[General] - Try Yelling Louder

Jau

Bug Submission:

Category: General

Issue Title: Try Yelling Louder

Issue Description: After the last update, was everything ok. All the servers was there, and I was able to connect and play with people.

Today, when I try to enter in a public server, it says "Server not responding. Try yelling louder?"

Its kinda sad cause this is my favorite game and I can't play it.

Steps to Reproduce: 1- Open the game

2- Select a server

3- Wait 3 sec load

4- "Try yelling louder"

Looks like this result each connection attempt:

[00:00:30]: [200] Account Communication Success (13)[00:00:30]: Joining Steam Room : 109775241782238271[00:00:30]: void cSteamPunchthrough::MessageResult( RakNet::Console_JoinRoom * message )[00:00:30]: Failed to join steam game[00:00:30]: PushNetworkDisconnectEvent With Reason: "ID_CONNECTION_ATTEMPT_FAILED"

To me, it's a little non-descript but I could suggest a couple of things to try while someone with some pro skills attends XD

Do you have a software firewall or firewall/antivirus/antispyware combo running? You could try disabling that temporarily, as to me that seems the most likely culprit. If not then just mayyybe..

Do you have any mods running when you try to join? Maybe kill em first.

Have you tried right clicking Don't Starve Together in the Steam Library, clicking Properties, Local Files tab and Verifying the game cache? I would hope if all the files are in good nick and nothing is being firewall blocked, the game should always work for people.

Oh and I guess it's possible your internet is dropping packets so hard you just can't get a connection? If you click start and type

ping google.com -t

you can watch that for a minute and make sure all the packets are getting through, with no errors noted. If you were to see heaps of errors, that would likely stop you doing much with your interwebs, including gaming.

Hope that's of some use to you! Let us know how you progress :)

• Developer

@Jau,

The connection error is coming from Steam, telling us we can't join the lobby for the game.  I've added some more debugging information in the next hotfix (hopefully today).  I would love to see this log again after the hotfix, because it will actually tell me what has failed.

Not too sure what's going on with the mods listing yet,  try restarting your computer and then verify cache in Steam.

• Developer

@Jau,  In the new patch (just went live) you should get better information on what's going on to help us fix the problem.  Please let me know what happens now when you try to connect.

It looks like lots of mods are running,  I would recommend starting the game with no mods enabled and try joining a mod free server.  Let me know if you can do that successfully.

@MarkL, when I launch the game and click the play button, the server list stay empty. All mods are disabled, internet connection ok, filters disabled, everything is ok, but the server list is empty. And yes, I did read about the new patch, but I don't know what is happening. (Sorry for bothering you, but I really want to play)

@rezecib, thank you <3 

• Developer

Hey @Jau, could you upload a new log.txt?  

The one you previously uploaded shows you received the server listings

"[00:03:35]: Downloaded server listings - full: 2458 filtered: 1200"

Also please make sure you are on the latest version of the game.

@Jau, Hmm, okay. Your log says it's on the right version, so there must be something going wrong with what version it thinks the other servers are, I guess. Line 740 of serverlistingscreen.lua should be this:

local version_check_failed = serverdata.version ~= tonumber(APP_VERSION)

Add this below it:

print("server version:", serverdata.version, "my version:", APP_VERSION)

That should print out some more information in the log (you should also be able to see it in-game by bringing up the console with "~"). It'll only print that out for servers that show up, so you'll have to get it to show the red list of servers.

I didn't understand. Where should I add this?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together Beta\data\scripts\screens\serverlistingscreen.lua

Open in Notepad++ (or notepad if you really don't want an awesome text editor) and find (on line 740): 

local version_check_failed = serverdata.version ~= tonumber(APP_VERSION)

Add the print line Rez gave you under that line and it should print you some useful version debug info in your console and log.txt to upload or quote from

Archived