[Feedback] Hosting on a laptop, getting SERIOUS issues.

None of them arise for me, but for my one other friend that plays on the server.

Day 1 is fine, I'm a good host, relatively no lag.

At Day 80, I'm consistently a bad host, and whenever the hounds attack my friend's game becomes erratic and laggy despite him having a ping of less than 20ms.

First off, is there anything further I can do to help this situation?

Second, are there any plans for optimizing the netcode? Because this is a real issue getting in the way of FUN.

• Developer

@Chesska

Could you capture a profile when the issues are occuring and upload it?

(in the console type 'TheSim:Profile()', wait a few seconds and you'd find a profile.json in your DontStarveTogether documents directory).

It can give me some insight on what the issue is on your machine.

As for netcode optimization, yes, that is very much being worked on, but it takes time. However, I'm not sure this is a netcode issue, I'd have to see the profile.

I'll try to answer as much as I can now.

Attached should be a screenshot of my speccy showing my laptop specs. It's not much, obviously, but I think it should be more than enough to run a DST server with just one friend. It can run Minecraft servers with 100+ mods without any issues from either me or my friend, and that's saying something considering we played on a 1.6.X version that was incredibly poorly optimized.

I can't get any in-game data now, we mostly play during the weekends.

We are running a few mods, so that could possibly contribute, but even without mods the issues arise.

And no, I can guarantee you that I did not play the game with my friend for over 10 hours straight without stopping, halting the server, or restarting my computer.

As far as I'm concerned this is as of now a network optimization issue, because I (as the host) experience NO troubles, it's only my friend. I don't get any kind of lag, visual or feedback, and I get absolutely no stuttering at all.

As far as "is there anything I can do" goes, I was asking more along the lines of if turning on settings like Netbook Mode on either computer (me or my friend's) might help, for example. Or if there are any mods/tweaks that I could try that might help. Or if running the server dedicated instead of host&play would help.

post-207561-0-21294100-1426567167_thumb.

• Developer
As far as "is there anything I can do" goes, I was asking more along the lines of if turning on settings like Netbook Mode on either computer (me or my friend's) might help, for example. Or if there are any mods/tweaks that I could try that might help. Or if running the server dedicated instead of host&play would help.

Running a dedicated server can help as it in effect multithreads part of the game. For other suggestions I'd really need to see a profile because under normal circumstances you should have no issue running the game with 2 players (even without network optimization) , so there's something iffy going on and a profile might give me more insight.

Archived