Random events and other things

- Random Thunderstorms

Thunders fall at random locations were the character is set.

Entire forests and biomes can burn with a random event like this.

If all the biome burns or becomes very damaged maybe its time to pack things and search a better place.

- Random Plagues

The character wakes up and the biome has flies all over the place.

Farms can become completely sterile for an amount of time (~15 days) or forever.

Fauna or flora can die completely and forever.

This will force the player to pack his things and migrate.

- Random Thief

A random thief (goblin or other creature) will appear and steal all the items from a random slot of your inventory. You can't do anything about that.

Sometimes, you'll find one of the thief's hiding places guarded by one of his brothers and you'll be able to have your revenge ... or not.

- Craft Sign Posts

To help with some orientation

- Craft Shields

Activated with RMB when equipped

- Broken bones and bleeding

On a fight the character can suffer a broken bone injury (slowing his movement) and a bleeding injury (losing health over time).

To heal this injuries splints (twigs + rope) and bandages (???) will be needed

- Illness Status

The character can become ill by some situations. Ex: eating always the same thing, keeping the hunger meter on low values for too long, or wearing inappropriate clothes for a specific weather, etc.

Effects: Reduced FOV; confusion (ex: harvest grass and its a twig); death in three days if not treated.

- Poison Status

The character can be poisoned by some creatures. Ex. spiders, snakes, etc.

Effects: Reduced FOV; slow movement and death in a day if not treated.

- Elixir Potion (cure illness)

Made with a specific combination of flowers.

- Antidote Potion (cure poison)

Made with a live poisonous creature.

- Bottles (for elixir and antidote potions)

Crafted with sand and fire

- Grass Snakes

Harvesting grass has a very low probability to spawn a poisonous snake.

- Bridge Bosses and Tax Collectors

The world will have special bridges guarded by monsters or tax collectors that are blocking your way to continue exploring the world or to access special areas. You will need to defeat the monsters or pay the tax collectors a huge quantity of items (farm items, cooked items, crafted items, etc) to gain access to a key that will open the bridge for ever.

- Bridge Broken Devices

Like the Bridge Bosses or Tax Collector you will find gates, controlled by a broken steam engine, blocking the passage. To repair the device you will have to use charcoal, rope and solve a random pipe puzzle for a short period of time. If you fail you'll need to restart with another piece of charcoal, rope and solve a new randomized pipe puzzle.

- New life = New world

If you die you can't use the same world again.

Edited by Antr4cite

All great ideas except broken bones and new life. I don't really like the idea of breaking your bones, yeah it's realistic but too much I think. What if someone likes the world they are on right now and want to keep playing on it?

I like this.

Maybe instead of set items and a mini-game, the steam engines would require random items in varying quantities. Twigs to pick the exhaust pipe clean of refuse, stone blocks to keep it upright, silk and grass to plug a hole in some hosing, charcoal/logs/manure for fuel, rope to connect the engine to the bridge, reeds to replace some pipes, etc.

The islands behind the engines/boss/collector could be extra fertile yet, hostile islands, the obstacle on the bridge could just be there to prove that you are ready for such a challenge.

You could even have a BIG tree that could only be cut down with a golden axe that would form a bridge to the new island, a rock that can only be broken with a gold pick on the bridge, or big pile of dirt that is shoveled into place to form a bridge.

Right now it seems a little too easy to just run from island to island, some obstacle would fit the struggle this game promotes.

All this in my opinion of course.

I think the random thief needs some tweaking, directly stealing from the player's inventory is slightly obnoxious. (Instead of an option to kill the thief, how 'bout trading?)

The idea is to surprise the player and make him angry with this particular character when he steals something of great value in a particular moment.

The idea of trading can be applied but I would prefer the revenge treatment.

I like this.

Maybe instead of set items and a mini-game, the steam engines would require random items in varying quantities. Twigs to pick the exhaust pipe clean of refuse, stone blocks to keep it upright, silk and grass to plug a hole in some hosing, charcoal/logs/manure for fuel, rope to connect the engine to the bridge, reeds to replace some pipes, etc.

The islands behind the engines/boss/collector could be extra fertile yet, hostile islands, the obstacle on the bridge could just be there to prove that you are ready for such a challenge.

You could even have a BIG tree that could only be cut down with a golden axe that would form a bridge to the new island, a rock that can only be broken with a gold pick on the bridge, or big pile of dirt that is shoveled into place to form a bridge.

Right now it seems a little too easy to just run from island to island, some obstacle would fit the struggle this game promotes.

All this in my opinion of course.

Interesting ideas.

+1

I think the bridge idea is taking it to far from a survival game and more into a RPG I want to say something of WoW which this game is nothing like it.

and also what would be a way to get sand?

I think this idea has a place in the survival genre because these challenges are a survival obstacle that you have to pass if you want to stay alive.

With the random events, Sooner or later, you will be forced to move and the bridge challenges (harder the more you survive) will be like a season migration survival test.

Sand you can get from a special biome.