[General] - PLEASE HELP ME SERVER CONNECTION ISSUES

AWildRuby

Bug Submission:

Category: General
Issue Title: PLEASE HELP ME SERVER CONNECTION ISSUES
Issue Description: Okay I've been trying to play on DST for the past few weeks now and i can only join dedicated servers. I can't join any hosted servers. I've been able to join 2 times but any time after that i either get a "Loading..." loop or I get "Disconnected" .. I don't use any mods currently. I've been trying for about 3 weeks now please help! 
Steps to Reproduce: .My friend sends me an invite on steam, that didn't work. I tried joining from server list and that didn't work. I've tried both of us turning off our firewall and that doesn't work. We've tried changing the settings like friends only password protected etc, nothings working. He can join hosted with no problem, so I know its not him. Anyone have any idea how to get around this issue or when Klei will work on a fix? Because we both have good specs and i can get on dedicated servers very fast, just not ANY hosted, not even my friends. I bought the mega pack just to play DST PLEASE help me find a fix or a way to use hamachi anything at all for just me and him to play together :(!

The attached file below is me trying to join my friends hosted server from steam. This is the one i disconnect on.

log.txt

Working on uploading it, all the mods  I have are disabled. I haven't tried using them yet because of this connection issue :l
~
I'll upload this file too just to remove any questions you may have about dedicated. I can join dedicated servers within 1min or so, no issues with that, just hosted.

This is me joining a dedicated server, not sure if it helps.

As you can tell i really want this fixed lol

log.txt

Uploaded to my first post, I joined the server using steam this time. If I try to join ANY HOSTED SERVERS from the server list I get a "Loading.." loop and this goes on for 40min+ till i decide to close out UNLESS the world gets regenerated if that happens I get stuck on the generation screen and nothing happens after that. I'll add the file when I try to join from server list if it makes any difference. Here you go.

log.txt

Drat! Well, shucks I tried XD

I guess it's a stretch, but I had one mod that caused my game to bugger up, even when it wasn't Enabled in the mods menu..

Maybe you could unsubscribe from any mods you are subbed to, check the Mods menu to see it's empty and give it a crack again? 

I don't really remember Hamachi, but anything that effectively emulates a LAN network over WAN should work I would have thought? Just join eachother's network, someone start up a LAN game and that's it? ahh actually I kinda do remember someone mentioning you can't control what LAN interface DST wants to use.. Perhaps that's a problemo with the Hamach idea, idk..

@AWildRuby, The main difference between the way that the dedicated servers and other servers handle connections is that normal servers use Steam to do NAT punchthrough. I don't pretend to understand what that really means (I only have some vague ideas), but googling "Steam punchthrough not working" brought me to some posts that mentioned that some routers do not support NAT punchthrough. What router are you using?

If your friend forwards port 10999, then that should get around having to use punchthrough to connect to him, so that might let you at least play with him when he's hosting.

Belkin is terrible in my experience (Especially the WIFI) though port forwarding should be simple enough.

*edit* replies appeared as I posted this, gotta read em XD

Do you have another log file now showing success in initially connecting instead of needing a punch through, having forwarded the port on the host's router?

The Model is: 3801HGV

And sure I'll add my log.

I tried again just before i added the log, got a loading loop and closed out about 15mins later

Is there a way one of you could get Marks attention on this? D: I can't message him and I'm not sure of how to get him to help.

log.txt

• Developer

Hey everyone,

I'm looking into this right now.  It's pretty strange,  because it looks like you connect successfully- and then everything falls apart after that

[00:01:46]: Connecting using Steam Punchthrough address

[00:01:51]: Connection request accepted to 105.167.133.88|1 with GUID 1107885513911197860
[00:01:51]: Network external address discovered: 165.96.122.76|1
[00:01:51]: SendClientHandShakePacket: KwMFphIuYtgqAl36I5jZqGMNOCgZNsZf to 1107885513911197860

I have a few other reports of the same issue- trying to figure out the common denominator now.

Archived