Longest days survived on Dedicated servers?

I made it  to 100 days on NY Community 2 a few days ago. I had only let one person into my base while keeping it a secret from everyone else. I had so many ghosts at one point harassing me to restart during winter that I had to stay in my base with the tent. It was really something. At day 98 I gave my base to some fresh spawn and logged off at day 100. Of course it was gone the next day but it was a nice adventure.

I have to say that's pretty cool. :grin: How'd you manage to keep it a secret for so long? 

General rule of them is to build very far away from a portal. Savannahs are usual hot spots but most people tend to stick to the roads and not go beyond that. First from the portal you had the grasslands with beehives, flowers and berries, then a small savannah then a thick forest where the path ended. Well if you kept going deeper into the forest you would find a savannah with another disconnected path. No one really thought to look past the thick forest thinking that was the end of the area. I got pretty lucky! 

150 days on Amsterdam server (survival), reseted after i went to sleep and 400 days on Diabu's server (endless) AND, i'm still alive ; )

Same method as Birdget : build a base as far as you can from the portal and keep it secret. You must also are able to survive without a base (because griefers will always find it and destroy it...). Use rabbits and koelephant to eat and keep everything on your backpack (silk - healing salve - 40 grass - 40 twigs...). For winter, you just need a Mac Tusk Hat and a heat stone.

General rule of them is to build very far away from a portal. Savannahs are usual hot spots but most people tend to stick to the roads and not go beyond that. First from the portal you had the grasslands with beehives, flowers and berries, then a small savannah then a thick forest where the path ended. Well if you kept going deeper into the forest you would find a savannah with another disconnected path. No one really thought to look past the thick forest thinking that was the end of the area. I got pretty lucky! 

Sssshh... Don't share your trade secrets. Griefers will find you much faster now. Though that is only if they even visit the forums. lol

On a serious note, congrats on surviving for that long on a survival server with a lot of ghosts. Just curious, what was the max amount of ghosts you dealt with?

Usually never go beyond 36d second winter since it doesn't help the newcomer and bait griefer even more, but I took the challenge this time :livid:.

Made it to 100-110d wickerbottom survival mode on some 12 max slot dedicated server...(seriously 6 max is enough people  :indecisiveness: )

Built base every spot that looked easy access to newcomer( starting point,near befalo, or a good pond+rabbit+etc spot) and kept a "secret base" (not so secret..like in middle of king pig village but opposite and quite far of the befalo/spawn  :livid:)  I could manage for me and drop supply/heart for other base later.

End is the same, everything got hammered and re-hammered by someone  :indecisiveness:

Conclusion, I'm not going to do this again...or maybe not anytime soon  :livid:

@AzuredreamsXT, probably the second one but only when it comes to Survival Mode Servers which should only be played co-op unless there is an agreed upon challenge that friends on that server would play and competitively kill each other off.

Whereas the first question, is heavily true for Endless and Wilderness PvP servers. It's kill or be killed on those, unless you're willing to risk your life with someone you don't trust. Dedicated Wilderness servers are my go to servers. Killing off griefers there actually forces them to leave you alone for a long while until they get their bearings of the map again and find your camp. But by then you're already prepared to kill them... yet again. The cycle continues and they'll just give up and leave the server completely.

On a serious note, congrats on surviving for that long on a survival server with a lot of ghosts. Just curious, what was the max amount of ghosts you dealt with?

Thanks! I had at most 2 ghosts harassing me during my first winter and later on I dealt with 4 ghosts around the second winter. Once you have several drying racks, a tent, and a tam ghosts aren't really a issue. I would occasionally bring a heart or some meat effigies to portal and told them to go there but I would otherwise avoid being seen. Like if I saw a corpse I would drop a meat effigy on top of it and told the ghost to go to their corpse. I felt like batman. I had a situation where I had ghosts following me so I led them to an abandoned base and pretended it was my own to which they destroyed everything. The moment morning hit I took off with my walking cane and lost them.

Is the point of survival games with strangers to be the last one standing and take other players out?

Or are most people playing online just assholes? 

You kind of have to come up with your own goals and motivations in Don't Starve otherwise the game will get stale very quickly. I usually solely do survival servers as Wilderness and Endless are a playground for PVPers and griefers. I jumped on SanFran wilderness for a change of pace and decided to try out being on the other side of the player spectrum. It was interesting to say the least, killing people and taking their things. It was a lot more stimulating than finding the materials yourself. You also tend to change your order of items prototyped as I spent more time increasing my offensive power through looking for materials to make things under the fight tab.

Multiplayer is definitely a different environment but there really isn't anything wrong with what choice players decide to pick in this game whether it be bandit, hero, neutral, ghost.

Archived