

The ip itbind to should be decided through your port forwarded. So the default port is 10999 so you'd port forward your ip to that port like

Ip Address      Port Start    Port End

192.168.0.5    10999         10999

Now if you had other computers that have dedicated servers on Don't Starve then you'd just use a new port like 10998 the you'd go into your settings and under your

[network]

server_port = 

you'd wright 10998 and your server will use that port that is using your ip you port forwarded 

Then it should be the same thing, which ever ip you want it to bind to you just port forward that ip to 10999

No, it's not the same thing.  The box has multiple external IP addresses, and I'd like the server to make use of a specific one.  This is not the same as an internal IP such as you might see when multiple computers are behind a router that all share the same external IP.

@MarkL was that reply intended for me?  If so what is being added in the next patch?

Was your reply intended for me?
 Pretty sure it was, he's commented on a couple of requests extremely similar to yours in the past. On the second one he noted intent to implement IP binding. There's been a RoG beta build since he wrote that, so it may be in already.

• Developer

@Morthis

This functionality is now available on the RoG Beta Branch.

It will go live in the main-game when RoG goes live.

To your command line add:

-bind_ip 123.123.123.123

If you get a chance to test this on RoG please let me know if it works for you- it hasn't been fully tested.

Again, this is only available on the RoG beta branch for now.

@MarkL

Thanks for the update.  I've tried the new bind_ip parameter but it doesn't seem to be working for most of the IPs on the box.  The box has 7 IPs total, I've tried 4, and it only worked with 1 of those 4.  The IP for which it did work was not the primary IP of the box.  In all cases the server shows up fine in the server browser, I would simply get the server not responding message when trying to connect when running on the 3 IP's that didn't work.  I've confirmed the other IPs are working and that it is not firewalled off.  The DST server log doesn't show any connection attempt.

Any ideas?  What confuses me the most is that it works for one IP but not the others in the same range (and it's not the primary IP).

• Developer

Hey @Morthis, , 

Thanks for the feedback- I only had two ips locally when I tested so I figured it might have had some rough edges.  I'll take a look into the function and see if I can figure out what's wrong.

Archived