Sign in to follow this  
Moonphos

[Monsters] Swamp, Graveyard, and Hounds!

Recommended Posts

Moonphos    20

Sorry, but there's no Art for these. I'm a terrible artist.

Swamp - Shoggopus

Know what Shoggoth is? It is a massive monster that has no actual shape, by H.P Lovecraft.

Well, during a discussion in another thread that I can't recall, mythical creature theme came up. Shoggoth sort-of was the first thing that came to my mine. But I'm not suggesting for a Shoggoth... Yet.

Here's the actual suggestion - Shoggopus

Yes, it's a random name, mix between Shoggoth and Octopus.

What is this creature? - As a creature that resides within the Swamp, these creatures keep themselves safe by staying under the swamp, and feed by using their Tentacles to attack, snare, and drag their prey under the swamp. If the prey does not die from the spikes at the end of the Tentacles, they'll die by drowning instead, before the Shoggopus eats the remains.

How does this creature look? - Basic shape, it is similar to an Octopus - 8 tentacles and a large body. However, the body is actually a giant mouth, coupled with many abyssal eyeballs and an insatiable appetite. In Actual Game - This monster will actually have only 2 functioning Tentacles, 6 broken ones, and its mouth-body.

How does it spawn? - A flat chance of 16%, when you kill a Tentacle monster in the swamp. The reason is because of its model design. By estimation, you have 1/6 chance to make a Shoggopus spawn when you kill a Tentacle. Or at a VERY BASIC MATH, you cut off 6 tentacles, it gets angry, comes out of hiding, and tries to eat you instead. Thus, the model design and the spawning method.

How does it move? - With the Mouth-Body looking at you, it uses its remaining 2 tentacles to drag itself across the swamp. It will be biome-bounded, so it will not move away from swamp areas. If you run out of the Swamp, it will stop chasing you, but will be aggressive when you try to go back. It will still attack you if you are in range. In addition, it is very slow (1/2 of player speed), and a player can easily out-run it... if he/she can.

Attacking methods? - The Shoggopus has 2 attack methods - Melee and Short-range. At Melee range, it basically tries to eat you. If you move back a certain distance, it will use its remaining tentacle to grapple and pull you back, into melee range. This creature forcefully prevents you from escaping.

Then how the hell do we kill this thing? - There will be a certain "Sweet Spot" method, which the Shoggopus cannot attack you with both Melee and Short Range attacks, so as not to be overwhelm.


000
0S0 M M S T T
000

S = Shoggopus - M = Melee range - S = Sweet Spot - T = Tentacle grapple

Assuming M, S and T as "1 character distance" away from Shoggopus, it will pull you in when you are 4th or higher character-model distance away, while it will melee you right at the face to 1 distance away. So you can run up to roughly 3 char-distance away, let it do its melee animation, then run in for a swing.

Okay... How tough is this guy? - As strong as Spider Queen. Shoggopus melee will hit 3 times, but does 1/3 damage per hit. Tentacle will deal the same damage, but only once.

If this is so tough, what will it be dropping as loot? - A few common items and a special material: 0-2 Tentacle Spikes, 0-2 Tentacle Spot, 6-8 Monster Meat, and 1 Material. I have no idea what "Material", but this will be 100% drop. Recipe for this material will require lots of it, and can either be functional or aesthetic.

Why this creature suggestion? - I'm bored... and random.

Graveyard - Mandragora

I refer to this thread first.

Well, I pretty much agree that zombies and skeletons are over-used, so here's a different suggestion - Mandragora

...No, I'm not thinking of a demon monster, as suggested by that wiki link in the name.

Then what the hell is it? - A plant... A carnivorous, undead plant. I want to keep this more Graveyard theme, so it will have something to do with skeleton and zombie.

Okay, how does it look? - I did say plant, but the model will look more creature-ish. Sporting a stem that are bone-joints with rotting pieces of flesh still attached, it has a big skeletal mouth and teeth, still teeming with blood and rot. It has no eyes.

How does it spawn? - Same way as Ghosts does: you dig them out. Shares the same chance as Ghost.

How does it move? - It doesn't move. The bone stem will be attached to the ground.

Attacking method? - Bites your head off. No other special attack characteristics.

Wait, so you're suggesting a Tentacle-like monster? - Yes, except this one bites your head off instead of slapping you around.

We want a NEW monster, not a copy-paste! - Well, bite me then.

*BITES!* - OUCH! Stop that!

Fine, what does it drop? - 1-3 Bones at 80% chance, OR 1 Mandragora's Skull (item) at 20% chance.

What's that? - Bones will function as a range weapon. You throw it at enemies. Hits as hard as swinging a Tool, with 75% chance of breaking when you hit something. Mandragora's Skull is a plant item that can be used for cooking, or used as a "Material" for future "Magic" ingredients.

---

Would a black cat be fitting in the Graveyard theme as well?

Maybe something as a joke.

If you dig up an empty grave there might be a chance of a black cat popping out an scurrying away like the rabbits do (ofcourse under loud screeching or hissing).

Just expanding on another idea, credits to Karisuto.

Black Cat - This creature will spawn in the darkness of the night, at the edge of darkness, when you are roaming in the graveyard. It will growl at the player, and swipe at the player when approached, but will not run away.

However, when daylight comes, it will scuttle away very fast (2x Gobbler's speed), and despawn off-screen.

Loots - Morsel @ 95% chance, Furball @ 5% (Material for Recipe)

All About Hounds

JUST TO SAY! This has NOTHING TO DO with the regular Hound Assault.

I've read several threads about Hounds, Hound pets, and Hound AI. So I want to suggest several things with regards to Hounds.

Hound Den

The Hound Den is a interactable structure, similar to Spider Nest and Honeycomb. The Den is made of Rocks and Stones, so it will not be flammable (will explain why later). Hound Den will be situated in a clearing within a Forest Biome.

The Den will be guarded by several Hounds (obviously). However, the behavior will be far different from the Hound Assault. In daylight, the Hounds patrolling/guarding the Den will be passive-aggressive, sharing the same AI as Tall Bird. If you go too near to the Den, they will attack you. 50% of the Hounds will be patrolling, while 50% will be resting. If you attack any of the Hounds, all Hounds will wake up and attack you.

At night, all the Hounds will be aggressive. If they see a player, they will attack, similar to Hound Assault.

For the Hound Den itself, if you attack the Den, it will spawn 1-3 Flame Hounds immediately. They will be ferociously guarding the Den to the death. Because the Den is made of Rocks and Stones, it will not catch fire. When you destroy the Den, it will drop the same loot as a Boulder, along with 3-5 Hound Puppies! And they will scuttle away from you in terror!

Hound Puppy - All item recipes will be written at the end of the post.

To catch a Hound Puppy, you need to have Animal Net equipped, and attack using the net.

To keep the Hound Puppy, you need to construct a Hound Stand and a Hound Leash. The Stand is a simple, strong pole. The Leash is a collar and a line to keep your Hound Puppy from running away. You place the Stand down, then the Puppy on the floor. Before the Puppy runs away, you "apply" the Leash on the Puppy, and you will receive "Leashed Puppy" as a weapon, with the Puppy on the floor. The Leashed-Puppy will act similarly as Backpack - It cannot be kept as an inventory item.

You can interact with the Stand to tie the Leash on the Stand, removing it from your hand as a weapon. Your Puppy may only travel up to several meters away from the Stand. During such event, it will automatically attack anything that is not the player.

If you do NOT keep the Leashed-Puppy in hand, or on the Stand, the Puppy will run away from you, with the Leash!

There are several things you can do with Hound Puppy, which will train it to have different behaviors when it turns adult.

Weapon - This is not something to bring into a REAL fight. Carrying the Leash, you bring your Puppy (it can only travel several meters away) with you. You can tell your Puppy to attack Animals (e.g Rabbit), and this will train it to HUNT.

Defense - If you leave the Leash on the Stand, and when something attacks you while you're near the "Leashed Stand", the Puppy will attack the intruder if within range. This will train it to defend you.

Utility - If you are overly protective, you can simply just feed it food.

Adult Hound Pets - A.Hound for short

After several in-game days, with training, your Puppy will fully grow into an Adult Hound. The type of A.Hound it becomes will be based on which activity your A.Hound has done while being a Puppy.

Red Collar Hound - Aggressive A.Hound, it will attack anything within range, except the player. You need to keep your leash in hand as Weapon, or it will charge off randomly, even if to its death. Deals as much damage as a Hound during a Hound Assault.

Green Collar Hound - Defensive A.Hound. You do not need to keep the Leash as Weapon. The A.Hound will stay close to you, being protective. It will not randomly attack animals and predators, but will do so if you are attacked, or on your command (similarly to current Tamed Pigmen). Deals the same damage as Red Collar Hound.

Blue Collar Hound - Utility A.Hound. You do not need to keep the Leash as Weapon. The A.Hound will NOT attack or defend, not even if it gets attacked. However, being a SUPER FRIENDLY A.Hound, you treat it as though it is your best friend! Sanity Meter will receive a x0.3 multipler for Negative actions, and x1.5 multipler for Positive actions.

Hound Jealousy

If you bring another Hound Puppy back, your current Hound (Puppy or Adult) will attack that New-Comer.

If both are Puppies, the winner will immediately scuttle away from you unless Leashed onto the Stand.

If you have an A.Hound (any type, including Blue Collared), it will immediately one-shot the Puppy.

However - That doesn't mean you can't have a SECOND hound pet. You simply can't have both too near to each other, at any given time.

So you have 2 bases, and Base A has a fully grown Red or Blue Collar, and you have Base B, with a fully grown Blue Collar...

If you bring both together, Red will attack Blue. Despite that, Blue will not attack back.

However, if you bring both Blue Collars together, it will trigger jealousy, and both the Blue Collars will battle.

Recipes

Animal Net - Twigs (6), Spider Web (15)

Hound Stand - Board (5)

Hound Leash - Rope (5)

Edited by Moonphos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iHasRainboez    10

I do not like setting the cap for the any things. Why not make it so if you get another hound the 2 of them will start being aggresive and battle between each other. Making it more realistic..

Anyways on top of that I like this thread, full of intresting things fully explained +1 :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moonphos    20
I do not like setting the cap for the any things. Why not make it so if you get another hound the 2 of them will start being aggresive and battle between each other. Making it more realistic..

They do! As Puppies. Because you can only bring back Puppies (as oppose to a full adult), the other Puppy would, somehow, get 'jealous'. So it will attack the "newcomer", and become a death match. The surviving puppy will be your puppy.

And since you can only bring back puppies, if you already have an adult hound... well, it's like a 20++ year old adult bullying a 6 year old kid - No winning chance.

It's not exactly a hard-cap, but I guess you can't have them all at the same place.

You made a point that I have failed to address, so thank you!

Anyways on top of that I like this thread, full of intresting things fully explained +1 :)

Thanks ^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xeezy    11

Oh my god. Yes. Hound Dens. Hound Puppies. YES.

The other monster ideas are great too, graveyards are safe and it's a great way to get research points as of now, considering some of the grave items even give as much as 100 research points. The ghosts are nothing and rarely spawn. Swamp idea sounds great too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Karisuto    10

Would a black cat be fitting in the Graveyard theme as well?

Maybe something as a joke.

If you dig up an empty grave there might be a chance of a black cat popping out an scurrying away like the rabbits do (ofcourse under loud screeching or hissing).

For graveyards check the cemetary link as well:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?5108-Cementary-skeletons-zombies-right

And when talking about hounds I always think of a piece of art called "Lightning Hounds" made by Andrew Robinson for the Wizards of the Coast branch. It really speaks to the imagination, for me at least. That might be cool as well. Maybe for in a different biome or for a different season.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=19618

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moonphos    20
Would a black cat be fitting in the Graveyard theme as well?

Maybe something as a joke.

If you dig up an empty grave there might be a chance of a black cat popping out an scurrying away like the rabbits do (ofcourse under loud screeching or hissing).

Hmm, good idea, although I have a different approach to this. Will update the OP

It's linked in the first line of the graveyard suggestion :D

And when talking about hounds I always think of a piece of art called "Lightning Hounds" made by Andrew Robinson for the Wizards of the Coast branch. It really speaks to the imagination, for me at least. That might be cool as well. Maybe for in a different biome or for a different season.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=19618

Hhhmm, interesting... But somehow, I don't think it fits the game's theme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Karisuto    10
Hmm, good idea, although I have a different approach to this. Will update the OP

...Getting curious. :) (OP? OP=OverPowered in my dictionary :S )

It's linked in the first line of the graveyard suggestion :D

Ah eh... :p... Didn't see the hyperthread/hyperlink in blue.

Hhhmm, interesting... But somehow, I don't think it fits the game's theme.

Alright, I just really wanted to share the idea/pic. I like it a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this