Trapping rabbits in DS vs. DST

I have noticed that trapping rabbits is not as reliable in DST as in DS. This was always my first food source in DS. I would set traps right on top of the rabbit holes, no bait, and they were usually all full by nightfall. It seems like traps are not as reliable in DST. I am placing them over the holes AND baiting with carrots, and I catch probably half the rabbits. Have you folks had a similar experience?

I will have to change my strategy for acquiring food. What do you recommend as a primary food source instead of/in addition to trapping rabbits?

Spider nests, Boomerangs to kill off Birds that fly down and Bird Traps for consistent Bird Meat. Those are the three main things I aim for when playing DST. With DS, I go for farm, farm, farms. Do note, that you can cook birds straight into the fire to always produce cooked morsel. Instead of murdering them in your inventory first, which has a chance to drop feathers instead and that isn't the goal here.

Once I get all the necessary ingredients, I can make bacon and eggs indefinitely. But that's just me.

@melikepuppy, Apparently the spawn rate in the original game was actually twice as high as it was supposed to be, and the devs never really noticed until they went to decrease it for DST. Now it's what they intended it to be originally, so yes, the rabbit spawn rates have been halved. 

But rabbits are actually not that great a source of food, in my opinion. You can catch a few and use the morsels with monstermeat and a birdcage to get bacon and eggs, which is one of the best foods. Sometimes I'll also make meaty stew, though-- that is the most hunger-efficient food if you have lots of meat. But relying on rabbits entirely for food (or with berries) is pretty labor-intensive compared to other food gathering strategies (especially compared to koalefant hunting and spider/morsel bacon and egg approaches, or farming dragonfruits with Wickerbottom's books).

For me, rabbits always was an emergency source of food, because you need to actually hunt rabbits to get morsel, when you most likely already have a lot of monster meat or another random findings during exploration that slowly spoiling in the chest/icebox. Rabbits are more like jerky (food that doesn't spoil and you saving it for black days, and you have to prepare it), but actually can be cooked in crock pot. Even in RoG (you just set up traps when you need it).

Actually, why you can't use jerky in cooking?

Archived